Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

CRD Coolant Leak

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  voids 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Cant find any information on this particular coolant leak.. does anyone have any idea's on the cause as i've looked the car all over and cant see the source :( ( picture stolen from another forum, user has same issue with no resolution )

Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Vehicle

So the question is... what is the failure here... ?

See less See more
#2 ·
If that's where I think it is (next to the A/C compressor?) my DI had a similar leak, though from memory it was more to the left and actually on the compressor bolts. It was leaking from the thermostat housing where it mates to the motor (Behind and below the alternator) and running down and dripping off the bottom in a similar area.

If you look down from the top with a torch (hard to see, lots of crap in the way but easier if no second battery) you might be able to get a better clue.

It's a long story as to WHY mine was leaking, but lets just say I had replaced the thermostat and Confucius say 'lazy man do work twice' ;)

#3 ·
Have a look from the top, see if its leaking from the top of the timing cover,
mine has been leaking from there for the last few years, only happens whan the engine is cold dosent cause any other problems apart from that or hasent really gotten worse, I check it every few days but only have to top it up a few ml every few months So at this point i dont really see a need in fixing mine.

#4 ·
#6 ·
As someone said have a good look from the top as well, it is not uncommon for a small leak to develop where the head meets the timing cover, there are a few members both here and OS who have this, it usually seals itself when engine warms up and may actually look worse if you start it up and turn it off before it reaches temp, this sometimes allows the "gap" to stay open a little longer.

That point underneath on the AC unit seems to be where everything eventually congregates, I accidentally left my filler cap off and started the engine a while back, caused a bit of a mess, cleaned it up but still a wisp of oil finds its way to the head of that bolt after a while :).

#7 ·
i'm in the middle of fixing this, the engine is out at the moment. this is an stupid design and to get the timing cover off you have to remove the sump and to remover the sump you have to remove the transmision. what a joke

#8 ·
Ended up replacing all hoses, thermostat, waterpump... one hose was slightly leaky.

Could seem to see it leaking from the front timing cover ( although i notice i only get a coolant leak when the OVERFLOW is on MAX )

still not sure what i should do as i'm about to throw about 10k worth of mods at this car - and dont want to throw 10k only to have the engine pull the pin.

#10 ·
coud that 2ma current ( pretty big for alloy) to damage alloy head in the long run?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.