1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Happy new year!

I have a 2010 3L CRD.

Been doing research and many mixed results on people blocking the EGR with mixed results. Some put a small hole in the blanking plate others don't?

Other mods are 3 inch exhaust. Catch can I'm about to fit. I have boost and EGT gauges so I can monitor for over boosting but CRD ecu is better at stopping this without dawes?

This will also save me the pain of removing the inlet manifold to try clean the thing as seems painful.

Keen to hear others results. Thanks !!

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,395 Posts
Blocking the EGR on a CRD is good for engine longevity, but bad for emissions. Although I've never heard of anyone getting fined over having the EGR blocked in Australia, in theory it is possible as it is against the law to tamper with emission stuff.

Drilling a hole in the plate is pointless as it then doesn't block the EGR anymore. The reason why people drill a hole is because the blanking plate causes the vehicle's ECU to detect a fault with the EGR system. Having a hole stops it from throwing a code as the hole then lets enough exhaust gas through to not trigger the fault, but then you're effectively back to square one.

Best way to stop it throwing a code is to have a remap. Second option is to have some form of OBDII device connected that you can use to reset fault codes on the go.

My understanding of the problem is it's two-fold. Having the exhaust gasses recirculating through the intake in itself is not necessarily the issue. The fact that it occurs while mixed with oil vapour from the crank case is what is creating the gunk that cakes on and eventually blocks the system. A good quality, properly functioning catch can will go a long way with helping the exhaust gasses stay dry and go through the intake system without getting stuck. Catch cans are also not illegal, but eventually soot will build up and clog the system.

Depending on the age / mileage on your Patrol, my suggestion would be as follows:
1. Fit a catch can ASAP.
2. As painfully as it sounds (and is), if your Patrol is a high mileage one, I'd suggest you remove the manifold / EGR system and clean it.
3. If you plan on doing any further engine mods (e.g. upgraded turbo etc.) do a remap at that time to get rid of the EGR completely. CRD's with a 3" exhaust can already benefit from a remap, but you don't want to do that twice if you can avoid it.

I'm no expert, but that's m2cw.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blocking the EGR on a CRD is good for engine longevity, but bad for emissions. Although I've never heard of anyone getting fined over having the EGR blocked in Australia, in theory it is possible as it is against the law to tamper with emission stuff.

Drilling a hole in the plate is pointless as it then doesn't block the EGR anymore. The reason why people drill a hole is because the blanking plate causes the vehicle's ECU to detect a fault with the EGR system. Having a hole stops it from throwing a code as the hole then lets enough exhaust gas through to not trigger the fault, but then you're effectively back to square one.

Best way to stop it throwing a code is to have a remap. Second option is to have some form of OBDII device connected that you can use to reset fault codes on the go.

My understanding of the problem is it's two-fold. Having the exhaust gasses recirculating through the intake in itself is not necessarily the issue. The fact that it occurs while mixed with oil vapour from the crank case is what is creating the gunk that cakes on and eventually blocks the system. A good quality, properly functioning catch can will go a long way with helping the exhaust gasses stay dry and go through the intake system without getting stuck. Catch cans are also not illegal, but eventually soot will build up and clog the system.

Depending on the age / mileage on your Patrol, my suggestion would be as follows:
1. Fit a catch can ASAP.
2. As painfully as it sounds (and is), if your Patrol is a high mileage one, I'd suggest you remove the manifold / EGR system and clean it.
3. If you plan on doing any further engine mods (e.g. upgraded turbo etc.) do a remap at that time to get rid of the EGR completely. CRD's with a 3" exhaust can already benefit from a remap, but you don't want to do that twice if you can avoid it.

Really appreciate the response mate! Have ordered the catch can last week will arrive next week so I'll do that first thing. Car has done 216k KMs not long had it myself so not sure of intake status but I assume needs a good clean but am in 2 minds as if I do catch can if it's already blocked with gunk it's pointless so requires a painful job of removing to clean or simple job of block haha. I have a reader to clear the codes but seems painful to require that so maybe a remap is the best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

1. Fit a catch can ASAP.

Just took pics of the place I believe the blanking plate goes is there a gasket there already or is it blocked? Pics attached

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure that's just a multi layer metal gasket. Looks like it is

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Cheers I'll block it at other end anyways and see how we go. It's annoying to work with stupid thing lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts