Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just wanting to compare some egts.

when traveling along the M7 motorway in sydney( pretty flat road ) doing 120kph and towing my dirtbike on light trailer my egts were close to 600c when i drop down to 100kph egts droped to about 450c. throttle input @ 120kph was still very minimal ( prob depressed about 10-15 mm ).
i know the egts are slightly higher because of the extra drag from bike and trailer but its bugger all compard to towing a 2ton camper.

when i floor it up mount ousley (very steep long hill north of wollongong) i back off the throttle when it hits 650c but i have pushed it to 700c but thats to expected on such a big hill.
My main concern is the high egt on flat road at high speed, is this normal or should i be checking maf etc?
BTW, i have egr blocked and crankcase gas venting to atmosphere .3" exhaust. bigger bonnet scoop and cleaned maf 500km ago

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Are u running a chip?
U may find if you ran more boost your egt will come down but i woould worrie about 600c.
If you drop it down a gear to get more air speed it will also drop those egts (hils)
ect.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Are u running a chip?
U may find if you ran more boost your egt will come down but i woould worrie about 600c.
If you drop it down a gear to get more air speed it will also drop those egts (hils)
ect.
No chip, boost is 14-16 Psi so already quite high. It's auto gearbox, I've tried it with o/d off but that doesn't help with temps

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
Auto you will find egt may be a bit higher but boost is normal
A chip can help those egts but i would worrie about those temps

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,274 Posts
hey guys just wanting to compare some egts.

when traveling along the M7 motorway in sydney( pretty flat road ) doing 120kph and towing my dirtbike on light trailer my egts were close to 600c when i drop down to 100kph egts droped to about 450c. throttle input @ 120kph was still very minimal ( prob depressed about 10-15 mm ).
i know the egts are slightly higher because of the extra drag from bike and trailer but its bugger all compard to towing a 2ton camper.

when i floor it up mount ousley (very steep long hill north of wollongong) i back off the throttle when it hits 650c but i have pushed it to 700c but thats to expected on such a big hill.
My main concern is the high egt on flat road at high speed, is this normal or should i be checking maf etc?
BTW, i have egr blocked and crankcase gas venting to atmosphere .3" exhaust. bigger bonnet scoop and cleaned maf 500km ago
Have a look at this thread, you can compare to a few other CRD, please post your numbers as well for future ref for others.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/egt-temp-survey-52005/

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
No chip, boost is 14-16 Psi so already quite high. It's auto gearbox, I've tried it with o/d off but that doesn't help with temps
Ex factory the CRDs boost to over 20 PSI so 14-16 is slightly low if anything and that is esp true with a 3 inch exhaust and EGR block.

Those mods should have sent the Boost thru the roof.

I had to wind my VNT screw back 1 and 1/4 turns to get the boost back to max of 16-18.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ex factory the CRDs boost to over 20 PSI so 14-16 is slightly low if anything and that is esp true with a 3 inch exhaust and EGR block.

I had to wind my VNT screw back 1 and 1/4 turns to get the boost back to max of 16-18.
hmmm interesting i might try adjusting my vnt screw for some more boost and check temps after that. , i just checked the egt survey on the forum and found that most crd's are running similar temps .not sure if its a fluke but it seems like the crd's with 285 or 33" tyres seemed to have the higher temps im guessing because they are working that little bit harder?
IS 18 PSI MAX A SAFE LIMIT?

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
35psi!! geezas how did it go ? any codes pop up?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
hmmm interesting i might try adjusting my vnt screw for some more boost and check temps after that. , i just checked the egt survey on the forum and found that most crd's are running similar temps .not sure if its a fluke but it seems like the crd's with 285 or 33" tyres seemed to have the higher temps im guessing because they are working that little bit harder?
IS 18 PSI MAX A SAFE LIMIT?
Have a good read of the "Bible Sticky Thread" and the other related threads on here. Some very knowledgeable people (much more so than me) seem to agree on a few things in there and I have tried to follow their advice in the main.

I'm running 285/75 as well and def raises EGT's... however I back off the loud pedal earlier than you do at 600 EGT.

I am not running a Dawes/Needle setup as I have the VNT were I am happy and as I just tool around Aus exploring all the tracks and secret spots I can find the slower spool up and a couple of PSI boost I am sacrificing isn't a biggee for me.

If you are after "best" performance then I would again recommend following the bible and putting Dawes/Needle valve on your truck.

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
yeah i had no codes but are running a chip it chip and yes heaps of fuel and 35psi went well now running 22 psi with a bigger turbo making same power but safer

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts

Ex-factory CRD's boost to over 20PSI?? wtf?? I must have a dud cause mine has never seen over 15.5psi and thats with a 2.75" exhaust and chip and I havent wound back my vnt screw. Exhaust and chip made no difference to boost, never spiked and has stayed the same as the day i picked it up from the showroom.

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
i found my egt's where lower on a flat straght road with the egr unblocked which is the purpose of it
but the egt are lower going up and down hill with the egr blocked

·
Registered
305 Posts
What gauge are you using? I have found different reading just by using different gauges. First was a cruzpro at about 350-400 on 100. Then had Dynotune gauge and was closer to 500 at 100. Now running Mcnally and it bearly gets over 250 - 300 at 100. All electric gauges with the pyro in the same spot and all set on deg C. You tell me which one is accurate?

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
That is definitely not true, unless something is wrong from the outset. Mine, even with chip, never boosted above 15.1 PSI, now eith the exhaust, it has gone no higher than 16.1 PSI.

What gauge are you using? I have found different reading just by using different gauges. First was a cruzpro at about 350-400 on 100. Then had Dynotune gauge and was closer to 500 at 100. Now running Mcnally and it bearly gets over 250 - 300 at 100. All electric gauges with the pyro in the same spot and all set on deg C. You tell me which one is accurate?
There may well be something in that, as a Di Patrol on the same roads, coming back from a camping trip, consistently registered 200C lower on every part of the road compared to mine. I have a digital gauge, his is an analogue one. Not sure which is correct and we both run the same sized exhaust with the pyro in a very similar position. The max temp I've registered is 700C on a steep and long, hill, towing the van.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
My bad, I shall attempt to clarify and rephrase.

Firstly, I don't recall mentioning Chips that was other posters.

Secondly, if the Turbo Control is left ex factory and a 3 inch exhaust and EGR block are fitted the Boost pressure spikes I obserbed on my CRD will easily exceed 20 PSI and spool up rates will also change markedly.

If that wasn't the case why would anyone rrse around with Dawes and Needle Valves or VNT adjustments.

Again, in my case I found that the 3 inch exhaust and EGR mods in my vehicle did almost exactly what the "Bible" said they would do and "pre VNT adjustment" the MAP's I observed spiking to 36 PSIA at cruise or 22 PSIG (Pounds per Square Inch Gauge).

Again, as mentioned in the Bible, I found that 1 and 1/4 turns gave me a boost of 16 PSIG and a very rare spike to no more than 18 PSIG which now seem to have disappeared... go figure.

During the adjustment phases I went to 1 and 1/2 turns but the Boost was down around 27 Map (14 PSIG) and the performance was def off. Unfortunately I did not check EGT's or leave the setting there. I just did a quick run and went Eeeeyuuuk so I went back about a 1/4 turn.

Anyway, as I said, IMHO something is a little odd with the OP's pressures of 14 ish with those Mods going by my experience and a slight tweak up in Boost Pressures may (I stress MAY) do the trick.

Sorry, if anyone had any heart failures but meah... what one person see's happen others may not.

I also would like to experiment further but adjusting that VNT is a PIA without a mod'd socket or ringy to get on the lock nut. Someone on here posted a pic of a crows foot style adjuster (... a socket with one wall cut out from memory...) with a handle welded on at the correct angle to clear the turbo plumbing which would make it a piece of pee.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
There are several here that have chipped and installed a 3" exhaust and experienced no high boosting (ie much over 16PSI). Mind you, those that I know of, have not blocked the EGR, or made any other modifications/adjustments.

I've had my CRD for nearly three years with the chip installed almost from day one and never had more than 15.1PSI boost (chip or no chip). The 3" exhaust clearly allows the turbo to spool harder due to less backpressure, but even then, the ECU is able to control the boost and not go over 16.1PSI.

I'm agnostic, tending towards atheist, so I don't really go by what the Bible says, others just take it as Gospel. Mind you, you're probably reading the Old Testament. :D

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
ROFL... no worries Ray... chip in or out makes absolutely no difference to mine either which is why I didn't mention it.

3 inch exhaust did a bit but the EGR block... well, couldn't start winding down the VNT quick enough :D

Regarding the Bible... http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...ference-document-zd30-owners-look-here-31418/

"And verily sayeth the Lord...

'...should the newborn not repent and adopt the word as it is writ do they not flaunt with Devil and his minions who shall visit upon him the sins of those learnt from the past in a gigantic cataclysm of fire and smoke...'

tic... tic... tic... KABOOM :D :D :D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
326 Posts
With the three gauges did you use the one sender unit or three different sender unit for each gauge. May be the sender unit is calibrated for each specific gauge?

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gutted the cat last night (high flow unit) because i didnt want to have a straight through pipe incase of inspection by the lads in blue, the egts are pretty much the same maybe 50c cooler below 80kph but at 100kph its still about 450c mark on flat ground unitl a slight hill and it will go up to 500 easily. BTW its an autometer egt guage
noise was the same w/o cat and spool rate is marginally quicker. max boost is the same too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts