1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

How are we all?

I have a issue with my 09 CRD... On Monday morning i was about to take off to head to the airport.. Car started as normal with no issues... Went to pull out of the street and noticed no power... I mean no power at all... Lots of turbo whistle, black smoke and no power... From idle to about 1500rpm the car feels ok, but after 1500rpm - 2300rpm you can put the foot all the way to the floor and nothing happens excpet the turbo whistles and EGT's rise quite quickly... After about 2300rpm the car picks up and goes but not as normal and the black smoke is very very thick. Also i noticed that it wont boost over say 4psi... I have a scanguage installed but it's coming back with no codes...

So after trying a few things like un-plugging the steinbauer and cleaning the MAF i still got the same result... I have noticed though when i do start the Patrol now after about 30secs it will do a very slight quick miss once and then run smooth and not miss a beat again... Also the exhaust note has changed as is much deeper...

So after changing a flight i drove it to Nissan and i have it booked in for Monday morning when i get back from NZ. Service guy told me straight out, take the chip out before you bring it in or else our scan tools cant read the errors...

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?? The Patrol has a Steinbauer and a 3inch exhaust... I thank god that i fitted a manual boost guage and EGT guage so i didnt let the EGT's rise over 500deg... So hopefully no damage has been done...

Thanks,
George

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Sounds a bit more extreme than other CRD 'power loss' incidents reported here.

I'd take a guess at something to do with the injection system not providing as much fuel as it should be. Or a blockage in the intercooler? Mine had plenty of oil in it with 37,000km on the odo.

Be wary with the chip, the dealership won't come straight out and tell you your warranty is void because they want to keep taking your money for servicing etc. Always remove it and hide the wiring and any evidence of where it is mounted, before it goes anywhere near a dealer.

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Squalo...

Yeah thats why the chip is coming out...

I originally thought it might be the MAF but the fuel system did cross my mind... Never thought of an intercooler blockage.. I do have the catch can fitted... Mine is just about to click over 40,000kms too...

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Try checking air filter and snorkel for blockage , like a plastic bag etc. Also check the rubber intercooler hoses haven't split.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Could it be an EGR issue? Stuck valve, shouldn't be at that kms. Guess the big clue is a different exhaust note, so something on the outlet side of things??

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
Hi guys,

How are we all?

I have a issue with my 09 CRD... On Monday morning i was about to take off to head to the airport.. Car started as normal with no issues... Went to pull out of the street and noticed no power... I mean no power at all... Lots of turbo whistle, black smoke and no power... From idle to about 1500rpm the car feels ok, but after 1500rpm - 2300rpm you can put the foot all the way to the floor and nothing happens excpet the turbo whistles and EGT's rise quite quickly... After about 2300rpm the car picks up and goes but not as normal and the black smoke is very very thick. Also i noticed that it wont boost over say 4psi... I have a scanguage installed but it's coming back with no codes...

So after trying a few things like un-plugging the steinbauer and cleaning the MAF i still got the same result... I have noticed though when i do start the Patrol now after about 30secs it will do a very slight quick miss once and then run smooth and not miss a beat again... Also the exhaust note has changed as is much deeper...

So after changing a flight i drove it to Nissan and i have it booked in for Monday morning when i get back from NZ. Service guy told me straight out, take the chip out before you bring it in or else our scan tools cant read the errors...

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?? The Patrol has a Steinbauer and a 3inch exhaust... I thank god that i fitted a manual boost guage and EGT guage so i didnt let the EGT's rise over 500deg... So hopefully no damage has been done...

Thanks,
George
Hi George, can you confirm that the turbo whistle is normal for your rig?

What you describe can be caused by various things including a turbo that cannot make boost due to the VNT arm not in the right position, a blockage or a split/opening anywhere between the turbo and the intake manifold, it can also be caused by an EGR valve that is stuck open.

Regarding the different note of the exhaust, this is usually caused by the VNT arm being in a lower position than normal so check that the ECU is able to bring the VNT arm hard up against the grub stop at idle and that it falls away when the engine is turned off.

As you have a scan gauge, you may be able to tell the % open that the ECU is setting the vacuum valve that feeds the VNT, it sits around 55% on my Di at idle.

A few things to ponder there, look forward to reading what you find :)

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Also check the vacuum lines on the turbo side of the engine, as if one of these is split or loose, it could cause issues. Lots of black smoke and no power is an indication of not enough air getting to the engine, ie turbo not turboing.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good afternoon guys,

Your reply's ar emuch appreciated.. I am in NZ at the moment for work and fly back home on Friday night so i will do those checks on the weekend... I will definatly let you know how i go...

Whitie, yeah my turbo whistle is normal for my car but when the Patrol it at higher revs its harder to hear. Now that it gradually raises rpm it is much louder in the lower rev ranges. But i wouldnt say it is out of the norm.. Since the exhaust my turbo whistle has been louder....

Will keep you all posted as to how i go... Thanks for your suggestions...

George

·
Registered
nissan 03
15 Posts
George
I have a 03 with a chev diesel in it and I can tell when it blows one of the hoses of the intercooler no power and heaps of smoke like ray said check all your hoses and vacums you might find that to be a problem.
Scott

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Had a very similar issue with my 05 Di when I had the vehicle, it blew a turbo hose off. Now I check them regularly on my CRD and surprisingly they do need a bit of a tighten up now and again.

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good morningish guys,

Ok after a very delayed flight last night i managed to head into the garage and check the patrol this morning... Thanks for all your advice by the way...

1. I have noticed that when the car is off the Actuator arm sits in the down position. When i do start the car it does not move at all. It stays in the same position... The little screw on the actuator arm is hard up against the rod. I think this is correct.

2. I have checked all my hoses and vacuum lines and they all seem to be ok...

I am pulling the chip out now so have to take half the car apart to do so seeing its a Steinbauer. Once i put everythig back i will give it another try and see maybe i did have a vacuum leak or loose hose.... i shall keep you all posted...

Whitie, what value on my scan guage should i be looking at to check the %of the vacum valve?

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys,

In addition i have tried a few other things to check if the actuator moves...

I got my old man to stall it up to about 2000rpm while in drive and still no actuator movement... So im guessing my issue is related to this...

So just a small update... I was thinking it has something to do with the solenoid on the air box as if i use my thumb i can move the actuator up...

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
Hi George, it should read around 55% or thereabouts (I have a Di so am not 100% sure on that)..

I would suggest that you bypass the solenoid on the air box and connect the vacuum straight to the vnt to see if it moves up to the stop. Also, it may be worth your while buying a hand held vacuum / pressure meter from an auto shop, they are usually about $35. A brake bleed kit would do a similar job as it has a vacuum pump and meter on board but it does not read boost, the big positive is that you can create your own vacuum with it without needing the engine running.

With the vacuum meter you can check if you have around 30Hg of vacuum being supplied by the vacuum pump to the solenoid on the air box as well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
actuator diaphragm = warranty !

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,

Well here is the latest about my Patrol...

It was at Nissan all day today. After 3 phone calls i got through to the service dept this afternoon just before they shut... Apparently my Patrol needs a new turbo. After coming to grips with what i heard i asked the lady who i spoke to if they knew what exactly was wrong with the turbo.. After reading the report she said to me that the trubo cannot hold vacuum and hence the turbo needs to be replaced.. When i asked if it will be done under warranty she said it was up to Nissan as the car had been modified.... I understand that it has been modified and if my modification has caused the issue i am happy to wear it.. But if my modification has not the i think it should be fixed under warranty. She also said they have never ever seen this happen before and it is unknown to them how this was isue was caused so they are all baffled by it...

Now please correct me if i am wrong but i didnt know a turbo held vacuum. Unless the Vained turbos work differently to a wastegated turbo... Or my theorys about all trubos are wrong... I thought the only thing that held vacuum on a turbo is the actuator to open and close the Vanes/Wastegate...

Cheers,
George

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
I'd say what they are really talking about is that the actuator doesn't hold vacuum. It may be that they don't separate the diaphragm from the turbo, but replace the entire unit, turbo and all. That's pretty much what they did when my tensioner failed, it was a pully wheel and eveything that was replaced.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yeah I reckon Ray has it right. Will be the actuator that has failed but Nissan don't sell any parts at all for the turbo so it will be a complete unit.

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So would I be correct in saying that an exhaust or chip would not cause this? I mean the actuator opens and closes with vacuum. It can only open to a certain point governed by the ECU and as far as i know, and im the only one who drives the car, boost has not spiked over 15.8psi since iv had the exhaust and chip in it.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
So would I be correct in saying that an exhaust or chip would not cause this? I mean the actuator opens and closes with vacuum. It can only open to a certain point governed by the ECU and as far as i know, and im the only one who drives the car, boost has not spiked over 15.8psi since iv had the exhaust and chip in it.
I don't think that there's any way that the chip or exhaust could have caused the vacuum leak. The actuator is nothing but a mechanical device that goes up and down with vacuum changes and can only move so far up and down. Because it uses a rubber diaphragm, encased in a steel container, these can get a leak even from a minor assembly/manufacturing error. They work much like the old mechanical fuel pumps and are constantly moving, but no where near as fast, so you've just had a bit of bad luck with the actuator.

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Playing the devils advocate here:

But you put a chi on it, which affects the ecu. Now if the ecu wasn't controlling things as the factory set it up to, the vacuum thingamajigga could have failed due to other things being out of factory spec.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts