Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Long time reader, first time poster.
I haven't found an introductions thread, Or i would have said hi first. Mind you im not too good on a computer.

Anyway i hope somebody can help me, My 08 patrol is having a few problems.
I was coming back from a long trip when she started having trouble keeping up speed going up hill. I wasn't towing either.Also the power was dropping right off. I stopped at a safe spot, turned the engine off and it wouldn't start. About 2 hours and nothing. She cooled down and fired up.
Now once again i was having problems of the same nature, black smoke, hard starting, until on a stretch of road she stalled, wouldn't start, Waited an hour or 2, it then started. Drove 5kms same happened again. I then got her towed 250kms home.

all of this happened fairly suddenly.

I have been told it could be the Injector pump. The mechanic I spoke to worked in a small town. Does this sound right? It is now in my driveway and it wont start at all. Before I get her towed to Nissan i was hoping to get a little info on what to ask them to look at without looking like a complete idiot.

Please help :headwall:

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Have you tried the simple things first like fuel filter and air filter?

You might have picked up some dodgey fuel..

Reactions: Nidl

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply.
The first stop I had was to change Air and fuel, And i chucked a new Maf sensor on also. I carry everything like that on long trips. The mechanic also asked the same question.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan-0. You will never guess what Nissan have come back and told me, It was the Rail Pressure Relief valve. They are replacing the whole rail now as apparently it is not a serviceable item.
Hopefully this solves the problem.
I have also asked for a new primer bulb just in case because you were right about the first thing...Thanks for your help guys, for now problem solved!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Wow there has been a few of them lately.
Has anyone been keeping count?

Handy to know to save some time diagnosing.

Great you are getting it fixed. Is it under Warrenty?

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No warranty unfortunately.
The technician is being very thorough as he is family in a way. (My partners, step sisters, husband) This also meas a decent price, sort of...

There is another post literally on the same page that sounds very similar to what happened to mine. Could quite possibly be the same? Thats 2 i have seen.
I was also told this is a common problem by the service department. They keep the rails in stock at most dealerships.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,079 Posts
This happened to mine, 100050k, Nissan didn't want to help except put a new common rail at my expense, I will never have that problem again.

Reactions: dronus4x4

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did it cost you just out of curiosity? If its a common problem what can be done to make it not happen again.?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
I've had a similar problem on my CRD, it was injectors leaking. Once the motor cooled a but it would start reluctently, but once warmed up and turned off, it wouldn't start again until cool. It is relatively easy to diagnoise this problem as you warm up the motor, then turn it off. Remove the black fuel return line from the top of the injectors and crack it over a couple turns. If there is fuel on top of the injector and it hasn't started, then that is a leaking injector.

Otherwise, its common for the fuel rail pressure relief valve to stuff up and bleed fuel causing poor start, poor performance and poor fuel economy. This item is replaced by either buying a complete fuel rail assembly from Nissan at about $1500 or just the valve from United Fuel Injection in Perth for a little over $260.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Wow. I have been trying to get Nissan to fix mine under new car warranty for months.. I have even told them what i think it is and they keep fobbing me off. Any tips on how to get them to play ball?

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot help you there unfortunately dan. If you got an opinion from another place, and took that to them they may help. They would be obliged to do something about it and repair your vehicle. There may be some cost involved going to an independent though.

Reading that the pressure valve is sold separate has frustrated me beyond belief. They are going to slog me for the complete rail, labour etc for a $260 part. Thats just not right. Its things like this that make me wonder why i bought a nissan in the first place. But in saying that, is holden, ford, mitsubishi etc any better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts