Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

If Santa could grant all of us CRD owners, just 1 modification that would provide the best improvement in fuel effeciency, what is it we would ask for???

(is it a bigger intercooler, mabye a 3" exhaust (as size does matter I once read), how about a fan fitted under our stanadard intercooler.......?)

Have a great Xmas guys

Cheers
Guido

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
A Duramax!! Please Santa :cool::cool:

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hi guys,

If Santa could grant all of us CRD owners, just 1 modification that would provide the best improvement in fuel effeciency, what is it we would ask for???
Hiya Guido,

Actually I'm more than happy with my fuel economy... 10 to 11 LPH around town up to 15 general towing/wheeling.

If I wasn't I would take off the Winch, Steel Bar, Drawer Set, Full Roof Rack, 33 inch tyres and Chip. Losing all that weight and drag would save heaps :p

Wouldn't mind a bigger more efficient 'cooler tho esp over here in WA so that would be my wish list Mod (already have a puller fan on the factory 'cooler).

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
My wish would be for a little more time, to be able to get out and enjoy the GU more often..........

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,275 Posts
power, power, power!!

Something with more cylinders to push the big lug around

·
Registered
nissan
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi evil twin,

Your trol is pretty well kitted out with a lot a extra weight and the bigger tyres - yet you get the best economy I've read from a CRD - I'm envious.

The only change you've made seems to be the fitting of a chip. Has the chip changed the fuel economy - if so what was it before?

What chip have you installed - and did you need to make any other adjustments / changes when you put it in?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hiya Guido,

Nah, my consumption seems pretty standard... there was a big thread on here about a month ago and the majority are getting around those figures altho there were a couple who seemed to have issues and were getting 16's to 17's.

Mines a manual as well, the auto's generally do better

I bought mine with most of the gear on it so don't know before and after but I recently went from Muds to AT's (still 33's) and saved about 1 litre per 100.

The best mod I did was put a scangauge on it. Just a slight change in how you drive 'em can have a large effect on fuel.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
some piece of mind when filling up with suspect fuel when in remote locations is what id ask for...

maybe ive just been reading into CRD fuel system failures too much tho and am just paranoid...

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
3" dump and straight through pipe.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would wish for a fuel prefilter, 10 microns, with a clear bowl, fitted ahead of the original filter to take a large portion of the filtration load away from the 2 micron factory filter. I wish I had known about that when I owned a common rail hilux, I would have saved myself a lot of grief, and a stuffed pump.

What happened is quite simple. The original 2 micron filter clogged up very rapidly with large particles of rubbery stuff and dirt sucked in past the filler cap. The filter then proceeded to partially starve the fuel pump and cause cavitation, causing excess wear and tolerances. at 12000 kms I knew there was a problem, told Toyota so on several occasions, wanting to know why it was hard to start, rattled and knocked, and had lousy economy, plus smoky exhaust. Because it was under warranty, I couldnt touch it, but I had partially diagnosed the problem as low fuel pressure. Eventually the dealership decided to investigate properly, and discovered the filter was about 70% restricted. Of this fact I had no warning, no warning lamp or fault codes, just my ears and gut telling me something was wrong. They changed the filter, and bingo, all seemed well again. I spoke to the foreman, he told me unofficially to fit a prefilter. I didnt have time or materials for quite some time after, and by about 18000 kms I was beginning to have the same problems. New filtr elements were only $24, so I changed it myself, the old filter was black with ****, and the new filter seemed to fix the problem. I duly ordered the prefilter, a Parker/Racor unit, and one spare saturday Morning, I fitted the prefilter, plumbed it up, changed the element for a new one, bled it up and all went fine.
This was done at 24000 kms. At 36000 kms, I checked the toyota filter, it was like new, I checked the Racor, it had a lot of material in it, but was nowhere nearly as restricted.
The Pump was irreversibly damaged, and the economy remained poor, the starting was still a bit ordinary and it still smoked a tiny bit, but, the main point is that it got no worse.

The Nissan filter is much larger than the toyota one, and will take longer to need changing. Currently, I change the filter at twice the recommended interval as insurance, but a lot of uncertainty and potential grief could be avoided by fitting a prefilter.

I have one to fit up sometime, am just waiting for the time, I will probably also fit a small electric pump to assist the main pump in drawing fuel through 2 filters, and improve the economy, plus the pump longevity. Will post pics etc when I do the job.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Get the 6.1 ya pusssy! And then stick a blower up it :)

510hp @ 6.5psi
CAPA : Supercharger Kits
Would be nice but would you trust a modern chrysler product being pushed outside of its original specifications? I wouldn't.

American Expedition Vehicles - AEV JK HEMI V8 Kit - Engine Conversion for 5.7L or 6.1L into 07+ Jeep Wrangler JK
JK Hemi Conversion 5.7L Package

They are supposedly working on a RHD kit too.

Someone else in the states beat them to the RHD market though:

Burnsville Offroad - Hemi motor swap packages
these guys have even got the programming differences between the diesel and petrol versions sorted out...makes for an easier swap.

Mad these options...and the pricing is also very smart too considering the attention to detail in both packages. Look like factory bloody installs...Love it.

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
Yom, I had the JK CRD for a few months, it must have been one of the most powerful and best performing CRD,s I have driven. Its the only good part I remember.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Yom, I had the JK CRD for a few months, it must have been one of the most powerful and best performing CRD,s I have driven. Its the only good part I remember.
That is unfortunate. If mine was written off tomorrow I'd go and get another one. Have done 40,000km in a bit over 12 months, yes there's been a few problems but I forgive it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
some piece of mind when filling up with suspect fuel when in remote locations is what id ask for...

maybe ive just been reading into CRD fuel system failures too much tho and am just paranoid...
Santa has a couple of options for this one..

If you are worried about getting water in the fuel system, you could fill up using a funnel that catches water before it enters the tank (buy it from marine shops). Or you can install a water trap in front of the fuel filter like I and others have done on the forum :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
A ChipIt chip for it and attach the Mod for the MAP sensor that comes with the Chip. I had a CRD that drank diesel like an Australian Collins Class submarine. My guess is the Bosh injection system that about 40% of the CRD's have fitted is the culprit.

I have recently fitted a ChipIt "Chip" with the MAP Modification and am running the custom 2 mapping programme from folder 2 . As well as the extra power, my fuel economy has gone the other way. I filled it up before christmas and have done 67 Klms around town so far and the fuel guage has not moved off full. The scanguage instrument is also reporting better figues. This for my 2008 CRD is fantastic. It should be interesting to see what I get out of a tank now.. I'm excited, hopefully it's drinking problem has been fixed but this tank of fuel will tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts