Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Creaking from rear doors

7K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Madcow 
#1 ·
Hey all

Over the last couple of months I've been having this noise that was coming from 'somewhere in the wagon' it sounds like plastic creaking and moving etc. Hard to describe the exact noise.

It happens every time I turn a corner, go through a bend or round about or even some times when going over a dip in the road.

I've finally narrowed it down to coming from the rear barn doors. My initial thoughts were that it was either something inside the door that's loose or the trim is loose.

I pulled the trim off completely on the weekend and narrowed the noise to be coming from around where the lock catch ? Is. Around the middle of the two doors where they join. The noise stops if the doors are open - tested this by putting the mrs in the back and driving up and down a curb driveway. Doors closed it creaks as the car twists. Doors open there's no noise.

I've had a good look inside the doors and can't see anything loose. The only bit that I could see is the little latch inside the lock part on the smaller door. - if that's what it's called?

It seems that I can move it side to side a bit? I'm not sure if that's normal?

Has anyone else come across this type of noise or know where else I could look / if the lock mechanism is the cause?

Cheers
Adam

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried taking the spare wheel off?

Mine creaks with the spare on, but my door has also cracked and also has taken a hit.

#3 ·
mine also creaks and ever now and again when it gets the better of me i just spray a little CRC around all the latches and it seems to work until the next time i wash the vehicle

#6 ·
Had a similar noise in mine several months ago, finally traced it to the top latch that the large door closes on, the plastic covering was damaged causing the noise, once I fixed that all good. might be another place to look.

#7 ·
Mine creaks.....even more now with 33" spare on it, solution: turn up the music! Creaking in the back is easily blocked out by loud tunes in the front!

#9 ·
Just an update,

I sprayed the back doors - hinges, locking mechanism, catches and the slide/locking bar that's under the big barn door and the creaking went away!

Cheers for the help guys

#11 ·
Old post brought up, mine is driving me nuts, took spre wheel off, I have noticed paint worn down inner top corner of cabin where door seals rubbing, only slightest bumps needed as chasis twists, made no difference with wheel off door. Will spay seals and hinges

#13 ·
Another trick is to wrap some electrical tape around the u shaped lock on the barn door, helps stop the door rattling, worked for me.

Reactions: SHANE 3.0
#14 ·
other little trick I was told was to rub candle wax where the seal runs against the body it work for me.

#15 ·
Ok, creak fixed for now and the winner is Electrical tape top door latch- only took 2 wraps. Obviously will wear so temp fix but ohhh how good is the silence. :)
Now need to repair the bare metal where rubbing to stop rust occurring especially here on the coast.

#20 ·
I noticed that the drivers side barn door does not always lock in at the top and therefore when both doors are shut they creak. Slamming drivers side door works sometimes but not recommended, cannot see why it won't lock in at the top.

Any ideas ????

Regards Rob
Yep, can't be bothered going out out my car for the 4th time & it's late but I think you can adjust the catch like any other catch? I could be wrong on that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.