Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am in the process of shopping for a new intercooler, and am half minded to go country country, my current set up is a td42 with a DTS turbo kit. Not intercooled. Now, I've read a few old threads on here and have seen even playing fields on cross country and home made. So what I'm asking is who has made the change to cross country from standard or a home made and believe its worth it?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
The reason cross country is more expensive is because they use PWR intercooler cores.
They are Australian made and the best in the business.

Will the average Joe feel the difference between that and a cheap chinese setup? Maybe not.
But you will know that you are buying a 100% aussie product and keeping the money in Australia.

So if the bank allows it, there is certainly a benefit to be had.
If you are on a shoestring budget (arent we all) then pick what you can afford bud because the difference is pretty minor.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
The reason cross country is more expensive is because they use PWR intercooler cores.
They are Australian made and the best in the business.

Will the average Joe feel the difference between that and a cheap chinese setup? Maybe not.
But you will know that you are buying a 100% aussie product and keeping the money in Australia.

So if the bank allows it, there is certainly a benefit to be had.
If you are on a shoestring budget (arent we all) then pick what you can afford bud because the difference is pretty minor.
X2. Mine has been on a few years now, the difference it made for me was significant, it's sturdy and well made, a very tight fit for the ZD30 but if I had the choice over again I'd still go that way.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,734 Posts
Its nice to be able to buy a product and bolt it straight up..and it works.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Agree with everything the guys have said above. If you want a top quality, bolt on, Aussie, no fuss IC then it's worth it. I think the 3 month wait times are a bigger issue than the price.

I did experiment with a couple of different Chinese cores and was very disappointed with the performance of the cores measuring the inlet/outlet pressure/temps under different conditions. They don't remove as much heat and are nowhere near as stable. PWR have sorted the balancing act between pressure drop and heat transfer. That might not be obvious on the ass dyno.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Too bad you have to wait 10 months to get on. I think that turns a lot of people off them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
It feels like 10 months when you're waiting. Agree they really need to sort that part of the business out.

The worst part is they seem to tell everyone its only a 3 week wait.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
The worst part is they seem to tell everyone its only a 3 week wait.

Yes EXACTLY. Probably because they know that most people will not be prepared to wait and take their money down the road to the bloke selling Chinese jobbies so they try to convert the sale. Still doesn't make it right and hurts them in the long run. FFS just keep some stock!

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
I just want one so I can put a bigger scoop on haha jokes. Intake temperatures would have to be far better. I'd really like one...Go Australian for sure.:p

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
I went from no IC to a Cross Country so can't compare but I was told 6-7 weeks and it arrived just under 9 weeks. They also get defensive when you start questioning them on why they say a certain time and can't deliver on it. Customer service is definitely their weak point, that includes how they do their tins, how long it takes etc. but I'm happy with the product, keeps EGTs and coolant temps extremely stable.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I've had a Cross Country and HPD and about to try a Chinesee one. Cross Country was good, hard to see the value though. Yes it works well, but how does that equate to money spent to gains had. The HPD has been OK, lesser quality than the CCIC and probably equivalent to a lot of the Chinese stuff. The HPD did put out similar gains to the CCIC, but that was comparing two different cars (both ZD30).

I since sold the CCIC as I was going back to standard on my wagon, but have now decided to keep it for awhile, so I'm getting a Chinese one to see how it compares.

Reactions: kblof

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am more than happy with my CCIC. It has been fitted to the trol for 10 months. Increased tourqe is great as well as lowering EGT's and running temps.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Agree with everything the guys have said above. If you want a top quality, bolt on, Aussie, no fuss IC then it's worth it. I think the 3 month wait times are a bigger issue than the price.

I did experiment with a couple of different Chinese cores and was very disappointed with the performance of the cores measuring the inlet/outlet pressure/temps under different conditions. They don't remove as much heat and are nowhere near as stable. PWR have sorted the balancing act between pressure drop and heat transfer. That might not be obvious on the ass dyno.
Interesting to know that.
I'm on my second front mount after changing from a FG FPV cooler to a 600/300/76 power spirit tube and fin.
I was in a tight ass mode and only just got my truck back from the panel beaters after getting the bullbar replaced and guards fixed due a rear end collision. The difference between the two was stuff all! And considering the size difference I was a bit annoyed!

Hence my next purchase will be a pwr 600/300/60 so I'm expecting something a bit more dramatic:iconbana:

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Interesting to know that.

I'm on my second front mount after changing from a FG FPV cooler to a 600/300/76 power spirit tube and fin.

I was in a tight ass mode and only just got my truck back from the panel beaters after getting the bullbar replaced and guards fixed due a rear end collision. The difference between the two was stuff all! And considering the size difference I was a bit annoyed!

Hence my next purchase will be a pwr 600/300/60 so I'm expecting something a bit more dramatic:iconbana:

Hey mate. Before you drop more cash it might be worth some inexpensive tests to see how your current set up is performing. Measuring the IC outlet temp will tell you pretty quickly whether it's effective or not. It would be a shame to spend more cash and not get the improvement you're expecting. Also the IC alone doesn't change the performance much but it does unlock the ability to safely run more boost and more fuel.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
In true lazy mans way I have held my hands on either side of the hot/cold side outlets of the cooler and there is definately a big difference. Obviously only at idle though.. I might do some testing this wknd. I jumped the gun a bit and read once I bought the larger tube/fin that the cheap ones arnt all that crash hot as opposed to a cheap bar/plate one.
My plans in the next month are
Dc3+ 160rwkw pump
Modified inlet manifold
And CM water/meth injection

Soz for the thread hijack 01cress

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
In true lazy mans way I have held my hands on either side of the hot/cold side outlets of the cooler and there is definately a big difference. Obviously only at idle though.. I might do some testing this wknd. I jumped the gun a bit and read once I bought the larger tube/fin that the cheap ones arnt all that crash hot as opposed to a cheap bar/plate one.
My plans in the next month are
Dc3+ 160rwkw pump
Modified inlet manifold
And CM water/meth injection

Soz for the thread hijack 01cress

Very nice...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts