Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so basically my car has crows feet through pretty much every panel. Was just wondering what the cost of a basic repaint would be and could i do it myself? Iam thinking i would still be cheaper to pay someone to do it as iver never painted/ stripped a car before and dont have the right tool anyways. The colour of the troll is blue over silver. Would it also be cheaper to get it all in one colour and does anyone know of some one who would do it cheap in the sydney area? Dosent have to be the neatest job either.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Yes all one colour would be cheaper. A group 1 non metallic would be the cheapest paint too.
It's going to have to be stripped right back as well or the crazy cracks will just come back through. There are sealers/barrier coatings for cracked paint but they dont last. And who knows what nasty surprises are under the paint when they start stripping too. Hopefully not bog everywhere.

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
Just for a paint job you would be looking at a least 3 -4 grand although some guys will still use enamels which are a fair bit cheaper and are off the gun finish and tend to wear a bit better too just limited in your colour choice. Sounds like still a fair amount of prep to get rid of the crows feet. Manufacturers only tend to put a couple of thin coats of colour and one of clear just to cover the metal.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
44 Posts
Hi, My cars also got it on every panel to the extent of some areas flaking off. Underneath is the original paint. Would i still need to take it back to bare metal or just take it back to original coating. Sorry for hi-jack, any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Hi, My cars also got it on every panel to the extent of some areas flaking off. Underneath is the original paint. Would i still need to take it back to bare metal or just take it back to original coating. Sorry for hi-jack, any help would be appreciated
Crows feet is usually only in acrylic primer and spray putty which then transfers to the colour and clear. So there's a good chance there's probably bog under the spray putty too. so if you can remove the acrylic & spray putty without damaging the bog and get back to the original paint underneath then yes that's all you have to remove. make sure the bog is alright also. You will still need to prime it after you rub it all down though.

Cheers Mick.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Generally any bad paint damage is best to strip back to bare metal to be repaired
Moisture under bog work can result in cracking or lifting not only of the bog but the paint as well
Crows feet can be bad paint or bad clear
Best to strip and start again
Prices for paint jobs depend on whats required
A quick respray with minimal prep work will be fairly priced
If body work and major prep work is required the price will escalate
If your willing to have a go yourself and your not after a show quality finish
Have a bash at it

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
44 Posts
Thanks for tips and advice guys shouldn't be long now till i have a crack at painting my gu (with a experts guidence)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts