Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my vehicle, a 2.8td GQ Patrol a couple months back from the nissan budget warehouse in Brisbane with 295k on the clock. Have had no serious issues with it for the most part apart from occasional rough starting.

However today it has developed a tenancy to grind badly when im putting it into third gear, it does this on both the way up and down and only when i am putting it into gear, it seems to stick in gear fine. The severity of the grinding depends only on what speed im going.

Ive been looking round and my best guess is that this is a developing synchro or related issue, any thoughts? And any ideas on how much its gunna cost me to fix her up?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
58 Posts
second hand box will be the cheapest
to get it rebuilt i would say some where between 2and 3g because most gearbox shops wont do half jobs they will rebuild the whole lot

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
I had the same issue, slight grinding into third. Changed the oil to Castrol VMX 80 after a couple of recommendations and I haven't had an issue with it since.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Yeh I would be giving a good quality 80w oil a go first for at least a couple of thousands kays and see how it goes as the syncros can glaze up.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Common in thse gearboxes (300zx box)

Try to drive around it. Mine does it too. Oil change fixed it for a while, but it started up again. Mine only seems to happen while once the gearbox has warmed up. This makes me think that a thicker oil might help.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So yeah it got really chronic to the point i couldnt stand it and took it in to be looked at, turns out the synchro was routed and im just waiting on quotes for repair costs. Heard some pretty bad initial grumblings of a few thousand but ill wait for the full news tomorrow.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Bought my vehicle, a 2.8td GQ Patrol a couple months back from the nissan budget warehouse in Brisbane with 295k on the clock. Have had no serious issues with it for the most part apart from occasional rough starting.

However today it has developed a tenancy to grind badly when im putting it into third gear, it does this on both the way up and down and only when i am putting it into gear, it seems to stick in gear fine. The severity of the grinding depends only on what speed im going.

Ive been looking round and my best guess is that this is a developing synchro or related issue, any thoughts? And any ideas on how much its gunna cost me to fix her up?
Yep, if ya handy you could replace the synchro ya self, but If the synchro is worn, the rest of the box is not the best.
you may need to bite the bullet and do a full reco, at least you know you have a good gearbox then. Dump the oil and look for metal, show em and get some quotes.;)

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ferret, you wouldn't by any chance be the man i was chasing a rear light bracket from on ebay would you? :p

·
Registered
403 Posts
Try some Dello ESI it's the Rolls Royce of gearbox oil (although it will take up to 700km to replace the original lowly friction modifier your current oil uses), or you could try some of the proma additive, it's nothing but molly in high quantity so suuuuper slick gearchanges is the name of the game after adding that stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts