Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I’m looking for some help I’ve bought a 2016 y61 hoping I can put a 4.5ltre Cummins engine in it and the company I was going to get the conversion done now tells me I’m unable to do a 2016. Yes I didn’t research properly and had some bad info but I’m wondering if there is anyone that has done anything to convert this model ?

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,033 Posts
As far as I'm aware it's not possible to put that Cummins engine in anything newer than Nov 2013 when the emissions rules changed. Having said that, if I were you I'd continue to ask around. I've seen mods engineered on cars that my own engineer says don't comply with the rules, so you might find someone to sign your paperwork if you try hard enough.

Maybe you can send a PM to @patrol97 he has a 2006 Patrol with a brand new (at the time) 2019 Cummins ISDE4.5 which he did himself. I'm sure he can fill you in on what is and isn't possible with this engine. His thread about it is here.
My ZD30 GU4 Auto to Cummins 4.5 conversion

Edit: Having thought about the issue for a few minutes I'd say the easiest path for you at this stage is look for an older vehicle and then sell the one you have. I think drive in - drive out for a manual Cummins conversion is over $30k so even if you lose a couple of $k in the stuffing about to get another vehicle it is neither here nor there.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,783 Posts
Hi there, I’m looking for some help I’ve bought a 2016 y61 hoping I can put a 4.5ltre Cummins engine in it and the company I was going to get the conversion done now tells me I’m unable to do a 2016. Yes I didn’t research properly and had some bad info but I’m wondering if there is anyone that has done anything to convert this model ?
It can be done. You just need to use an engine that meets at least Euro-4 emission regulations. I’m sure there’s a suitable Cummins engine out there that can be used, but it’s probably not readily available nor cheap.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,783 Posts
How does that work with a 2016 vehicle when Euro-5 was introduced into Australia in Nov 2013?
Euro-5 was introduced for new models from 2013 and existing models from 2017. They always have a staggered intro, else OEMs would have to make production changes to existing models already on offer on short notice.

The Euro-5 intro on existing models is what killed Y61 off in 2016. There was never a Y61 that met Euro-5 as it requires a DPF.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,329 Posts
It is not worth it if you need to add emissions devices for any conversion. Since it will be more costly and trouble some for the conversion. The main reasons for the engine conversion is for power and reliability at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, just buy a new car with good warranty.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,783 Posts
It is not worth it if you need to add emissions devices for any conversion. Since it will be more costly and trouble some for the conversion. The main reasons for the engine conversion is for power and reliability at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, just buy a new car with good warranty.
Like I said, the latest emission regulation that Y61 was certified to in AUS was Euro-4, which for most diesels, required common-rail injection and a cat. Lots of options out there that meets this requirement.

Euro-5 with DPFs (and Euro-6 with SCR) is a lot more complicated but no need to go there for a Y61.

I always thought a Cummins ISX would be a good option for a Patrol. That’s what Nissan used in the Titan at some point and I believe that is available as a crate motor. That was until I saw how much it weighed…

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,796 Posts

@patrol97 Does the ISD4.5 come in Europe 4 spec? I'm sure I read somewhere it was compliant

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,033 Posts
I always thought a Cummins ISX would be a good option for a Patrol.
Are you thinking of ISB? The only ISX that I'm familiar with is way too big for a Patrol with something like 12 litres capacity and normally found in semis. The ISB started at 5.9 litres and is now 6.7 litres and found in Ram 2500s. They are still a struggle to fit into a Patrol because of their height.

They also have a small 5 litre V8 that is used in the Titan but I didn't think it was in the ISX family either.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The 5 litres Cummins used in the pickup in the USA is a piece of junk. It is only good on the paper but has so many issues. That was the reason it was dropped. The engine I supply is Euro 3 which has no EGR. The 4.5 has euro 4 version as well which requires emissions device to attach. At the moment, no euro4 4.5 is on our market. I was in the Cummins factory back to mid of 2018. I did good research for all the possible options and lots of discussions with Cummins engineers and finally decide the Euro 3 4.5 is the way to go

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Due to poor diesel quality in china Cummins China euro 4 version 4.5 use ad blue only which make the euro 4 4.5 too complicated and expensive for our engine conversion. There is no EGR diesel engines.

Reactions: Overboard

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,783 Posts
Are you thinking of ISB? The only ISX that I'm familiar with is way too big for a Patrol with something like 12 litres capacity and normally found in semis. The ISB started at 5.9 litres and is now 6.7 litres and found in Ram 2500s. They are still a struggle to fit into a Patrol because of their height.

They also have a small 5 litre V8 that is used in the Titan but I didn't think it was in the ISX family either.
Sorry, was thinking about the ISV.

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,033 Posts
Sorry, was thinking about the ISV.
Ah yes, the 5 litre. It's size and weight would certainly make it appear ideal for conversions but it has not been popular for that purpose and I noticed that patrol97 called it a piece of junk. I'm left wondering if the change to an alloy head did not produce the durability that everyone expected from a Cummins. No doubt the plastic valve covers didn't send the right message and the DPF & Ad-blue probably won it no friends..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts