Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys,

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell if engine oil is bad or not?

I'm in the middle of changing the oil in my car after having it for a few weeks (had car yard service but don't trust them) and was interested to know how you can tell if your oil is clean or filthy?

I'm pretty sure I was low anyway because it's just about drained (just slowly dripping) and my drain tray is just under 7ltrs. I should have 8.8ltrs, is that correct?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did my fuel and air filters the other week, just doing engine oil and filter today. The oil was black that came out but the new stuff I'm putting in is more transparent, what's with that?

(Serviced my other cars, but this is the First service Iv done to a 4x4)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
He's learning and that's cool.

8.2 litres with filter change bud. The diesels "foul" the oil a "tad" more than your usual petrol motor,so don't worry about that.

You have the EGR blocked dont you?so that will keep it that bit cleaner between services.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not real scientific but swipe the dipstick between your thumb and forefinger, rub them together and wipe with some paper towel, if fingers are clean, oil is probably OK, if fingers are stained, time for an oil change.

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Oils aint oils

G'day guys,

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell if engine oil is bad or not?

I'm in the middle of changing the oil in my car after having it for a few weeks (had car yard service but don't trust them) and was interested to know how you can tell if your oil is clean or filthy?

I'm pretty sure I was low anyway because it's just about drained (just slowly dripping) and my drain tray is just under 7ltrs. I should have 8.8ltrs, is that correct?

Cheers
Ok here's the skinny.

If is black , it's bad.
If it's brown it's bad
If it's white, it's really bad.
If it's black, brown or Pink for that matter with little bits of metal in it, start saving :bananaro:
If it's golden like honey, that's goooood.

If it's full of Sh*t run an engine flush through it.

When you change your oil , change your oil filter.

Depending on where your drain plug is situated, jack the vehicle up so the more oil can drain out. Leave it for as long as you can with drain plug and oil filter out, it take ages for the top oil to drain out and you'll never completely flush it all.

If it's really dirty buy some cheap ass NEW oil and put it through the system before your put your expensive stuff in.

Warm up the engine before you drain it. The oil is runnier when hot. Be careful not to burn yourself.:eviltong: I said warm NOT hot.

Fully Synthetic oils are ACE but your car might not like them :(. Cars that have been running on Mineral based oils all there life crack the sh*ts when you try to run them on fully sic synthetics :cool:

When you can get around to it Change every other liquid in your vehicle as well, especially if it is old.

Transmission oil, Front and rear Diff oil (Esp if U R doing a lot of water crossing), clutch and brake fluids, radiator flush and cool ant

I like Iridium spark plugs only need changing every 100,000 klms. Air filter and Petrol filter unless you have a diesel and your done.

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
227 Posts
Ignoring viscosity, the oil industry uses undisclosed oil grading, a pointer to base oil quality, which makes up 99.9% of what you buy, the rest being oil company specific / brand additives.

Grade 1 is old style mineral (20+). Grade 2 is better mineral, that can be refined to 15/20. Grade 3 mineral can be refined to 10. Group 4 is low quality synthetic, and 5 is high quality synthetic, which can go to 0.

The industry considers the lowest to highest quality as 5, 4, 2, 3, 1.

The oil industry describes Group 3 oil as synthetic, a practice which occurred because they claimed 'it was as good as oil would get, and equivalent to synthetic'. But then a long came Group 5.

The practice is illegal in Germany and a few other EU countries, where the oil group/s must now be disclosed on packaging, and Group 3 oils cannot be described as synthetic. One reason you will see UK car fanatics returning from Germany with oil in the boot.

As long as it's the right grade, my local mechanic says changing cheap oil frequently is much better than changing good oil infrequently.

Change the filter often. Always fit a reputable brand, of the largest size you can fit. As the filter clogs, the oil simply bypasses it. Vehicles that use miniature sized oil filters will be close to 100% bypassing before 5,000km's.

I bleed the brake fluid to clean appearance at each hub, at every service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts