Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, have just recently bought and installed a radius 4" snorkel, the standard airbox seems pretty useless so I thought I would make another one out of alloy to take advantage of the snorkels purpose. I built a simple one to take a pod filter but I'm not happy with how it sits and it doesn't leave much room to bring intercooler pipes up through the front later on, ect

I'm going to build another one, I was after pics from members who have made their own airbox's. If anyone has built a box to take a panel filter I would like to see how you have secured the filter in the box as I am leaning towards this type of design however am open to ideas. I have a 2006 GU TD42, but any model box is fine just after ideas.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
Nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes do a search, there are a few threads on here about building them.
Thanks mate, appreciate it although trust me I have done a search, I've been crawling all over this and other forums for weeks, lol. I did find a few box's on here which were helpful but just started this thread to see what was out there now as some of the other threads are a few years old. There is an extremely good intake manifold thread I found which had a lot of good set ups in the one spot. I was hoping to get a few air box's in the one spot as well, i'm sure it would help out others members later down the track as well. :)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Ive just finished installing a modified ls 2 airbox in my gq but I did have to trim a small section of the inner guard. 4" from the snorkle to the turbo. 90mm clearance to the panel filter over the entire element.

·
Registered
Nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive just finished installing a modified ls 2 airbox in my gq but I did have to trim a small section of the inner guard. 4" from the snorkle to the turbo. 90mm clearance to the panel filter over the entire element.
Thanks Two Up, thats a good idea :) I have already cut a bigger hole in my guard for a 4" joiner so I might measure it up and see if i can get one of the LS boxes to fit or something similar.

·
Registered
nissan
1,093 Posts
If your building one to go in this position, don't point the outlet toward the thermastat housing, point it toward the turbo. There is room and it removes one right angle bend. From here you can run a sweeping bend down rather than a right angle.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Is bigger the better with airbox's? Been reading all about manifolds but not hearing much about airbox's and what designs flow enough for the 250-270 hp range? I know fatz are good but im removing my duel battery so ill have alot of room to play with.

·
Registered
nissan
1,093 Posts
Is bigger the better with airbox's? Been reading all about manifolds but not hearing much about airbox's and what designs flow enough for the 250-270 hp range? I know fatz are good but im removing my duel battery so ill have alot of room to play with.
Yes bigger is better.

Ideally I'd like to have an airbox sitting where the battery sits. From here the outlet can run down to the turbo. You can enter the airbox without the need for another right angle. The bracing in between the inner and outer guard may be compromised but you can reinforce around this.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Yes bigger is better.

Ideally I'd like to have an airbox sitting where the battery sits. From here the outlet can run down to the turbo. You can enter the airbox without the need for another right angle. The bracing in between the inner and outer guard may be compromised but you can reinforce around this.

Yea thats where i was planing on coming through. I guess ill just get a filter that will flow enough and build around that

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Yes that looks the goods! I need to sort something out because my pumps almost ready and I'm still running the factory box hahah

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Also on the hunt for a good airbox to fit with dual battery set up. Spoke to Richie at Radius but he reckons battery tray and overflow tank has to be moved back about 70mm to fit his panel filter airbox. Problem is i have only 25mm to play with where vacuum cannister is

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts