Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I’m guessing what they are trying to say is that yes the engine is sucking but the area which the filter is houses is just a pass through and as long as the filter is clean and the end of the snorkel is not blocked, then pressure is minimal and thus should not create pressure in the breather lines.
But what if the snorkel gets blocked and your filter is clogged with red dust from traveling out in woop?
It all sounds good in theory but if it was such a good idea, why don’t car manufacturers do it this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
77 Posts
The breather lines are exiting before the air filter so that won't make a difference blocked or not, but yeah a big vacuum will be created if the snorkel gets blocked.

Take the head off your vacuum cleaner, drill a hole in the side of the pipe toward the end, fit a vacuum gauge without adding any obstructions in the pipe hold the pipe in the air and switch the vacuum on and see how much vacuum registers on the gauge then you'll see what I am saying.

Not sure if this is gonna help the OP with his dilemma unless he's got dirty carpets, I've given my input I think I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take the head off your vacuum cleaner, drill a hole in the side of the pipe toward the end, fit a vacuum gauge without adding any obstructions in the pipe hold the pipe in the air and switch the vacuum on and see how much vacuum registers on the gauge then you'll see what I am saying.
Before you drill that hole in the side of the pipe, lets make it 4” in diameter!!!

·
Every dog has his day
18,158 Posts
Does anyone have a boost gauge in their car? If it’s tapped in a fitting perpendicular to the pipe it’s fitted to I guess you see zero boost and have no idea what your boost is?

Wait, what’s that? Your boost gauge works???? No, apparently your mistaken.

Contrary to the laws of physics, pressure will not attempt to equalize in a vessel.

Since today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good read haha thanks for the info, plans are to run it for a few trips and monitor the diff oils, I pulled a line of the box while it was running and held a lighter to the tube, the flame ever so slightly was sucked towards the tube, when the engine rpms are brought up the "suction" is only a increased by a small amount, so not enough to suck a flame off a lighter... the noise the snorkel makes now is a bit annoying tho Haha big woosh when coming off the gas/boost, it's like a loose fart, has anyone seen a reason to fit a blow of valve for that build up pressure release or is it fine just going back through turbo?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts