Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make up a snorkel for my GQ shorty and I was after some feedback on what size tube to use. 3" seems to be popular but I eventually want to fit a TD42 ith a turbo in place of the TB42 that presently powers the old girl. My previous experiance with snorkels was on my GU and when you had it working hard the inlet bends on the turbo would suck flat due to the restrictions in the Airtec snorkel it had fitted.

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
I built myself a 3" custom snorkel out of 3" exhaust pipe and ran some flexy pipe straight to the airbox mate, absolutely no restrictions there at all, have a squiz:

You could probably run something similar with a turbo, just whack a custom airbox on there, run some silicone hose down to your turbo and bob's your aunty.

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
i went 4 and it looks smick. just dont look at the hole i cut haha.
but if going td42t option they use alot of air and do benefit from a 4" snorlel so may as well do it once and properly. depending on where you will run it to but i used all the factory inlet piping for mine and just got a 4-3" reducer and some gaffa tape. bit dodgey but is still working well to this day been on for about 4 months now.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
I went 4" and i think its perfect, I always receive comments on it.
Forum member "lostdownunder" made it for me.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
I'm in the process now of making one in 90mm Black Polyethylene pipe. good stuff but not everyone has access to it or the machines to weld it. Either way 90mm is just over 3" and i reckin it looks sweet and is no more restrictive than the factory set up. Good luck with it mate, i know i'm gonna need it:) .

P.s Accessaquatics... that snorkel really does look sweet

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
hey fella. mine is also 3" exhaust pipe with flexi coil in the engine bay. had to modify my skirt a little but all is good. removed the pre filters so no restrictions, sucks like you know what. just need a zaust to go with it.

Attachments

·
Banned
682 Posts
No point in going 4" but having a 3" exhaust cause we all know what goes in must come out but then 4" does look tough. Never tought of using black poly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
No point in going 4" but having a 3" exhaust cause we all know what goes in must come out but then 4" does look tough. Never tought of using black poly.
it seems easier to push it out than suck it in i have a factory nissan snorkel and its a restriction so its being replaced by a 4" ss snorkel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts