Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
just about to start on a canopy build and need some advice. Never done on before.

I have a shortened steel tray. I want to put a dog/fridge box behind the cab and a canopy behind that with wheel carriers on the rear and a rack on top.

Plan is three uprights following the rough shape of the headboard, box steel.
two near the front to make the box and one on the rear braced for two wheels.
mesh over the dog box side and checkerplate surrounding the fridge box.

also checker sheet for the roof and front and rear of the canopy part.
canvas on the sides of the canopy.
this means I wont have sides on the tray becauss of the dog box.

the frame is pretty straight forward as we will follow the slant of the headboard. But im concerned about getting the checker sheeting right and getting a good seal between the checker top and canvas sides.

I would imagine a sail track is needed for the canvas but is it hard for the upholsterer if it has a bend in the frame and no tray sides?

Any advice appreciated.

original concept for reference: I originall wanted checker sides but its going to be too much weight and stuffing around.
Whitsunday Metal Fabrication - stainless steel fabrication

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
This is exactly what im thinking about doing, need ideas!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just a thought for you.

I have a canvas over steel mesh frame canopy, and I have found that it gets very hot inside the tray when the canvas is down.

We have just come back from a trip to the Kimberley and before going I installed Foilboard on the frame in an attempt to reduce temps. It worked really well and I would highly recommend it.

I think the dogs would really benefit if it was put under the ali roof as well.

Here is a pic as I was putting it on. If you look through the frame you can see the first couple of sheets on.

All the best with your design.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Watching this closely! Want to do pretty much the same thing myself.

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got the base and uprights done last night. Took a lot of dicking around the get the uprights straight and they still don't line up fully yet. They are just tack welded and can be manipulated if needed. It's hard trying to get them perfect.

Ill try and get some pics up soon of the frame.

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking the best way to line up the uprights is to get the front one done perfect (which is basically is) and then take them all off, line them all up against the front one on the ground and tack them into place. Then tack them back onto the baseframe ready for welding.

All is made from 40x40 steel and as it stands can easily be lifted off by two people with little effort, so not much weight in it yet, this is before all the bracing however....

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
if you are wanting to leave it just open sides with canvas on the rear section, when the canvas bloke does it, get him to stitch a pocket along the side, where the crease will be, then push a piece of alloy or steel through and that will keep the seam on the bend nice and straight.

ive done this before and it works a treat.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,066 Posts
Hi Tim
I don't know about Guru but I could help answer your questions so fire away..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts