Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Had a look through the archives and looks like I need a swivel hub rebuild kit. Just want to confirm before I spend a few $100

Live in a remote community on wa/nt border so basically do nothing but dirt roads. Noticed a slight vibration in the steering when turning, and when I had a look under to check nothing had come loose etc, I discovered..

So swivel hub rebuild?

Also the car is still under statutory warranty from a dealer in WA. Would they have to cover the replacement parts? (No chance of getting the vehicle to them). Car has done 65k, 2015

Cheers 馃嵒

Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
Yes, it looks like it. You'd better replace the 4 of them (up and down), and all seals.

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
I think you may find oil is leaking from the diff, that isn't just grease, but check everything, if you had a vibration before there could be wheel bearing and/or king pin bearing looseness issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I think you鈥檙e right, when I was checking it I did think to myself that it smelt like diff oil. So what would that mean?

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
I think you鈥檙e right, when I was checking it I did think to myself that it smelt like diff oil. So what would that mean?
Seals. Download the workshop manual from the DI Archives, post #9, you will find instructions and exploded views.

Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
I had to review my vocabulary.
It is the front drive shaft (?) seal which died, as the king pin bearings are dead themselves. And the oil from the front axle is getting through the seal. Time to change it and replace the king pins bearing too.
I did it on mine 2 years ago.

and put together this tool using two 'extractors' to remove the bearing easily as I had no hydraulic press.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, I have been getting wear on the outside of both of my front tires. Could this be a bent axle..?

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Forgot to mention, I have been getting wear on the outside of both of my front tires. Could this be a bent axle..?
No not necessarily, could be a few things, play or excess toe in/out, you mentioned a vibration earlier and I said to check king pin and wheel bearing adjustment, a wheel alignment at a reputable place will answer any questions there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Nearest place is 800km away, live in remote outback.

There is definitely a bent in the axle, below the big clump of dirt it bends up slightly. Unless it鈥檚 meant to be like that?

Registered
You need to put a straight edge on it. That could be an optical illusion due to the slight mound of dirt.

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Nearest place is 800km away, live in remote outback.

There is definitely a bent in the axle, below the big clump of dirt it bends up slightly. Unless it鈥檚 meant to be like that? View attachment 516301
OK understand now, what Grafe suggests is a good start, these things are tough, they do bend but man it takes a lot of pounding to happen so only you would know how hard this has worked since you have owned it (do you know anything of its previous history, was it a town or bush vehicle? Wa it a 'clean' unit when you bought it?). Worth a check with dealer about parts considering your isolation.
You need to put a straight edge on it. That could be an optical illusion due to the slight mound of dirt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts