Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

D shackle trailer illegality

3K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  dronus4x4 
#1 ·
My son just sent me this. I haven't heard anything about it or had any updates at work on this ruling. Anybody else heard anything?

It makes sense and I am going to look into it further.

See less See more
#3 ·
If it did come in, it did so without publicity (doesn't say what year), I haven't heard a whisper, but truth is stranger than fiction so I eagerly await more responses :).

#5 ·
You can get both D shackles and Bow shackles with "SWL" (Safe Working Load) or "WLL (Working Load Limit) on them. D shackles are used for a straight line pull (one sling/chain each end. Bow shackles cater for a single sling / chain on the pin end and multi-able slings / chains on the Bow end. Every trailer should use rated shackles. Cheers

#7 ·
In kennards and the landscape places here in SA they have similar warnings.
When I picked up a tandem trailer that I had custom built the guy told me that the police had driven past before when someone else picked up a trailer and they got a talking to for having not rated shackles.

I guess its enforced in SA too.

#10 · (Edited)
Most states and NT must have chain rated and stamped as certified to AS 4177
Shackles rated to AS 2741-2002

WA June 2010
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_VS_CI_119.pdf

NT October 2010
http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/__da...ht-Trailer-Safety-Chain-Shackles-Jan-2013.pdf

Qld August 2014

NOTE that the guide says for shackles RECOMENDED to meet AS 2741-2002
See page 7. It does not say must have so they can not fine you for it unless there is a rule, act, regulation in some other legislation.

http://www.google.com.au/url?url=ht...RMr8Hw&usg=AFQjCNEv56Jb8mGtaFu8QCQnSCHPikNXHg

#14 ·
Most states and NT must have chain rated and stamped as certified to AS 4177
Shackles rated to AS 2741-2002

Qld August 2014

NOTE that the guide says for shackles RECOMENDED to meet AS 2741-2002
It does not say must have.
Most of this stuff in Qld is Standards based and that being so, "recommended" IS the standard, anything less that that is not accepted. When I was doing Enforcement that was the requirement expected by Qld Transport.

AS2471-2002 is the standard so it is a MUST HAVE as a MINIMUM, no iffs no butts

#11 ·
Its interesting regarding the chain. My tandem trailer (made in SA) chain is welded to a plate that is attached to the frame. My xtrail camper (made in Vic) uses shackles at both ends..

Might have to get longer chains and have them attached...

#13 ·
I think the gympie cops are following on from the transport Dept inspections down at the Fraser island ferry over Easter where they were inspecting trailer, Caravan and ute weights and and chains and shackels. There has been a lot on the Caravan forums about it. Be just one lazy traffic branch copper up there, sitting on his ar-se on the side of the road and making easy ticket numbers, just stop every caravan and trailer sure to get a ticket. No shortage this time of year.

I had had to have my chains replaced when I bought my van from Victoria a few years ago, the Road worthy place at Tingalpa just replaced the chains automatically and billed me for them because they had to be load rated chains. funny thing is they then supplied un rated 10mm shackles, cheeky buggars.

I never though anything of it till a couple of weeks ago when the forums started up and I went and checked, so off the bolt shop in Capalabaaaar and got a couple of Wll ( Working Load Limit) 1.5 ton l rated bow shackles for the caravan it has an ATM of 2050 kgs so 1.5 T is all I needed. They were really cheap about $4-$7 each or something like that. Lot cheaper than $235.00

Nic92GQ above stated 1.5 times the trailer ATM, That's nor really correct;
what it really says is "and have a break load limit of the shackle is rated at least 1.5 times greater than the ATM of the trailer."

This is explained further as ;"• Rated bolts, chain shackles or other suitable fittings (i.e. hammerlocks) may be used as devices for connection on safety chains providing the break load limit of the device is at least 1.5 times greater than the ATM of the trailer

• Generally, the break load limit of a rated shackle will be six times greater than its work load limit.

Taking as an example my new 11mm Bow shackles, they have a WLL of 1.5 Tonnes, that means the Break Load Limit of these shackles is 1.5 X 6 = 9 tonnes, my Caravan at 2050 ATM really requires only a Break Load Limit shackle rated to 3.75Tonnes or a WLL of 0.625 Kgs, which is a 10mm Grade S or 6 shackle.

I have gone up one shackle size X 2 ( two chains and shackles) which gives me a margin of nearly 250% in the interests of towing safety.

I feel fairly confident that it will blow the chain welds to the drawbar apart if it all really goes to chit, who really wants 2, out of control, Tonnes chasing them down the road.

Another important thing if you have two chains and shackles, you can't split the load between the shackles' and chains, each MUST be of the required standard... and you cant have the two chains coupled to a single shackle even if its of the right load rating, you must have 2 correctly rated shackles. Go figure that one out????

#17 · (Edited)
My parents have not long got a jeep grand Cherokee (yes I know I know a jeep) and it's got the genuine mopar 3.5 Ton tow bar but the only rated shackles that will fit through the holes in it are the little 1.2t ratedi think they are so you can't fit shackles rated got the load the heap of crap can tow.

#18 ·
what??

Ah you mean cant fit rated more than it can tow. having trouble reading chinese English as she is writ

#20 ·
Safety Chain Connections (Shackles, Pins or Bolts)

The Department of Transport and Main Roads recommends that the shackles used should meet Australian Standard AS 2741-2002 “Shackles”, or another equivalent recognised standard, and have a break load limit of the shackle is rated at least 1.5 times greater than the ATM of the trailer.

It's a recommendation only, not law...... (and poorly composed, too)

#22 ·
Its standards based, either you meet or exceed the standards or you don't, if you don't, it doesn't comply end of story. As QT puts it "it does not comply with Queensland registration and vehicle standard legislation;

That bit was at the end of the document about CTP Insurance but highlights that the Qld rules are standards based. The difficulty is that most things are based around Australian Standards, which are Superior, but where there is no nominated Au standard or practice, QT has gone off on their own. Its a bit of a PIA in Marine safety matters.

#23 ·
a proper rated shackle capable of being used on a 3500kg trailer costs $3.50 at any bolt shop. just get one and use it.if not for the safety of your trailer and contents, do it for the safety of the wife and kids driving the opposite way to you that the trailer will plough head on into when your $2 crappy little standard d shackle gives out at the wrong time..

any trailer I make and sell is supplied with a rated d shackle and I also don't just weld the chains to the drawbar (welding a 8 or 10mm chain to a 2 or 3mm piece of rhs isn't the safest thing to do. I use weld on camlock safety chains. these come with rated camlocks and rated chains and cost a grand total of approx. $30..not a big expense to be a bit safer

dave

#24 ·
RosieB, it Sux to be in Qld then. I do completely agree with you that these should be standards but in WA the guideline is quite clear "must", there is no ambiguity about "recommended". My point is only that if you are someone who has been issued a fine for something that is "recommended in the guideline" but a "requirement of the law", then the guideline is at fault and should accurately reflect the legislation.

Obviously the easy way is to just get the correct chain and shackle, like Bolsy said it is cheap. But the Guideline needs to be amended and people should be informed of the correct requirements.

#27 ·
Just checked my CT. 1 shackle is load rated. The other not. Might go get another one on the weekend just to be on the safe side.
That nut and bolt place up Smith St on the left has a good range, and cheap too. Don't think they are open Saturday. Noticed Bunnings has some smaller rated ones, might be in your load range.

Reactions: skegbudley
#30 ·
The shackles with the yellow pins, will be marked "WLL ( then a load rating in T e.g. WLL 1.5T) then the letter "S or 6" or the letter "M or 4", depending on the grade of material, then the manufacturer/supplier ID, and the batch number ( in my case AL - AusLift, Batch Nr. BN04) and then will have the diameter size of the shackle - 11mm .

Everything you need to know is here; types of load shackles, and specifications of every size...
http://cms.austlift.com.au/sites/default/files/section7c.pdf, has tables with sizes of every shackle - mine were spot to with the measurements, just checked the measurements of my Bow shackle now as I went through it.

Shackles marked "S" or "6" have the highest rating, at almost 3 times the rating of similar sized shackles marked "M" or "4"

#28 ·
haven't heard of this in Vic, odd considering Vic is normally leading the way in finding new thing things to fine motorists for.
Last trailer I hired from Bunnings did not have rated shackles, just pissy little things that I wouldn't have used on an empty 6x4. No excuse for that really since it's bunnings and they sell rated shackles FFS.

#29 ·
The last person who hired it probably pinched the rated ones and put their shackles on that they got from cheap as chips.. Haha.

True about Vic and their fines.. I'll be heading there in a few months so I'd better get saving :)

#34 ·
Is SA they have cameras on the se freeway and pt Wakefield road that can count axles.. Trucks with 5 axels or more have a lower posted speed limit.

I was thinking about bolting some wheels to the side of my tandem trailer for giggles :)

#35 ·
Nsw have Safety cameras at traffic lights which detect speed and red light- signs in place advising of this.
Privately owned mobile speed cameras which were for black spot areas but lately in places where it's 60 and never an accident.signs must be in place b4 and after.
Cameras on police cars can check reg, owner details. I don't mind that one.

D shackles must be in place, I use 2 when can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.