Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to spend around 3-4 grand on upgrading front and rear diffs to GU including chromoly axles for my GQ TD42 but have read about D60's and 70's apparently a lot stronger...... Can anyone give me a quick run down on what they are....?? where they come from...?? roughly how expensive....?? And anything I should know or be aware.....?? Thanx heaps

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
Sorry but if you have to ask the question, in guessing you'll be paying somebody to fit and is probably not something you even need.

They're dana 60 / 70, out of big American cars, yes they're stronger. But a diff swap will need custom mounts fabricated onto the diff housings, for all radius arms, links, spring / shocks mounts. Also most likely custom tailshaft / flanges to adapt to the Dana pinion flanges, and even a diff flip in the front to suit a patrol drivers side drop transfer output, unless you found an old ford effy one.

Are you currently blowing up a lot of GQ parts? Even factory GU cv's are way stronger, then you got the option of chromo later. What are you planning on using the car for?

·
Registered
Nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx mate.... It's just a weekend warrior camping trips bush tracks very rarely driven...... Doing a cape trip end of the year minimal highway driving except Cape trip obviously I'm in brissy...... Haven't broken anything yet and haven't taken it off road yet either just getting prepared to spend money on it and wanted to do it right first time around..... Judging from what u wrote dana 60/70 is gonna be pricey $$$ so i think simple gu front n rear with the option to chromo later would be suffice...... And I should be able to do most of that myself....... Any thoughts.....?? Cheers mate

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
Yep! Stock GU diffs are a great upgrade, stronger CV's, better brakes and wider track width, and it'll all easy bolt on mods.

That being said, unless your running 37" tyres and twin lockers, mechanical sympathy when driving would see your GQ diff's handle the trip just fine, they're still pretty strong until you do silly stuff. GQ chromos are only 8-900 as well. Although I'd just pack a spare std cv on a long trip anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts