Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an awesome arvo building a mezanine floor in my shed with my dad and a great mate. Made me realize once again how lucky I am to have a dad who loves to help out anywhere he can, loves wheeling, is a mate as well as a role model. hope 1 day my kids feel the same about me.
So just a quik note to tell all the sons that appreciate their old man to let them know, they will get a kick out of it. ( even if they have 100 series cruisers)

here is my dad in green shirt and me in the blue shirt on his b'day last year. he was as excited as a 6yr on easter when we went over, couldnt get the smile off his face.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Well said mate I feel the same way about my dad and hope I can be that way for my sons.
That looks like big red, I was talking to your dad there one day a few years back when all you boys were out there and he was a bloody nice bloke. I had a cruiser at that time too!

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
great thread mate! unfortunatley my oldman isnt with us anymore but he always use to take us camping & he introduced me to 4wdriving when I was a kid (even though it was a 2a Landrover) but now I take my 2 oldest boy's camping & 4wdriving.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep great stuff, I have been in a fishing club with my old man since I was 7 (1982) and still going strong. Have a little bloke of my own now (just over 2 years) and he follows me like a fart when heading to the shed or when going for a drive in "Dads monster truck" . A good family relationship puts everything in perspective when things are sh*thouse elsewhere.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
My dad passed away 23 years ago. I only have a daughter, but she is a revhead like me, and I spend a lot of time helping her with her car(VT Clubsport). Mostly advise, as I cant do what I used to when younger anymore:(

A lot of people dont realize what family is until its too late.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
It's interesting reading a thread like this.

It's great to see people that have good relationships with their Fathers.

I never got to experience any of what your talking about but it does sound pretty good.

Cheers

Justin

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Great to hear guys. My father is still around and relatively healthy but I do not really have a relationship with him apart from the fact that he's my father. Not a hateful relationship, we just don't seem to have anything else in common lol. A divorce and now living in another state makes it somewhat harder too.

Hopefully sometime in the future if I ever end up with children I will remember this and make an effort to have things in common with my kids so I am not somewhat of a stranger to them. :cool:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Good thread.makes u think. My dads a consulting structual engineer.never really saw him growing up.since he was all over the globe.still dont get to see him much.took me wheeling once and I was hooked.top bloke.been through some rough times.

This thread has made me realize I need to make more of a effort.while hes still around.
Cheers guys

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
I never had a good relationship with my father when I was growing up, he was a cop and thuis very strict and also doing alot of shift work. I joined the navy at 15, obviously left home and we never really spoke for years especially after my parents divorce. When I was in my 30's we had a father/son cruise on the ship I was on. I decided to take him with me and show him how I lived. After a week at sea, we pulled into Syd, Dad and I decided to hits the town, after a night in The Rocks drinking Bundy, we decided to sort out a few issues ( as you do when you have a skinful), we talked for hours about things that had happened when I was growing up and why they happened. Since then we have been the Best of Mates.

One thing I realised then, that it was never too late to talk with your father/folks and learn.

Remember you only have one real father, don't waste it whilst they are around.

My condolences to those guys who have had their fathers pass on already.

Apologies for the long windedness of this post.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Keep as close as you can. Blood is blood. Loved my dad and love my son.
Mum used to ask 'where's Dad.'
Answer was usually 'he's in the shed, playing with his dirty toys' (tools)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
This is a perfect subject for all fathers and not forgetting mothers also.
I had a good time growing up and the old man was always home everynight for 'happy hour' and dinner except for Friday RSL night!
Have plenty of memories on camping around the country in a 4x4 F100 with slide on camper with my brother and mother in tow. Best memories.

Now I am introducing my 6.5 yr old into 4 wheeling and camping. It's working out fantastic and getting along like a house on fire.
So to everyone out there thinking about there son/daughter into camper or helping them out in a interest of your child's - just do it you will be rewarded 10 times over.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
awesome thread. my old my was my best man at my wedding and is my best mate. always keen to help me out as i am with him.

oh and he does have a cruiser, but dont worry i let him know about it most times im with him!

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Sadly, I don't know my real dad, and my step father was a complete arsehole. Have always vowed my relationship with my boys would be different and it is. They are only 5 and 6 but they know how to use a spanner, go wheeling all the time with me, laugh when the truck has a wee lay down on its side and I tell them I love them every chance I get. They gave me a new appreciation of life really.
Al

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Good stuff Shane. Your dad is a great bloke, I've had a lot of fun with him (and you) on our drives in GH. He reminds me of my stepdad Jim who was a great role-model and mate for me (he passed away a year or so ago at 82). Jim taught me how to do just about everything from mechanical work to carpentry to plumbing, he was actually an electrician so I know about that too.

My own dad wasn't much of a father to me, but I miss him too.

Here's Jim wondering why he bought an XB GT in 1976, when for the same money he could have had a 5 year old Phase III...

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Great thread, jackd that is a great story.

My Dad drove trucks 20 hours a day when i was a kid so I didnt get a lot of time with him either, but when we did do things they are memories ill never forget.
We have quite a bit to do with each other now, which we both love.
I now have two boys of my own and I try my best to give them the same sorts of memories my dad gave me.

Here is a pic of me and Dad a few weeks ago with his T Model Ford. Dads 66 im soon to be 41, only the second pic we have together!

·
Registered
nissan 3.0
116 Posts
hi all,
Great thread pruplebus. I was thinking just the other day about my dad and what lies ahead. He has just turned 79 and all the family who are here got together for his birthday. To see the look on his face at the table, surrounded by his family was fantastic.
He used to take me camping when I was a youngster and I still remember those time like yesterday, he has taught me heaps.
I amazes me now how alike we are to our parents, some of the things I tell my boys sound just like how Dad talked to me.
We still do heaps of thing together.
Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome guys..!!! So glad to see a bunch of blokes openly talking about feeling for their dads, mums and kids. We aren't bad folk after all.

To those that have not known or not had good dads condolances but you seem to take the lesson to be a better dad to your own kids. If he was a ***** at least you took the good lesson from that. Well done.

To those that have lost their dads, good to see you keeping the awesome memories alive. My wife lost her dad in her teens and it was hard on our wedding day for her. I can understand only partially the feeling of that massive loss. I will be a mess when my parents pass.

To those that have grown apart or lost contact with their mum or dad...... give them a ring and say g'day. Dont just go yeah I will just check trip/track then buzz. DO IT NOW. Your next trip may be with him/her/them.

For Squalo and bonesgu who have met my dad Bruce you know why he is a legend. Murray ( Squalo) everytime I have wheeled with you the family is always in your truck, great job it is more fun with the family I reckon. long live the wagons....!!!!!
Feel free to post a pic of your dad/son. I will make sure this weekend I grab a pic of dad,me and my kids all together to post.

As people have stated blood is blood and family is everything.
PS. rung ya Dad yet..??!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i dont have anything to do with my parents, or most of my family for that matter. The parents didnt like my girlfriend, we hit trouble and they said if i want anything to do with her then ur not welcome here. i took that as im not welcome there reguardless then. girl and i worked it out and they still wont talk to me. i have 6 siblings, 5 followed suit of my parents, the eldest has been an outcast for 10 years so we still get along sweet.

i still get in contact with them every few months to see if they are willing to stop being morons but usually only get back, "we're good thanks, bye"

the girl n i are considering having kids soon, ill be making sure i wont be repeating my parents mistakes.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Nice thread Guys, it's amazing to see the relationships people have with their parents.

My Dad is an absolutely amazing man,Although very strict whilst growing up he has always been there for me and helped myself and my brother out every way he can (my mother does too :) ). Recently my father and Grandfather and i renovated my bathroom together. The wealth of knowledge between them is amazing and it was touching to see 3 generations working side by side and loving every minute of it.

I have copped some pretty wierd looks because i'm not afraid to hug my father in public or tell him that i love him. I guess I've just got an amazing family unit. Now all that is left is to get the old bugger into a partol (his eyes light up when he drives my brothers GQ shorty but wont admit it)

Respect to all fathers and sons.

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
I also haven't had much of a father, his dad died when he was 2, he split from my mum when I was 2.

I went to live with him when I was young though he wasn't around much.

Didn't really teach me s.h.i.t everything I know I've learned myself or learnt with/from mates.

I've always believed in bloods thicker than water and until 18 months ago would have done anything for family, but in my case it's obviously not the case, I've come to realize it's just they curve ball lifes thrown me.

I envy the relationships you guys have with your dads and I'm glad my dad has a better relationship with his second son.

It seems as though his learnt from past mistakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts