Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents have owned and loved their ST30 GQ since they bought it new in 1993.
It's a silver ST30 which, for some reason, is nicknamed 'Silver'.

Just recently I took it for a drive and and a rego inspection, which it passed, as usual.

So. Introducing 'Silver'....

Dad got 'Silver' because he liked my 1991 GQ so much. He chose the ST30 because it was comfortable and really low cost for what it was in 1993.
The RB30 engine still runs well, and looking over the whole car, it's in such good condition. I'm impressed. Dad has really looked after 'Silver'.
Looking over it, I can't see any rust, which is good for a GQ of that vintage.
Original coil springs. Original interior. It's comfortable in a way a raised aftermarket suspension is not.
Really, the only additions are a new stereo and that big bullbar, which I think was originally meant for an F-series.
The ST30 was originally a 7-seater. The little seat in the back was removed to allow cargo space, but that seat is just sitting in the garage waiting to be put back in.
Likewise, the original chrome bumper is in storage.
'Silver' is pretty much Granddad spec.

I'm thinking of taking 'Silver' on as a bit of a project. Clean everything up and return to factory (if not showroom) appearance.
Not sure how much time and money might be required, perhaps a few here might be able to advise, is such a project worthwhile?

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,325 Posts
Goes to show they are out there. Revert to factory items and preserve if you have the time, space and inclination.
Considering refitting factory bar and seats is free, how's the paint and body work?

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goes to show they are out there. Revert to factory items and preserve if you have the time, space and inclination.
Considering refitting factory bar and seats is free, how's the paint and body work?
The bodywork is good, with the exception of a ding on a front guard. That ought to be a simple fix.
Given a proper wash the paintwork is still glossy.
Just how clean it is overall is quite surprising. Testament to a life of proper garaging and mostly inland travel, that is, no beach work.
The interior needs a good vacuum. The seats and door trims are in pretty good condition, just need a steam clean.
I think 'Silver' would look very neat with the original chrome bumper and the factory wheels re-painted.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,561 Posts
Wow... lovely Patrol 👌

·
Registered
nissan gq
445 Posts
How many K's on it Rick?
We have one in our family like that, a 94 TD42 240K all original imaculate car owned since 94. Such a good car.

jim

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many K's on it Rick?
We have one in our family like that, a 94 TD42 240K all original imaculate car owned since 94. Such a good car.

jim
315k on it. A lot of that would be highway touring.
There's something magic about a factory-spec GQ nowadays. They are becoming rare.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,163 Posts
My cousin has a Td42 GQ Ti, that has had the springs and shocks changed with a 2" lift, and an ally bull bar put on it. UHF, and a non standard stereo, with cargo barrier and roller draws. That's it. Done 185,000km I think from memory. Very nice.

It will be in my shed very soon, in order to release a few more horsies, and do a few other minor things at the same time.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,000 Posts
Sold. I'll pick it up once borders reopen lol.

But seriously, it sounds like a well looked after example which is rare as most older Patrols are beaten and hacked up. Especially petrols as they tend to be cheaper.
If I were you I'd just throw the original parts back on it, give it a full service and enjoy it. Pretty much just do the opposite of me lol.

Reactions: Marko_SJ and RickGQ

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sold. I'll pick it up once borders reopen lol.

But seriously, it sounds like a well looked after example which is rare as most older Patrols are beaten and hacked up. Especially petrols as they tend to be cheaper.
If I were you I'd just throw the original parts back on it, give it a full service and enjoy it. Pretty much just do the opposite of me lol.
Thanks!
I'm considering my options. I'd like to clean it up as a keeper, however I might need to move it on for financial reasons.
Maybe put the original parts back, clean it up, enjoy it for a bit and move it on. It needs a good home and regular exercise lol.

·
Registered
nissan
489 Posts
Thanks!
I'm considering my options. I'd like to clean it up as a keeper, however I might need to move it on for financial reasons.
Maybe put the original parts back, clean it up, enjoy it for a bit and move it on. It needs a good home and regular exercise lol.
If you are thinking of moving it on now is the time to do it as Covid has pushed the second hand market price of Patrol to all time high. A clean example like what you have here will fetch a premium. The sad fact though is that it wont stay that way too long. Continue to fix and change items if you plan to keep it or move it along and hope you dont get to see pictures of what the next guys makes of it.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are thinking of moving it on now is the time to do it as Covid has pushed the second hand market price of Patrol to all time high. A clean example like what you have here will fetch a premium. The sad fact though is that it wont stay that way too long. Continue to fix and change items if you plan to keep it or move it along and hope you dont get to see pictures of what the next guys makes of it.
Very good advice, and precisely my thoughts. I can see only one ST30 on Carsales and "Silver" is cleaner, but without all the accessories. It's a clean slate for the purist or the modifier.
Wonder if it's worth cleaning up that ding on the front guard or just letting it go as is.
Would a buyer be more attacted to it with that ugly bullbar or with the factory chrome bumper... Put the bumper on it, fix the ding and it's almost showroom.

·
Registered
nissan
489 Posts
Very good advice, and precisely my thoughts. I can see only one ST30 on Carsales and "Silver" is cleaner, but without all the accessories. It's a clean slate for the purist or the modifier.
Wonder if it's worth cleaning up that ding on the front guard or just letting it go as is.
Would a buyer be more attacted to it with that ugly bullbar or with the factory chrome bumper... Put the bumper on it, fix the ding and it's almost showroom.
I would leave it just like it it. A clean honest car that has some blemishes. I would rather buy a complete stocker with a few minor things wrong than something fully modded that has been driven to within and inch of it's life. Whomever buys it will most likely go to town on it. I would leave it as it is other than a vacuum and a wash. Looks to be a neat honest car and the right person will buy it as it is. The chrome bumper is worth a few hundred alone as there are quite a few people that are after them

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would leave it just like it it. The chrome bumper is worth a few hundred alone as there are quite a few people that are after them
You're right about the bumper. I just searched and can't find any online. Seems a new bullbar is cheaper and easier than a new bumper.

The bodywork on "Silver" is in better condition overall than my red GQ. If I hadn't put so much into my TD42 I'd be keeping and restoring "Silver" for sure.

·
Registered
nissan
489 Posts
You're right about the bumper. I just searched and can't find any online. Seems a new bullbar is cheaper and easier than a new bumper.

The bodywork on "Silver" is in better condition overall than my red GQ. If I hadn't put so much into my TD42 I'd be keeping and restoring "Silver" for sure.
I remember the days when I had two Patrols.......

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I remember the days when I had two Patrols.......
View attachment 528652
Wish I could click the "Like" button 5 times...

The bonnet scoop on the GQ looks quite decent. I've shied away from cutting the bonnet on mine, opting instead for a W2A setup.

May I ask, which of these is your favourite?

·
Registered
nissan
489 Posts
Wish I could click the "Like" button 5 times...

The bonnet scoop on the GQ looks quite decent. I've shied away from cutting the bonnet on mine, opting instead for a W2A setup.

May I ask, which of these is your favourite?
"Big Red" right in the middle is my favorite one and the one that I have the most time and money invested in. It is one of the small number of factory imported TD42 auto's that I have heavily modified over my 16yrs of ownership.

The White Mav is a one owner TB42 with just over 200k on the clock. Was to be my son's first car which I modified from completely stock to mild tourer. I was about to TD swap it but the idea of killing a factory original car was too much so left it alone. Will be going to my nephew as his first car shortly.

The Gold GU was bought as a blown up 3lt and I TD swapped this one. Has been my daily for the last 18mths and will be my boys first car when he gets his license in 2 mths time.

The Blue one will be my new daily and is near finished. Was also a ZD30 but now a TD42ti auto.

The last GQ also know as "Zero $ Q" was bought as a Covid project for me and the kids. Is being built to be a trail queen to save Big Red getting any more battle scares. 3in lift GU diffed twin ARB's ARB front and kaymar rear, my own custom sliders to come and chop to fit the 37in Treps waiting in the garage.

But Big Red is my favorite

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep. Big Red is a keeper.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another view of Silver, from the side, just before a rego inspection. Passed, of course.
So, Silver has almost a year's rego.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,325 Posts
I need another car like a hole in the head but have been considering looking for a minter MQ-GQ as a collector's item.
There's a non running GQ going for 2K locally, but it certainly is nothing like Silver. Tempted to pick it up anyway, I dont think it'd take much to get going (or could TD swap it).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts