Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watching a repeat of the Dakar Rally from this year. Am wondering, has a Patrol ever competed in the Dakar Rally? If not. How do you guys think a Patrol (whatever model) would go competing in it. Interested in your thoughts.:p

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thanks madriver911, I will have to have a look and see what I can find. Just interested to see how they go against the others.

·
Registered
636 Posts
My opinion

Anything that has done well has been so heavily modified that it is almost irrelivant what the vehicle started as. Take a look at the Pajero for example.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is very true, we had a bloke working with us the other week from Holland, he modifies vehicles for the Dakar. He was supposed to start work on some this month, but his mother in law is sick, is the reason he is in Oz

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,703 Posts
The dmax was 'relatively' stock apart from obvious engine mods and suspension upgrades from what I have heard.

Anything would be competitive if your pockets and knowledge of the vehicle setup is deep enough

my 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
636 Posts
The costs.

If you are thinking of entering a patrol in the Dakar bear in mind the costs. My rough guess would be $500,000 per vehicle, per year. Almost no-one completes it in their first year, so unless you have a spare ( and I mean spare ) million then it is out of reach for us mere mortals, unless it is such a dream that you want to re-mortgage your house.

We ( as a Family ) are thinking of doing a tour, following the ( Dakar ) rally, even this is getting up there price wise, but it has been a dream of mine forever. I have no wish to compete, just spectate at some of the timed events.

Cheers Gordo'

By the way, if you are thinking of doing it then I have only one word for you " jealous".

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah right, like I have that kind of money lying around. I wish, I wouldn't mind following the race. I was just curious about Patrols and the Dakar is all as I have never seen or heard of any doing it.

I would need to have a couple of mill and have roos loose in the top paddock to do that race, lmao

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,374 Posts
Yep there has been plenty of patrols, but I think because of nissans aliance with renault has made them slip as renault usually has purpouse built maniac machines, and or the SUV's built for american markets are holding up the nissan name

Search ebay, seems there is quite a few Model patrols in race getup sold in south america and spain....

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
yeah i'm banning myself from ebay, i been collecting matchbox and hot wheels cars since i was 8 or 10 and im now 26, just gave my nephew the majority of the cars but kept my favourites and got about 20 now.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
109 Posts
I have just been through the vehicle listings for the 2012 Dakar, the are 2 Nissan Patrols competing..... would be great to see how they fare and to see what upgrade they have done.

Been following the Dakar for the last 10 years. My favorite sporting event of the year. Nightly updates on Fox if you are interested.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,374 Posts
Im guessing this will be the newer shape only sold in UAE?

Im guessing they will be setup well and go like cut cats but Im also thinking they wont finish. No particular reason, just a hunch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I missed my chance of going to watch the Dakar a few years ago, it was starting in Portugal and i could have flew there in 2hrs for about 100 sterling!
That was the last time it was in Europe,
Now it starts in Chile there is prob no chance i could ever get to see it:sad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts