Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
So finally got a cabin filter. Seems I’ve installed it back to front but it will still do the trick.

so back to standard tire size. So much quieter, not the power increase I was expecting but definitely less rolling resistance. Towed 1.8T 400km recently and managed to get EGT’s to 550 momentarily with the FMIC. Warm QLD day and a long hill did it. But on the flat it sits below 300 towing. Also water temps were surprisingly stable! Very pleased! I think wheel size has improved water temp stability, possibility due to restoring factory spec…. Oh well I’m rambling

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
So finally got a cabin filter. Seems I’ve installed it back to front but it will still do the trick.

so back to standard tire size. So much quieter, not the power increase I was expecting but definitely less rolling resistance. Towed 1.8T 400km recently and managed to get EGT’s to 550 momentarily with the FMIC. Warm QLD day and a long hill did it. But on the flat it sits below 300 towing. Also water temps were surprisingly stable! Very pleased! I think wheel size has improved water temp stability, possibility due to restoring factory spec…. Oh well I’m rambling
Hmm, thanks for reminding me, it is about time I checked the filter I cut into mine.

·
Registered
nissan
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Hmm, thanks for reminding me, it is about time I checked the filter I cut into mine.
definitely noticed it reduced the air flow through the vents. 3 speed is now more of a 2.5, but that's fine, aircon still works well enough.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
definitely noticed it reduced the air flow through the vents. 3 speed is now more of a 2.5, but that's fine, aircon still works well enough.
I noticed the same thing after fitting my filter, there was a definite drop in fan force, but I suppose that is to be expected when we place a restriction on the fan.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,628 Posts
I am aware of the above. I am getting 100km more per tank now with FMIC. If I ever get the time I'm going to connect the Nissan boost controller like Ross has to see if that raises EGT's a bit.

I have a 76.5 deg thermostat which I've been running for a few years now, a number of others with heavily modified units have done the same. Not so bad up here in QLD where it's 30+ most days of the year.
Just rereading the previous page. Did you end up going back to the vacuum solenoid?

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,750 Posts
Never trust the previous wiring. Added the brake cable to the only open slot just to find that the reversing light should have been there. Fixed that one! Talk about sabotage!!
View attachment 535198
Just curious.....

Why do you need a reversing light in a trailer plug?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
No, didn’t get around to it, probably won’t get to it this year… stock tires definitely improved engine strain.

the plug is confusing but basically they’d switched the brake lead and reverse light lead. No need for the reverse light but Nissan wired it in (incorrectly) anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
I think I'll have to fit some airbags to the rear suspension. with 150kg on the tow ball its definitely stagged the OME suspension a bit. Can't blame it, its 6 years old now. Ride quality is ok still so hoping air bags will sort it and be a bit nicer than adding 400KG constant springs. Got my new rear light holder sitting in the garage all wired up and painted, and the wiring is mostly run in the patrol but haven't had the time to finish that project.
Noticed the turbo isn't spooling up as fast, so might be time to take the tillix apart and clean it and check the vac hoses for leaks. Have closed the needle valve but it still feels like the needle valve is open too far. Should sort that tomorrow.
New tires are wearing well. Starting to dream of a new turbo....

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
I think I'll have to fit some airbags to the rear suspension. with 150kg on the tow ball its definitely stagged the OME suspension a bit. Can't blame it, its 6 years old now. Ride quality is ok still so hoping air bags will sort it and be a bit nicer than adding 400KG constant springs. Got my new rear light holder sitting in the garage all wired up and painted, and the wiring is mostly run in the patrol but haven't had the time to finish that project.
Noticed the turbo isn't spooling up as fast, so might be time to take the tillix apart and clean it and check the vac hoses for leaks. Have closed the needle valve but it still feels like the needle valve is open too far. Should sort that tomorrow.
New tires are wearing well. Starting to dream of a new turbo....
The airbags cop a bit of crap but I've had them for many years, they are just so handy for adjusting vehicle level with differing towball weights, if you go that way I would recommend Airbagman.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
The airbags cop a bit of crap but I've had them for many years, they are just so handy for adjusting vehicle level with differing towball weights, if you go that way I would recommend Airbagman.
My 2 cents worth.
yes I was looking at them this morning, did you get standard or reinforced bags?

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,750 Posts
👍for airbags. Have been running them in a patrol since 2006. I'm on my second set (also on my second patrol😉). No issues with the red polyairs I had in the first patrol, which I sold in that vehicle some 10 years later...
I now have the black heavy duty polyairs that can be pumped up to 60psi (not that I ever would).... so I can attest that Polyairs are also good for their cost👍

A little trick when installing them (and I think GU2 also has this.......
When installing I have purposefully left out the 2" rubber packing block at the bottom. Reason being I didnt want the first bit of suspension travel affected too much by the additional resistance of the airbags (this is assuming you have a 2" lift). With the rubber block in place, even at minimum pressure, the bags have some bearing on resistance to suspension travel all the time.

How that makes sense

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
yes I was looking at them this morning, did you get standard or reinforced bags?
Mine are reinforced. I only run 5psi when not towing, never use more than 15psi

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,750 Posts
Yes 2” lift. So basically install them upside down or just install the seat at the other end?
Right way up .........
The big rubber block at the bottom bolts to the coil hat on the diff. That's what I have left out this time around

181 - 197 of 197 Posts