changed 4L of auto fluid, must have been well overdue as it's shifting much nicer now. guess i better do another 4L when I drop the engine oil next.
So had the head tested by a 2nd shop that knows their ZD30's well, again passed. They suggested replacing the header tank and rad cap so thats next on the list. Also time for a new belt so it doesn't wake the neighbours when I'm having to start the engine in the middle of the night to drive to work.
Does anyone know for the CRD if disconnecting the spark plugs will cause a code error?
Also may have made an enquiry about a FMIC....
Do you mean glow plugs? If so, they only work on CRD if water temp is less than 30 degrees (or maybe it was 33, it was a while ago now I tested this). So anything above that they dont get any power.
Picked up 2 tubes of Toyota silicon for the fan hub. new belt is awaiting install too. Currently putting the clear coat on some bull bar rod holders that i've colour matched, looks much better than raw aluminium.
Well that took 11hrs and isn't quite finished yet. Rather enjoyed being fussy as I did it. still need to reconnect the UHF and refit the grill. Amazing how a diesel responds to cool air, so much better pull and smoother, no flat spot at 2200rpm. Had to trim the ARB bar slightly at the top where it meets the grill. Treated a little bit of surface rust when i found it on the way.
Tips I learnt so far.
Take the batteries out.
Take the washer bottle out.
Have some spare silicon pipe on hand.
Make sure to inform you fabricator if its manual or auto (changes the brackets).
Allow for double the time planned (thought it would take 6hrs, I worked slowly to double check everything along the way.
Removing the bull bar, old I/C and cutting the holes is the easy part.
Haven't been able to get EGT's over 350 since fitting. Water temp is sitting cooler despite the I/c being in front of it.
I painted my pipework with high temp spray paint. I also wrapped the hot side pipe work. Hope this helps anyone else who's planning on doing it.
got the joiners to reconnect the UHF today from Jaycar, when the UHF had been fitted by the previous owner the cable was installed in such a way it had to be cut. Anyway, $11 for the stuff and i'll solder it tomorrow.
Bunnings had pinch weld that in placed around the newly cut holes in the wheel arches to protect the pipework.
Managed to get the EGT to 450 today under conditions that would normally see 600, recovery was very fast.
New brakes, so much better! no fade, almost all the fluids changed on the car. Drove 4500km in 2 weeks.
Since converting to FMIC my fuel consumption has improved almost 1.5L
Drove Sydney to Sunshine Coast and got 12.2L/100 with the car loaded and a suitcase on the roof rack. Not going slow either, average highway speed would have been around 117 through NSW.
Best of all I didn’t have to back off the loud peddle once due to EGT’s, and they only went over 420deg 5x.
Gone heavier oil, 15/40 for the engine.
The mouse plague inland was impressive to see at night, definitely provided something to keep you awake as they came flying out the back of the road trains.
So much more low down torque with the FMIC, highly recommend it as a mod!