Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

In initial stages of planning a trip from Broome to Darwin next year via the Gibb River Rd. :D My thoughts at this time would be to drive Perth to Broome on my own (2200kms over two days), pick up the missus and kids from the Broome airport, and then take 3 weeks to get to Darwin. Then get the car freighted back to Perth from Darwin while we fly home. Why? Getting back from darwin is about 4000kms, so four days of solid hard driving (by my standards anyway), fuel alone would cost about $1200 and we have much more frequent flyer points than annual leave available.

Can anyone help with advice and costs on getting the car freighted from Darwin to Perth? Specifically, am I better off putting the car on a train or a truck? Can you book rail frieght direct or do you have to go through a carrier like Patricks? With regards to camping/recovery/engels/gear in the back; will the carriers carry it and insure it and if not, how do I get my gear back?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
For what little it is worth I was in the freight game in Darwin for a while before the Railway was built.

Darwin - Perth by road is a crap route for Car Transport as they are both offload Ports so the vast majority of Car Carriers go down the Stuart from Darwin or North from Perth and die out at Port Hedland so you get a bit of a missing link between Katherine and Port Hedland.

I would guess the best plan of attack would be to get a rail quote for Darwin - Adelaide - Perth and see if any of the Car Transporters are cheaper.

Not many Car Carriers will allow anything other than the "bare" vehicle and those that do will charge you heaps extra. I think the going rate will be $1250 to $1500 (what it used to be when I was there plus 10% guesstimate) and expect maybe another $500 if you have a car full of gear as a surcharge if you find someone who will truck it.

Rail... dunno, ring Patricks and get a quote is prob best bet but again the "gear in the Car" might be an issue.

Great trip... good luck with the planning

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
the evil twin said:
Not many Car Carriers will allow anything other than the "bare" vehicle and those that do will charge you heaps extra.
I think this has been a common issue Australia wide when people try and freight cars to the start/finish of a trip.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. i have seen some general freight crowds - Bunbury Freightlines springs to mind - where you can get a 'box' from them , fill it with your gear and they will frieght it to and from in whetever trailers they have being moved. we used to use Shaws for our darwin stuff when i was in the general hire game - i will give them a try.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Shaws eh... I used to deal with them and NTFS (Wheres my urgent Freight?... Dunno, It'll be here Next Tuesday For Sure).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts