Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
TD42 conversion done with blood, sweat and beers
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi legends,

As stated in the thread title, my dash backlighting, speedo, tacho, and temp gauge are not working. However all of the warning lights and high beam indicator light work. The problem has me stumped, I have searched and searched here but haven't found an answer yet. It is in a 2000 GU1 ZD30Di I have converted to TD42.

The most common causes I found (from the experience of others) seem to be as below- I have checked all these and found no fault.

1. Dimmer switch - I have checked the dash lighting dimmer switch, I have power in/power out
2. Fuses, particularly fuse 28 (Meter) - I have checked ALL fuses I could find, in the cab and under the bonnet, they all appear to be OK
3. Tail lights/reverse lights out, indicating a blown fuse- my tail lights/reverse lights, head lights etc. are working as they should

During the conversion, I did pick apart the loom from the ECU into the engine bay and remove all of the wires that were redundant, but I kept all of the earth wires. There were two plugs on the steering column that weren't connected to anything, and I removed those as well. I have re-checked all of the wires I removed, using the ECU pinout diagram, and confirmed everything I need is still intact. I haven't checked the wiring for the plugs on the steering column yet but from memory they just went back to the ECU so their removal shouldn't affect anything??

One other factor I am considering is that when I was connecting the alternator, I forgot to disconnect the battery (I am only human) and I arced it out onto something, blowing the 100A main fuse (the bolt-in one). That has been replaced and the vehicle now runs and starts fine, I just don't have the gauges/lights as above.

I just noticed last night also that the backlighting for the fan cluster might not be working either. Is this relevant?

Any help much appreciated, I am pulling my hair out over this one (what's left of it ha ha)

Cheers

Knuckles

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
I recommend checking your tail lights wire, just had the issue with mine taking out dash lighting from which my clock never recovered :(
On my 2000 td42 its the blue wire with pink and black marks.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Had exactly that problem in my Gq. Was a common problem with the tail light. Kept blowing fuses. Checked the tail light wiring and there was intermittent shorting due to insulation wear.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I recommend checking your tail lights wire, just had the issue with mine taking out dash lighting from which my clock never recovered :(
On my 2000 td42 its the blue wire with pink and black marks.
Hey Werley,
Do you mean the one running along under the carpet from the dash all the way to the boot (it's in a wagon)? I can check it, but the fuse hasn't blown so I didn't think that would be the problem... All the lights still work just not the dash lights.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,814 Posts
Had exactly that problem in my Gq. Was a common problem with the tail light. Kept blowing fuses. Checked the tail light wiring and there was intermittent shorting due to insulation wear.
Good point, I could very well be wrong, there are threads on it, but I seem to remember something about a tail light globe being out could effect it as well? Might be worth a search.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point, I could very well be wrong, there are threads on it, but I seem to remember something about a tail light globe being out could effect it as well? Might be worth a search.
I'll check the globe tonight but I have a gut feeling it's more than that, maybe one of them bolt-in fuses or something. I'll post again to let y'all know

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Hey Werley,
Do you mean the one running along under the carpet from the dash all the way to the boot (it's in a wagon)? I can check it, but the fuse hasn't blown so I didn't think that would be the problem... All the lights still work just not the dash lights.
Yep coming from the fuse box all the way. In my case the wire had actually shed its insulation and was shorting out etc.

·
Registered
nissan
2,185 Posts
1. Dimmer switch - I have checked the dash lighting dimmer switch, I have power in/power out
2. Fuses, particularly fuse 28 (Meter) - I have checked ALL fuses I could find, in the cab and under the bonnet, they all appear to be OK
3. Tail lights/reverse lights out, indicating a blown fuse- my tail lights/reverse lights, head lights etc. are working as they should
You might have 2 problems.

1. The dash light dimmer switch works on the earth side of the dash lights. Having power in two wires indicates the dimmer switch might be faulty. Try joining the Pink wire to the Black wire. If the switch is faulty the dash lights should come on at full brightness.

2.The gauge problem does sound like fuse 28 is blown. Just to confirm the alternator warning light and the oil pressure warning light in the dash are working?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1. The dash light dimmer switch works on the earth side of the dash lights. Having power in two wires indicates the dimmer switch might be faulty. Try joining the Pink wire to the Black wire. If the switch is faulty the dash lights should come on at full brightness.

2.The gauge problem does sound like fuse 28 is blown. Just to confirm the alternator warning light and the oil pressure warning light in the dash are working?
Cheers Yendor, I will check this out tomorrow and post back here

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ok so I checked this,

1) joining pink wire to black wire gives no result/no dash lights. On a side note, joining black to blue/black makes sparks ha ha!
2) alternator warning light (I assume this is the one that looks like a battery) and the oil pressure warning light are functioning.

I just noticed this morning that the speedo IS actually working- either I was wrong before or it is an intermittent fault.
Still no tacho, temp gauge or back lighting though.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,814 Posts
Ok so I checked this,

1) joining pink wire to black wire gives no result/no dash lights. On a side note, joining black to blue/black makes sparks ha ha!
2) alternator warning light (I assume this is the one that looks like a battery) and the oil pressure warning light are functioning.

I just noticed this morning that the speedo IS actually working- either I was wrong before or it is an intermittent fault.
I had similar intermittent faults with my DI years ago and it was a bad earth effecting instrumentation and nothing else, took me months to track it down, mine was in an earth behind the drivers side kick panel. Not sure if your model has the same setup.

·
Registered
nissan
2,185 Posts
Ok so I checked this,

Yeah no good can come from joining the Blue/Black wire to Black lol.

I think you might need to remove the instrument cluster and check the connections of the back of it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had similar intermittent faults with my DI years ago and it was a bad earth effecting instrumentation and nothing else, took me months to track it down, mine was in an earth behind the drivers side kick panel. Not sure if your model has the same setup.
Cheers Gu2 i’ll Have a look

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah no good can come from joining the Blue/Black wire to Black lol.

I think you might need to remove the instrument cluster and check the connections of the back of it.
Bugger was hoping not to have to do that lol. I’ll have a look

·
Registered
nissan patrol
40 Posts
Ok so I checked this,

Have you checked that the dash globes are not blown?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you checked that the dash globes are not blown?
Hey Redline,
Not yet, had a go at getting the cluster out yesterday but it would have required more work than I had time for... bloody airbags lol. I will have another go over this weekend

·
Registered
nissan
2,185 Posts
Adjust the steering wheel so it’s at its lowest and furtherest position out. Remove the covers from around the steering column and then undo the 3x 13mm nuts that hold the steering column up. This will allow the whole steering wheel and column to lower down. You shouldn’t need to remove the steering wheel or airbag.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Adjust the steering wheel so it’s at its lowest and furtherest position out. Remove the covers from around the steering column and then undo the 3x 13mm nuts that hold the steering column up. This will allow the whole steering wheel and column to lower down. You shouldn’t need to remove the steering wheel or airbag.
Hey Yendor,

So today I have removed the dash cluster, disconnected the ECU and unwrapped and checked the wiring, and checked fuses again. No joy.

I swapped all the relays above the interior fuse panel around, the top (brown) one (that’s the ECU one I believe) was different to all the others but I found one the same in the relay panel under the bonnet. That didn’t bring me any joy either.

Interior fuses and relays:
7EE2752E-211D-4EAB-BA5C-87729033463E.jpeg

Under bonnet relays (I used the one for the aircon, marked with a black dot):
E8F38D99-FA92-4836-83CC-7BEC08E63055.jpeg

The dash cluster I was able to get out by following your advice, although mine only had 2 x 12mm nuts holding the column up. All the connections looked fine, there was a mystery blue wire attached but I suspect this was for an aftermarket cruise control which is no longer there?

DADDD4E7-6104-4BF9-BBA3-8231E7FC2C6D.jpeg

All the light bulbs appear to be ok.

I had a look at the wiring diagram in the service manual, but I can’t read it... any ideas on what I should be looking at next? I’m stumped. I spent all day working on the principle that if I could solve the lack of dash backlighting the tacho and temp gauge would sort themselves out... but no luck at all.

·
Registered
nissan
2,185 Posts
Check the inputs for the dash lights. Follow the printed circuit board from the dash board lights and find the wire in the corresponding connector. The positive feed from the light switch should be a Black/Blue trace coloured wire and the negative should be a Pink wire. Same wires that run down to the dash light dimmer switch. I take it now you have the instrument cluster out you have checked if the bulbs are blown?

Something else to try is run a temporary earth from the negative battery terminal and connect it to the black wire on back of the dash light dimmer switch. I don't think this will be your problem as you said you got sparks when connecting the wrong wire previously but it's worth a try.

Do you know if the gauges and lights were working before the conversion? Did they work at all after the conversion? What unit did you use to wire the Tacho?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check the inputs for the dash lights. Follow the printed circuit board from the dash board lights and find the wire in the corresponding connector. The positive feed from the light switch should be a Black/Blue trace coloured wire and the negative should be a Pink wire. Same wires that run down to the dash light dimmer switch. I take it now you have the instrument cluster out you have checked if the bulbs are blown?

Something else to try is run a temporary earth from the negative battery terminal and connect it to the black wire on back of the dash light dimmer switch. I don't think this will be your problem as you said you got sparks when connecting the wrong wire previously but it's worth a try.

Do you know if the gauges and lights were working before the conversion? Did they work at all after the conversion? What unit did you use to wire the Tacho?
Hey mate,

I had to put it all back together so I could go to work but I'll have another go next week on my break. in answer to the above,

1) Ok will follow circuit board to lights, if I connect a 12V and earth to those terminals on the circuit board is that a safe way to check if the light/circuit is working? Bulbs did not appear to be blown.

2) Will try a temporary earth to dimmer switch.

3) Yes, gauges and lights were all working before the conversion. The only ones that didn't work after the conversion were the back lighting, tacho and temp gauge. I have the SGI-8E for the tacho but haven't been able to get any signal at all to the gauge, even before I wired it in.

My mind keeps coming back to the plugs I removed from under the steering column, and that by cutting the wires to them that may have had something to do with it. I am pretty sure they connected to the three plugs on the dash side, that plug into the three plugs from the loom side, that normally sit on the bracket above the CPU (see pic below). On these three plugs (dash side) I now have a total of three black wires I have cut off. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it at present but I can get them in a week.

Do you have any idea what the plugs I removed, that were under the steering column, would have been for?

loom1.jpg SGI-8E.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts