Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, recently ran new wires for my barn door speakers, put everything back together and my dash lights aswell as the centre heater lights have stopped working. When I started the car right after I put everything back together I went to turn them on they flicked on about 10 seconds late, they have since been working occasionally but then I turn my headlights off and back on and once again not working. I pulled everything I had apart out from when I ran the wires to make sure I didn’t miss anything and all seemed fine.
Could anyone help me with this, is driving me nuts not being able to see the speedo at night.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Hi guys, recently ran new wires for my barn door speakers, put everything back together and my dash lights aswell as the centre heater lights have stopped working. When I started the car right after I put everything back together I went to turn them on they flicked on about 10 seconds late, they have since been working occasionally but then I turn my headlights off and back on and once again not working. I pulled everything I had apart out from when I ran the wires to make sure I didn’t miss anything and all seemed fine.
Could anyone help me with this, is driving me nuts not being able to see the speedo at night.
Gday mate have you had trouble with your indicator stalk before?
Im thinking maybe that is faulty the parker light action you know that first click is not contacting?
Do headlights still work?
Very easy to take indicator stalk off and in the back of it there is a white plastic dust cover with little plastic locking tabs, gently take that rear cover off you will see 4 or 5 bits of copper thin flat that move when you turn headlighs on or high beams.
Underneatth there are little raised bits that contact with each one of those thin flat bits. The ends of those contacts get dirty coroded or like heat damaged then they dont contact propley.
You need to gently hold up the springy flat thin copper bits (dont lift too much otherwise you will bend the wrong way) and clean both points of contact with a flathead screwdriver.
Hope that makes sense will see if i can put a picture of a spare i have in the shed at some point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gday mate have you had trouble with your indicator stalk before?
Im thinking maybe that is faulty the parker light action you know that first click is not contacting?
Do headlights still work?
Very easy to take indicator stalk off and in the back of it there is a white plastic dust cover with little plastic locking tabs, gently take that rear cover off you will see 4 or 5 bits of copper thin flat that move when you turn headlighs on or high beams.
Underneatth there are little raised bits that contact with each one of those thin flat bits. The ends of those contacts get dirty coroded or like heat damaged then they dont contact propley.
You need to gently hold up the springy flat thin copper bits (dont lift too much otherwise you will bend the wrong way) and clean both points of contact with a flathead screwdriver.
Hope that makes sense will see if i can put a picture of a spare i have in the shed at some point.
Hey mate, I have had issues with the indicator not properly engaging when trying to select. Don’t know wether this could have caused the issue but as you have said I’ll take it apart tomorrow and make sure everything is in good shape.
Thanks for your reply, I’ll let you know how I go.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Hey mate, I have had issues with the indicator not properly engaging when trying to select. Don’t know wether this could have caused the issue but as you have said I’ll take it apart tomorrow and make sure everything is in good shape.
Thanks for your reply, I’ll let you know how I go.
Yep thats definitely them flat thin copper bits not contacting on the underside eaay fix just be gentle as its abit fiddly.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,302 Posts
When the dash lights stop working, do the tail lights also stop working, including the number plate light?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,302 Posts
Yeah mate just noticed they do
Well the problem can’t be with the connector at the dash light dimmer switch then

Did you make sure you didn’t catch the wiring to the number plate light when fitting the speaker to the small barn door? If this wiring is okay, check the connectors that go to the headlight switch make sure they are still fitted snugly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the problem can’t be with the connector at the dash light dimmer switch then

Did you make sure you didn’t catch the wiring to the number plate light when fitting the speaker to the small barn door? If this wiring is okay, check the connectors that go to the headlight switch make sure they are still fitted snugly.
There’s a good possibility I coulda damaged the wiring, will check that on the weekend. Thanks mate

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Yeah mate just noticed they do
Gday mate sorry took so long with the pictures. If you look at your indicator stalk once you have the back plastic removed you will see what i was telling you about yesterday. The center copper flat is the one that engages the parker lights start gently lifting with the screwdriver like in the pics and clean both sides with another flat head screwdriver.
Hope that makes sense.
Problem isnt the dimmer switch im pretty sure its from this indicator stalk.
Keep me posted mate.
20210610_182256.jpg
20210610_182132.jpg
20210610_181825.jpg
20210610_181759.jpg
20210610_181728.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gday mate sorry took so long with the pictures. If you look at your indicator stalk once you have the back plastic removed you will see what i was telling you about yesterday. The center copper flat is the one that engages the parker lights start gently lifting with the screwdriver like in the pics and clean both sides with another flat head screwdriver.
Hope that makes sense.
Keep me posted mate. View attachment 532419 View attachment 532420 View attachment 532421 View attachment 532422 View attachment 532423
Thanks mate, was going to take it apart after work but did not have time as we had cut up all the trees that fell after last night. Seems to be a fairly simple fix. I’ll have a geez either tomorrow or on Saturday. Cheers

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Thanks mate, was going to take it apart after work but did not have time as we had cut up all the trees that fell after last night. Seems to be a fairly simple fix. I’ll have a geez either tomorrow or on Saturday. Cheers
No worries mate good luck

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,302 Posts
That other thing to mention is, there is a black wire with a pink trace at the head unit, a lot of people think this an earth, it's actually a dash light feed, has power when the dash lights are turned on. If this is connected to the head unit or shorted to ground it will normally blow the fuse. Might also be worth checking this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope that makes sense.
Keep me posted mate. View attachment 532419 View attachment 532420 View attachment 532421 View attachment 532422 View attachment 532423
So I’ve taken it apart just now, given them a clean and they seem to be working just fine now! Was driving me mad not being able to see what speed I’m doing on the way to work or late at night.
Thanks for the help fellas much appreciated

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
So I’ve taken it apart just now, given them a clean and they seem to be working just fine now! Was driving me mad not being able to see what speed I’m doing on the way to work or late at night.
Thanks for the help fellas much appreciated
Great to hear mate happy to be of assistance!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts