Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Boost and EGT gauge and a pillar pod to mount them in. I have had a quick look at the dash it looks pretty well in place.

Can any one give me a quick run down on what screws etc I will need to remove so I can get access run the wires and sensors for the gauges. I have a manual bit it is pretty vauge.

2000 3lt DX.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Ive never fitted a pillar pod to a GU, but don't think you should have to remove any of the dash ?

Just remove the original pillar shroud and you should have enough space to run wires/hose through the now visible hole.

Remove the grab handle, then pull the rubber weather seal down from the pillar,you should now be able to carefully pry off the old shroud.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
You may end up removing some of the dash. I am in the middle of doing this job as well with an Autron pod. For the electrics I want it to dim with the dash lights, so it is not very bright and staring you in the face at night. To pick up the elec feed I looked at the best place, and to me this is behind the dimmer itself as far as I could see. I read a few of the other threads on this and found out it was not that hard to get into. The biggest obstacle was the steering wheel. However, I undid the two bolts under the steering and it dropped down, this allowed the dash come out enough to get behind it, I got the instructions for getting the dash free from the manual as well. There very well could be an easier way to hook into the dimmer circuit, but it was the way I went. Biggest problem I have had so far is the boost line. There is no room to put an elbow in the inside back of the pod, so I drilled a hole through the back and then one just above where the pod fits back into the bottom of the pillar. As I am using 4.2mm hose the hole was pretty small and I painted the tube to match the pillar. Now waiting on the paint to dry on the pillar pod itself before fitting it back together again. Use the search function, there is a lot on this on this site.

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thansk for the replys guys, I did a heap of searching but didnt find anything specifically on installing the pod. The instructions I got with mine, from Extreme Offroad, says to remove the handle and then install the pod over the existing pillar shroud. From your advice I will remove it now and hopefully it should be an easy install.

I would like to wire it into my dimmer light but I dont have one! Going for the cig lighter instead I think.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
I undid the two bolts under the steering and it dropped down, this allowed the dash come out enough to get behind it, I got the instructions for getting the dash free from the manual as well. There very well could be an easier way to hook into the dimmer circuit
What model patrol do you have, the dimmer switch on my GU (located below the drivers A/C vent) is dead easy to just pop out with a blade screwdriver, exposing the wires behind, no dash or steering removal needed.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
What model patrol do you have, the dimmer switch on my GU (located below the drivers A/C vent) is dead easy to just pop out with a blade screwdriver, exposing the wires behind, no dash or steering removal needed.
Mine is the same place, however I did mentioned there is probably an easier way to go about it with regard to the pick up off the dimmer, but not when you are replacing the dash lights to blue at the same time.........

jobs done ,looks great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts