Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought myself a little side project about a month ago a Datsun 200b wagon that i will slowly be bringing up to its former glory, just wondering if anyone knows anything about them? I kind of bought online when I had a few to many beers, and am learning about doing my own body work and realised I know nothing about carburettors...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
Yes looks like 1.5" SU's, but another company many years ago brought out a product that looked very similar and worked on the tapered needle principle.
Would love a dollar for every one of those I tuned in the 60's and 70's

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,659 Posts
They look a bit different to the Su's that I had on my Anglia. :unsure:

Would sooner have a 180B because they used to run rings around the 200. 🙂

When you get it tuned, make sure that the person doing it, knows wtf he's doing!

Foo

Reactions: trev zd30

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,603 Posts
I worked for a carburetor workshop in the 80's and they were great to rebuild not a lot of parts but a bugger to tune this bit of info may help. Hitachi also built carburettors based on the SU design which were used on the Datsun 240Z, Datsun 260Z and other Datsun Cars. While these appear the same, only their needles are interchangeable.

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh where can I check what type they are? They are probably going in the bin for some Webber’s anyway.....

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,369 Posts
SU’s are good.

Reactions: Foo

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,603 Posts
SU carburettors were supplied in several throat sizes in both Imperial (inch) and metric (millimetre) measurement.

The carburettor identification is made by letter prefix which indicates the float type:

"H": introduced in 1937 in which the float bowl has an arm cast into its base, which mounts to the bottom of the carburetor with a hollow bolt or banjo fitting. Fuel passes through the arm into the carburetor body. The bolt attaches to the carburetor body just behind the main jet assembly. "HD": introduced in 1954 with the float bowl mounted with its arm fastening directly below, and concentric with, the main jet. The arm has a flange that fastens with 4 screws to the bottom of the carburetor, and sealed with a rubber diaphragm integral with the main jet. "HS": introduced in 1958 the float bowl can be rigidly or rubber mounted to the main body, fuel is transferred by an external flexible pipe to the jet. The jet moves down to richen the mixture for cold starting,when the 'choke' linkage is pulled. "HIF": (1972) the float bowl is horizontal and integral (hence the name) Horizontal Integral Float. Example:[20] 1972-1974 MGB. "HV" (1929), "OM" and "KIF" types also exist but were less commonly employed.[21]
The Imperial sizes include 1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 1-3/4", 1-7/8", and 2", although not every type (H, HD, HS, HIF) was offered in every size.

There were also H models made in 2-1/4" and 2-1/2", now obsolete. Special purpose-built carburetors (Norman) were made as large as 3".

To determine the throat size from the serial number: If the final number (after one, two or three letters, beginning with H) has 1 digit, multiply this number by 1/8", then add 1". For example, if the serial number is HS6, the final number is 6: 6/8 = 3/4", add 1, total is 1-3/4", etc.

If the final number has 2 digits, it is the throat size in mm. For example, if the serial number is HIF38, the final number is 38, size is 38 mm etc.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,603 Posts
Looks like the type you have will have the fuel bowl on the bottom it should have the name and size in the fuel bowl casting.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
Oh where can I check what type they are? They are probably going in the bin for some Webber’s anyway.....
Good idea, twin 42 or 45DCOE's (depending on state of tune you wish to go to) would work bloody marvelous if you can get or fabricate a manifold. Webers are the closest thing you will get to fuel injection in just a carburettor, so many variables you can tune to and for. Have run DCOE and IDA on some of my old performance vehicles.

If you have the head room a 48IDA would be great, I bored a 48 out to 52 for a rotary in the old days.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,369 Posts
When I saw this thread start, I knew it would bring out the best in all the older engine tuners, the ones who knew how to get the best out of a motor without ‘chipping’ it. 👍

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts
Weber carburetors 45 DCOE twin | eBay , so a bit of a rookie with carbs.... are these a good buy, the guys description is pretty vague
Hard to pick from a small picture, I would spend a bit of time searching, I'm sure there are manifolds out there somewhere but you may need to fabricate one, not sure about the 'inlet funnel' description, they are Ram Tubes, lol.

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw them too, they are definitely a viable option, I might sell the current su carbs to recoup the cost, the car already that’s extractors and a 2inch Lukey exhaust it sound pretty awesome

1 - 20 of 60 Posts