Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I thought i'd put up my ute, It will be used primarily as a race car due to the modified nature of the vehicle.

The ute is powered by a fuel injected 5 litre with the GQ 5 speed gearbox.

It has GQ diffs with ARB airlockers, however a pair of GU diffs have been procured but are currently in the floods in Brisbane so I'm stinging ti get them up. The wider diff, bigger brakes and substantial CV's are the reason I chose these.

The electrics are standard 12volt with a separate 24 volt system with two batteries in the tray charged via a juicy 24v alternator.

F.A.T winch bar hold the Warn high mount with two 6hp motors, 24v, and RDH4x4 AirFreespool, widened drum and 60m of dyneema.

Inside is pretty bare with no fans or blowers of any kind, just guages, switch controls and a Garmin 3006c in front of the Navigator to find our way. The obligatory roll cage is another RDH4x4 option with a tight 4 point cage. Race seats and 4 point harness straps the crew in.

A tight tube tray, covers the 24v batteries and 156l fuel tank which has been relocated forward for CofG. The tray carries tool boxes, compressors breathers, spare tyres and a bunch of other bits and pieces.

Suspension is a basic 4 inch soft springs, EFS Extreme shocks combination. The springs are held in by coil drop out cones and spring retainers. Not a big flex monster but goes hard and pretty stable at speed.

I love Treps. 37 inch Maxxis Trepadores with Walker Evans beadlocked rims gets more traction than anything else around. Without these one would already be at a disadvantage at an event.

I picked this vehicle up with alot of the modification carried out by the previous owners, whom had the race car direction in mind when carrying out these mod's which is pretty handy for me.

Ther is still a lot of work to do to it to clean it up and prepare it for such events as the Winch Truck Challenge, which we will concentrate on this year as this will be my first season racing. This way I will not tend to bite off more than I can chew, and put my energy into the one series.

This is it still waiting for the gear for race prep.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Coupe utility

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, they are tough, the wheel/tyre combo is possibly the best mod, pound for pound so to speak, compared to any thing else.

I believe a car with the treps on and no lockers would do better than a locked car with average tyres. Hands down.

The walkers just make it even better with the ability to run 10/12psi front and 8psi rear all day

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May I also add,

Many, Many thanks to RGM maintenance Townsville.

And Opposite Lock Townsville.

There are a couple more that helped out heaps but I'll hold off for now.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,092 Posts
nice looking ute mate! good luck with the comps!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks brother,

I endevour to post results, comp reports and trips on this thread so keep in touch,

If you have any questions or anything like that please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards
Dave.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
503 Posts
love the rig man how u find the lift hight wise

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mate,

It is very similar to my last couple of 4wds,

I do plan, hoever, to lower it.

It has a 4 or 5 inch spring lift with 2 inch body lift now, and I would like to run a 2-3 inch lift with coilovers and hyd bumpstops shortly.

It is fairly stable now but it would benefit from a height reduction in some high speed stages.

A mere guard trim will clear the 37's no problems.

Cheers
Dave

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
and I would like to run a 2-3 inch lift with coilovers and hyd bumpstops shortly.
I can't wait to see this set up, that is my dream set up 3 inch+37s= Low cog with great diff clearnance!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, technically it will be 4 or 5 inch with the body lift, but yeah should be pretty stable.

Sim you can look at it but not allowed to touch it. HaHaHa

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ ute
362 Posts
love the tray mate, mine will eventually look a bit like your but a road going version, not so much cut off the back and no bars down to the back. awesome lookin rig but eh.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks mate,

The tray came off the Madica Racing GQ extra cab so it is nice and short and suits the chassis chop nicely.

Not much room to put stuff but! Just a couple of storage boxes to hold all our equipment. At least nobody asks me to help them move.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey mate,

I purchased the vehicle as a V8, I had heard about the car and knew some people that had worked on it and knew it was done correctly.

The previous owner/s had spent a fair amount of time on the vehicle with the intention of perhaps racing it. little things like captive engine mounts and complianced roll cage were the main reason to purchase the vehicle as it was always going to be a comp truck nce I got it.

I was planning on a build up when I found this vehicle for sale, so I grabbed it.

·
Banned
nissan
36 Posts
Massive fan of your truck mate,
I'm running the same suspension setup. Nice and low but without the 37" maxxis. :sad: but looking into the superior engineering long arm kit to finish it all off.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks mate,

I like the idea of the long arm kit, but I believe i'll be getting an A-frame set up in the rear so I'll do it all at the same time.

Stability is the major reason, like I said it's not a massive flex machine and I'd embarrass myself if I took some poser shots but it does handle everything fairly well.

The car will outdrive me, as so far as it will handle the situations I am prepared to put it in.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Massive fan of your truck mate,
I'm running the same suspension setup. Nice and low but without the 37" maxxis. :sad: but looking into the superior engineering long arm kit to finish it all off.

Yours isn't too bad either mate, hey.

Does that have a efi 5l in it too?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
What's been going on Dave? Any comps or new mods? There are comps 30min from my place, nearly every month, I am going to start entering.

Reactions: Gilly2013
1 - 20 of 70 Posts