Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys been on this forum awhile an just pick up a 2005 guiv today i am very happy with it i was browsing through members cars and noticed all the 3.0lt diesel have a dawes and needle kit fitted i am have a pritty good idea of what this does but unsure of how to get my hands on one if anyone can help me on that i would really like to install one on my car or evan some points and tips would be good thanks heaps

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,510 Posts
I think most people on here are using these TDi Boost Controller as well as these Stage 2 Multi-Boost Control System ( i am anyway ) Cheers.
Yes TuffGU, that's exactly what I have in mine, manually switched from high to low with high as default. Just got hold of a genuine style switch and fitted it in one of the many vacant positions there are in the cab. Darren will have it all out to you in a few weeks normally.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
94 Posts
Sorry to hijack but when you guys use the above 2 stage
Controller do use have dual or single Dawes valve fitted.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,510 Posts
Sorry to hijack but when you guys use the above 2 stage
Controller do use have dual or single Dawes valve fitted.
Have a look in my Dawes album and you will see a very simple schematic for single or 2 stage dawes, that is the easiest way to explain it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
570 Posts
You'll need 2 dawes valves to work with a 2 stage controller, each one set to your 2 different boost levels.

The attached pic is one of Chaz's diagrams that he posted in one of my older threads, Anything dawes related, Chaz is the guru to speak to, although there are plenty of other forum members who can help.

Find someone who lives nearby that's done the mod, offer up some beer and before you know it you'll be all set up.

Attachments

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
You'll need 2 dawes valves to work with a 2 stage controller, each one set to your 2 different boost levels.

The attached pic is one of Chaz's diagrams that he posted in one of my older threads, Anything dawes related, Chaz is the guru to speak to, although there are plenty of other forum members who can help.

Find someone who lives nearby that's done the mod, offer up some beer and before you know it you'll be all set up.
Or if you are like me and hate spending money, you can have the simple single valve set up and when you are cruising and want better economy, you tweek the valve half a turn (thats all it is on mine) and you have a lower boost setting when on the flats cruising. I have my valved handy under the steering column and its no problem for me. I can see the difference on the boost guage, and notice the egt climb up 60 odd degrees. But I gain about 1.5lt/100 with lower boost when cruising unloaded. I find the thing needs tweeking periodically anyway....cheers.

·
Registered
nissan partol gu 2
56 Posts
I gain about 1.5lt/100 with lower boost when cruising unloaded. I find the thing needs tweeking periodically anyway....cheers.
I seem to be the opposite... If I set at 9psi instead of 6ish at highway cruise I get better economy. Egts do rise a little when lowering obviously, but nothing to worry about. I always figured if your injecting the same amount of fuel and using the turbo for a bit more boost (as it is variable vane), it's less work / lug the motor has to do.

I also realize that you need more fuel to get more boost, but I think this may be false until the vanes in the turbo are at "full boost" mode already... (correct me if I'm wrong)

So this is my theory as to why I get better economy at a slightly higher boost level

I'm also cautious about shoving higher boost levels up it all the time, so I tend to turn her down for a while until the egts start harassing.. 7-8psi seems to be the sweet spot for me.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thanks for all the input guys has heped me heaps i might just do what mick c said offer up some beer anyone who lives in my area that wouldnt mind coming over and halping me out would be awesome but il keep u guys posted i live in morayfield qld

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
I new to the forum but been reading for a while now and have absolutely no mechanical knowledge.... always keen to learn though.

Just to continue with this thread. I have purchased 2 x TDi Controllers and a 2 stage system (as above) from 3 bar racing. Looking at their installation diagrams it states you can use one or two boost controllers. If using one then the low boost is the car default boost setting. Is it wise for me to install just one boost controller (high setting) and use the default boost (tube from solenoid to wastegate to no boost controller added) for low setting.
Mods I will be fitting to my 2004 GU 3ltr TD Patrol are a chipit chip and a 3" exhaust.
Thanks in advance and hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
mmmm. I think I have just found my answer. Thanks google. Thought I had read everything but obviously not or not deeply enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts