Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after having my Dawes valve sit in the cupboard for close to a year now I am getting ready to install it on my series IV Auto, I have a boost gauge and Pyro and recently got my hands on an EGR blocking plate. My boost gauge comes off the manifold NOT the intercooler, my drama is knowing what exactly to do and what "extra" parts I will need before I start this project I have ordered a needle valve kit off Dependable Distributors and that should arrive soon.

So in total I will have:

Dawes Valve
1/8th Tee piece
50cm Length of 1/8th vacum hose
200cm Length of 1/8th vacum hose
Needle Valve with lock nut for dash install
2x 1/8th BSPT to 1/8th hose straight hose tails
2x 90 degree 1/8th male/female elbows

My AutoMeter gauge uses nylon piping with 1/8th NPT fittings, so I assume I will need to get an adaptor to make the Dawes Vacum line fit.

Am I best off just installing the valve first and getting that right and then block the EGR or do it all together. I have the standard exhaust and intercooler with plans next year on getting an exhaust. Have searched but can't find a dummy guide on "How-to" already have Chaz's web page saved, it's my daily drive so I don't want to stuff it up but have read of a few problems when doing this mod on a series IV from not having a Vacum reservoir so maybe different tubing (Small stronger walled)was the solution.

Any help would be great, going to Fraser island in May so tossing up if I should start it now or wait till I get back and then play around with it then.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
You will need a lot more tubing if you want to cabin mount the needle valve. 5m - 6m.
1 more t piece is needed for the pressure connection to the dawes valve from where you have tapped the boost gauge.

You are welcome to check mine out if you like. Its easy to work out once you see one in person.

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
just for sake of curiosity , are you getting any overboosting issue's at all ?? is thats why you installing , i

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No overboost my gauge is lucky to see 15 psi I usually drive around at about 7-9 psi and getting anywhere from 12-14 L/100 am interested in the Dawes for the smooth boost curve it should yeild plus I figure I can remove it if it isn't what I think it should be.

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know in south Brisbane the best place to get more boost tubing/vacuum hose from, have seen silicone hose on eBay for $8 a meter.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts
If you are going to fit the needle valve inside the car, consider using some of the black hard plastic tubing that VDO boost and oil pressure gauges use to go through the firewall. The vacuum tubing slips nicely over the plastic tubing and this will eliminate the chance of the tubing kinking or squashing and causing problems.

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks skegbudley I shall drop in there tomorrow and I may take you up on coming around and having a look at your setup, is yours a series IV by chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts