Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol y61 3000 2007 3doors
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi.
Both tillix and dawes have the same working principle.
I sent emails to 3B racing and he didn't reply.
So I sent email to tillix he asked immediately he advised me and he is always available.
Then I'm happy with the kit I talk about my experience I'm not interested in advertising.
regards
Tanks archem!
I send an e mail to tillix and they told me that for a few weeks they couldn’t send nothing for export...
Do you remember how much you spent for the complete kit with shipping?
Cause I have seen that the complete kit with ic adapter costs 215 Australian dollar...it should be approximated 130€
Plus shipping do you confirm that?
There is also a good explanation how to install the kit and the possible issues ..
Geeyoutoo i attach the tutorial maybe helps
Cheers
Tanks for replay

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gr gr y61 3.0 Di 2001
25 Posts
Hi
Yes, the complete kit TILLIX costs $ 215 ASD, the shipping with Express 5 business days is $ 54 aud.

Kit and ever since installing it my boost has been perfect, no boost bouncing, full manual control and also keeping my power input nice and steady.
The support from Lindsay has been absolutely excellent, always answering questions and always willing to help and give advice.
The product is Australian and I like to buy Australian because of the great hospitality they have given me in this forum.
Regard
Antonello

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tanks archem!
We will see in a few weeks what happens...so I have moooooore time to Decide which one and read Moore in the archives...in the mean time I have to do much things on my two zd30...
Regards

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tanks archem!
We will see in a few weeks what happens...so I have moooooore time to Decide which one and read Moore in the archives...in the mean time I have to do much things on my two zd30...
Regards
Good luck
Slow

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@geeyoutoo i have a question for you:
Why do you think my terrano of the 2002 with 320k go faster than the patrol?
Also boost is Moore stronger and I have seen that control modules are from hitachi...maybe the weight? And the bigger tyres ?275 one

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,361 Posts
@geeyoutoo i have a question for you:
Why do you think my terrano of the 2002 with 320k go faster than the patrol?
Also boost is Moore stronger and I have seen that control modules are from hitachi...maybe the weight? And the bigger tyres ?275 one
Mate there are so many things that can influence this it is hard to give an exact reason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes off course...
The boost on the terrano never goes over 12 psi but you feel the kick..
But I will see when I fix the needle valve and a boost gauge on the troll.
Tanks
Tonight before sleeping I’ve read the archives about Dawes...and thinking about the limp mode that happened when adjust them:
If you take out the boost sensor on the ic?(maybe I’m wrong)
Newer more limp...in theory...
In practice you will blow the engine?lol

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,361 Posts
I know that disconnecting the MAP on my 2000 does not cause any problems, this changed on later models but not sure exactly what year, maybe mid 2002, but remember that even on later models most limp is caused by MAF feedback not MAP.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know that disconnecting the MAP on my 2000 does not cause any problems, this changed on later models but not sure exactly what year, maybe mid 2002, but remember that even on later models most limp is caused by MAF feedback not MAP.
Si I didn’t think wrong...
IV read about a custom maf I didn’t remember the name..
Tanks
There are so much things to know about our troll...
Cheers

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,361 Posts
I would not touch anything other than a geniune MAF, seen to many non genuine fail and I mean lots.

Yes many of us have been playing with these things for a long time, I've owned mine since new in 2000 and been through the grenade in 2006, then spent years delving deep into it to understand why and how.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would not touch anything other than a geniune MAF, seen to many non genuine fail and I mean lots.

Yes many of us have been playing with these things for a long time, I've owned mine since new in 2000 and been through the grenade in 2006, then spent years delving deep into it to understand why and how.
No I wouldn’t touch nothing before I didn’t know exactly how it works
I only changed the original maf with a aftermarket one...no difference whit boost,acceleration ...I haven’t got the EGT sensor...
The only thing that I noticed was my faulty IC replaced with a new one welded and not crimped but nothing to do against the torque of the other zd30
Cheers

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,361 Posts
You may have misunderstood what I meant, I would only use genuine MAFs. I have seen to many non genuine fail.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
296 Posts
I think you'll be really happy with the difference made by either a Dawes or Tillix. Same principal, different manufacturer. Both are quality.

Personally I bought the tillix kit, because it included an EGR blank, a MAP sensor adaptor for my boost gauge, boost hoses, clamps etc. Everything you need. Most importantly, it included a Needle Valve. Not sure if the dawes kit does or not? Worth getting either way.

Dawes/Tillix valve controls max boost and prevents boost spikes/bouncing.
Needle valve controls boost spool up speed. Earlier spool gives greater low down response, but may cause limp. Easy to test and adjust until you find the "sweet spot".

Enjoy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think you'll be really happy with the difference made by either a Dawes or Tillix. Same principal, different manufacturer. Both are quality.

Personally I bought the tillix kit, because it included an EGR blank, a MAP sensor adaptor for my boost gauge, boost hoses, clamps etc. Everything you need. Most importantly, it included a Needle Valve. Not sure if the dawes kit does or not? Worth getting either way.

Dawes/Tillix valve controls max boost and prevents boost spikes/bouncing.
Needle valve controls boost spool up speed. Earlier spool gives greater low down response, but may cause limp. Easy to test and adjust until you find the "sweet spot".

Enjoy
Tank mate
I’ve seen that tillix give you all you need to fix it maybe they give us something Moore (egr plate)
And boost sensor adapter...
Not difficult to do but if it’s already done you don’t loose any time...
Tanks for your experience
Cheers

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
524 Posts
Hello Neighbours from Italy,

I suggest you read the many posts I have written about our turbo, MAF, and the Dawes-Needle.

Our turbo is V N T which means VARIABLE. The issue with both TILLIX-NEEDLE or DAWES-NEEDLE arrangements is that they maintain the vanes fully closed up until the Tillix or Dawes opens. As a result, you have to open a bit more more the vanes, using the unique needle, to find what some call 'the sweet point', and you convert your magnificent VNT turbo into a two-state turbo ( vanes closed, or vanes opened ).

In addition, this allows for back pressure to build-up until the opening of the Tillix/Dawes, which is not what you want.
All what matters is airflow, not boost. See my thread on the subject. But since it was not invented here, you may still find some who will continue to disagree with what others would call 'demonstrated facts'.

There are far better ways to manage the turbo, including with valves. Many Patrol owners are now enjoying a better driving experiece with Tillix or dawes + 2 needles, or even just two needles. This allows for , a smooth and continuous opening of the turbo vanes, with a better spool-up. No need to compromise. None have experienced high EGTs. All the opposite.

Food for thoughts.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I suggest you read the many posts I have written about our turbo, MAF, and the Dawes-Needle.

Our turbo is V N T which means VARIABLE. The issue with both TILLIX-NEEDLE or DAWES-NEEDLE arrangements is that they maintain the vanes fully closed up until the Tillix or Dawes opens. As a result, you have to open a bit more more the vanes, using the unique needle, to find what some call 'the sweet point', and you convert your magnificent VNT turbo into a two-state turbo ( vanes closed, or vanes opened ).

In addition, this allows for back pressure to build-up until the opening of the Tillix/Dawes, which is not what you want.
All what matters is airflow, not boost. See my thread on the subject. But since it was not invented here, you may still find some who will continue to disagree with what others would call 'demonstrated facts'.

There are far better ways to manage the turbo, including with valves. Many Patrol owners are now enjoying a better driving experiece with Tillix or dawes + 2 needles, or even just two needles. This allows for , a smooth and continuous opening of the turbo vanes, with a better spool-up. No need to compromise. None have experienced high EGTs. All the opposite.

Food for thoughts.
Hi neighbor
At what pressure does the Tillix valve regulate.
You set the maximum turbo pressure with the needle valve

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Food for thoughts.
Food for thoughts ,you’re right neighbor
I will read your posts
Maybe my thoughts going limp...
Tanks
I’ve got lots of questions about this but before asking I have to read...and wait until Australian export opens to get one kit tillix or Dawes
Cheers

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
524 Posts
With the one dawes (or Tillix) arrangement, the Needle sets the maximum vanes closure, and therefore the spool-up. ( the intiial point at which the turbo more or less starts to spin ). If set too agressively, the boost may start too fast go to the roof. But the real 'boost limiter' is the dawes (or Tillix).

On a VNT turbo, once the turbo spins fast enough, you have to start opening the vanes more or less progressively with RPM and load.
The Dawes or Tilix decides at which pressure the vanes open ( ex : 1,10 or 1.15 bar )
Up until it opens, the vanes stay closed at the level set by the Needle ALL the time( !) Not good.

As far as limp is concerned, and unless you have too high a boost for too long, it comes from the ECU controlling the MAF value. Read also on the subject. You can stay below the limp values by setting the valves properly. And if need be, if you canno't access REMAP, either decrease a bit the MAF voltage with diode, or, better, set-up a MAF modifier taking RPM into account and making sure the MAF voltage stays below the limp mode values at all times.

Many have now tried the two needles arrangement, and are VERY happy with it. Two 5$ chinese needle valves do the job. However, the 3bar racing Needles are of much better quality.

Have a good reading, and do not hesitate to come back to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With the one dawes (or Tillix) arrangement, the Needle sets the maximum vanes closure, and therefore the spool-up. ( the intiial point at which the turbo more or less starts to spin ). If set too agressively, the boost may start too fast go to the roof. But the real 'boost limiter' is the dawes (or Tillix).

On a VNT turbo, once the turbo spins fast enough, you have to start opening the vanes more or less progressively with RPM and load.
The Dawes or Tilix decides at which pressure the vanes open ( ex : 1,10 or 1.15 bar )
Up until it opens, the vanes stay closed at the level set by the Needle ALL the time( !) Not good.

As far as limp is concerned, and unless you have too high a boost for too long, it comes from the ECU controlling the MAF value. Read also on the subject. You can stay below the limp values by setting the valves properly. And if need be, if you canno't access REMAP, either decrease a bit the MAF voltage with diode, or, better, set-up a MAF modifier taking RPM into account and making sure the MAF voltage stays below the limp mode values at all times.

Many have now tried the two needles arrangement, and are VERY happy with it. Two 5$ chinese needle valves do the job. However, the 3bar racing Needles are of much better quality.

Have a good reading, and do not hesitate to come back to me.
@Phdv61
Dear Phil, thanks for your availability.
I understand the working principle of your mod.
How much is the maximum boost you have with this mod.
Regards
Anto

21 - 40 of 49 Posts