Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me with what size charger I need to run three batteries, with so many on the market I have no idea what to get. Also, can I link a deep cycle and a normal battery together and run as one. Thanks

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
i use a redarc bcdc1240 40 amp for my 3 batterys

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Tony and you can mix different type of batteries without any problems, just make sure the charging voltage of the battery with the lowest maximum voltage tolerance.

There are a number of options for charging a bank of batteries.

Can you give us some more details about the size of your batteries and the vehicle you will be charging them from?

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tony and you can mix different type of batteries without any problems, just make sure the charging voltage of the battery with the lowest maximum voltage tolerance.

There are a number of options for charging a bank of batteries.

Can you give us some more details about the size of your batteries and the vehicle you will be charging them from?
Sorry for late reply but here is the info you were after
Start battery Bond N70zz 680 crank amp, res cap 160, amp hrs 85
2nd battery Century deep cycle N70t AH85
3rd battery R+J 730cca 160 min reserve
Car is a 1991 Mav wagon petrol these batt will only need to run a old Engel fridge and some led lights for a weekend at present I don't get 24hrs without having to run the car

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Tony and I suspect your problem is the size of your alternator ( if it’s the original alternator ).

The voltage will be fine as it will run at 14+v, but that will only be when all your batteries are nearly fully charged.

DO NOT fit any form of DC/DC device because they draw more current in than they supply to the battery being charged and as your alternator is probably being over worked ( won’t harm it ) already, the additional load of a DC/DC device would actually make it near impossible for you to charge any of your batteries.

It’s been a long time since I worked on anything around that model, so if you can, see if you can get the exact specs for your alternator.

From around that ira, I suspect it will be either a 55 or 75 - 80 amp amp alternator, and if so, it is way too small for what you are trying to do.

If you have low batteries, you need to drive for at least 8 to 10 hours ( or more ) to get that amount of battery capacity up to around 90 to 95%.

So if you have a small alternator, it would be advantageous to see if you can fit a larger capacity alternator.

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks drivesafe for your reply, yes it is only the standard alt you have given me food for thought as I had not considered a bigger alt. If I was to get the bigger alt as you say will this charge the batteries to full capacity as I thought alt don't manage to charge to full capacity.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi again Tony, check the size of your alternator first, while I’m pretty sure your alternator is a small capacity alt, before you spend any money on anything yet, find out what the exact capacity is.

If you do have a small capacity alternator, and decide to get a larger one, you only need to check the operating voltage of a new alternator and if it operates at 14.0v or higher, which it should, you do not need any form of DC/DC device.

Contrary to the deliberately misleading advertising hype used to sell DC/DC devices, alternators can fully charge batteries, any type of battery, and they have been doing so for decades, long before DC/DC devices can along.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Tony and while that size alternator could recharge the number of batteries you have if they were low but as above, it would take a lot of day time driving, and forget driving at night and trying to recharge low batteries.

As you suggested, see what is available in the way of a larger alternator as this would be the best improvement you could do and would probably be the only one you need to do, to get all that battery capacity charged from a low state in a reasonable amount of driving time.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Always good when Drivesafe chimes in on an electrical topic, thanks mate! :)

Reactions: drivesafe

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Always good when Drivesafe chimes in on an electrical topic, thanks mate! :)
You obviously haven't seen the mayhem this fella has caused on other forums with his anti dc-dc rubbish. Usually works in tandem with Leigh W. and only seems to appear when this subject comes up.

I think he is just a little bit neurotic. LOL

·
Registered
742 Posts
You obviously haven't seen the mayhem this fella has caused on other forums with his anti dc-dc rubbish.
Always like to see blatant one sided opinions being deemed as the ONLY way to do things, but as usual, you have it wrong.

I have never been anti DC/DC devices, I have been VERY vocal at pointing out how deliberately deceptive the advertising is, that is used to con prospective unsuspecting customers into buying DC/DC devices.

Also as I have pointed out, I sell DC/DC devices, but I only offer them to people who will get a genuine advantage by using a DC/DC device over other forms of charging.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi again Tony, Cooper’s suggestion is of a second alternator is worth considering.

If it is easy enough to do on your Maverick ( and I have no idea ), it has some advantages.

First off, you could go to a wreckers and get the same alternator you have, so if the original failed, you have a built-in replacement.

VW use to fit a second alternator and battery, to some of it’s European Kombi.

These were use by Police, Military and the UN.

The second alternator was wired up as a completely separate system, with a second battery, for power radios and any additional electrics that were needed, with out having to use any power from the main alternator.

In your case, you could leave the standard Maverick wiring as is and use the second alternator to charge your auxiliary/house batteries.

There is the additional saving in that you would not need any form of isolator as the systems would be permanently separated anyway.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Tony, just a suggestion, before you do anything else, check out the size of the cable ( wire ) running between the alternator and the cranking.

Most makes of vehicles pre 2000, had fairly thin alternator to battery cables.

If you decide to fit a larger alternator, you will need to increase the size of this cable anyway, so this could possible help your system you have if you increase the cable size now.

Don’t forget to check and if needed, increase the size of any earth cabling as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts