Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right my big girl is 355k old, never had the diffs rebuilt/checked etc. Never done ' hardcore' off road but lots of beach work and a general don't give a fark attitude towards what happens to it regarding treatment. Oil has been changed at 320k odd.
I've never had problems on the beach with getting stuck even when dragging my jayco hawk up some stupid soft sand for km's on end (IMO if ya get stuck on the beach you need to take a good hard look at your self!)

So anyway today we got rained out, went to a mates place to weld up my water/meth water box and parked on his front lawn. Went it was time to leave I couldn't believe it, I got stuck.... So an uphill incline of like 5deg was enough to stop the big girl! I was only single spinning on the most greasy grass in the world. I would have thought both tyres would have turned being so slippery!? I had zero forward/back movement and had to go 4wd to get out. 42psi didn't help but geez what a crack up it was, all the toyo boys won't let me live that one down...

Has my above normal power prematurely wore out my lsd? Or what is the rough working life span? I'm swapping out to 4.1 soon so I may get the old man to rebuild em and shim them up.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
"(IMO if ya get stuck on the beach you need to take a good hard look at your self!)"

Hmm, so to not get stuck on a beach, you lower your tyre pressures to 15 or less.

But to not get stuck on grass, you go the other way by increasing your pressures????????? To get off the grass in 2wd you should have dropped the pressure also.

A LSD will deliver drive to the wheel of least resistance just like an open diff, but tempered more. Given your mileage, your LSD may be a bit worn in the plates. It will still be better than a new Toyo pretend LSD, though.

To get back at your Toyo mates, grab a little bottle jack and lift one rear side of a Toyo off the ground just a bit and have a laugh.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,309 Posts
The biggest issue to wear out diffs is not changing the oil every 12 months. I have learnt this the hard way. Dirty oil with some metal (from wear) in it soon kills bearing, seals etc etc.

Nothing to do with power output.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"(IMO if ya get stuck on the beach you need to take a good hard look at your self!)"

Hmm, so to not get stuck on a beach, you lower your tyre pressures to 15 or less.

But to not get stuck on grass, you go the other way by increasing your pressures????????? To get off the grass in 2wd you should have dropped the pressure also.

A LSD will deliver drive to the wheel of least resistance just like an open diff, but tempered more. Given your mileage, your LSD may be a bit worn in the plates. It will still be better than a new Toyo pretend LSD, though.

To get back at your Toyo mates, grab a little bottle jack and lift one rear side of a Toyo off the ground just a bit and have a laugh.

Wtf?
I wasn't out for a wknd forbie on my mates front lawn.... Hence why my pressures were up!
I would have thought that both wheels would have spun considering how slippery it was!

I know toyo diffs are horse chit diffs, the boys just take any chance they can to harrass me, even though they all mostly drive 1hz na or turbo 1hz troopies:roll:

Just wasn't sure if power well above standard would prematurely wear out the shims?!
I might add some Nissan 'diff fix' on next oils change. And or do what I should do and get the old man to work his magic.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
I don't know if the diffs been apart on mine but it never behaves like a open center diff on loose or wet stuff it always spins both wheels if i give it some juice
As i see it any time the wheels are forced to spin at different speeds to each other its going to cause the LSD to slip and wear. One thats made to do lots of sharp low speed turning on hard surfaces will wear its clutch pack out faster than one that doesn't see the same conditions.

355k its no spring chicken maybe its time to throw i shim in to take up some of that wear

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm cool. Looks like it's shin time when we swap the ratios over :)
Can't go having a single spinner, come to think of it I have noticed it doesn't kick out as bad when playing silly buggers when the roads are wet!

·
Registered
739 Posts
does its chirp when making tight turns on asphalt?

Put a bottle of engine cleaner in the rear diff and drive 1000km inc some slow speed figure 8's in the car park. Drop the oil and fill with new clean stuff. LSD might have just glazed up.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah there's no chirping going on! Without going to much into it, my truck is as heavy as your average family heading away for the wknd day in day out! 3.4 tonne ish.
So drop a little oil, top up with engine cleaner drive for 2 weeks, dump oil then refill. Sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
Nah there's no chirping going on! Without going to much into it, my truck is as heavy as your average family heading away for the wknd day in day out! 3.4 tonne ish.
So drop a little oil, top up with engine cleaner drive for 2 weeks, dump oil then refill. Sounds like a plan.

And Then CHANGE the oil every 12 months.!!!!!...And use a good quality LS oil too...in straight 140..or 85/140
There is nothing like a good maintenance regime to keep things working as they should.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't the service for rear diffs every 40-60k or something?!

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
Isn't the service for rear diffs every 40-60k or something?!
I am not sure ..possibly is according to manual...but LSD really thrive on good quality clean oil...so I change mine out at about 25-30000 K...and the oil is showing signs of "going off..Ie ...getting dirty at that age even.

HTH.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well could just be over due for a service. I remember last time I did the oil it was rather brown. Not like the golden liquid when new.
Still might wack in some engine cleaner as tempest suggested then do a full oil dump and re fill.
Stay tuned

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
And Then CHANGE the oil every 12 months.!!!!!...And use a good quality LS oil too...in straight 140..or 85/140
There is nothing like a good maintenance regime to keep things working as they should.

Cheers Keith
Why not LSX90 ?

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Why not LSX90 ?
Nissan says to use a straight 140 viscosity gear oil with friction modifier and since castrol dosnt make a straight 140 they recommend their LSX85w-140 for the rear diff not LSX90. Sure the 90 might work but i doubt its best choice in the long term.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Yes very strange, so i put my tinfoil hat on and decided its to help funnel money towards nissan by reducing its service life

1 - 20 of 28 Posts