Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

well, after a fun filled night run on friday, and losing my brakes. i have now found that the problem was the front pass caliper, somehow, it dropped a brake pad, and then the caliper pressed against the rotor and fubar'd it. so, not i have to replace both front rotors and pads (no biggie) but, i figured i'll also de-grease and re-grease my wheel bearings while im at it. so, i just plop the wheel bearings into the degreaser i brought from repco, and start working it in with my hands. and afterwards, i read the bottle, and it says it contains sodium hydroxide (20ml/L) and its alkali based. and i read the destructions and they said corrosive and stuff. but my query is, will this damage my hands? i washed them shortly after having them in the solution and the felt like the soap was still there, but i kept washing them under water, and then dried them, and all seems fine. but im wondering,... will it be? or have i done summit to my skin? and also, am i able to leave my wheel bearings soaking in the stuff overnight, so that it can work its way through them and get into the grease? or do i have to take them out?

cheers

jbates58

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Nah, won't hurt to soak em over night, I'd use a brush and some gloves for prolonged use of degreaser tho, it's highly flamable and can't be good for the skin, it will dry your skin out also. I prefer kero for cleaning things like wheel bearings and with degreaser, you need to wash it off with water, not good for wheel bearings.
Wash them in kero, shake dry and then dry with rag or air gun and re pack with grease asap. cheers:punkrock:

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Degreaser will give you dermatitis if using for long periods
It dries your hands out very quickly also

After using degreaser for longish periods,i wash them well,then use sanitised hand cleaner ,then moisturiser (puts the moisture back in that the degreaser takes out,im not a girly)

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
I have dermatitis and psoriasis so i always use moisturiser on my hands after i do any work.
I usually wear gloves for most things too, rubber kitchen gloves for liquid (and grease) based work and leather gloves for most other things.
Helps keep the hands clean which inturn helps keep the natural body oils where they are meant to be - on my skin.
When you have dry and damaged skin, you really dont want dry and damaged hands.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
The concentration of NaOH in there would be too low to cause that much damage to the hands, the dermis is pretty thick. Get the stuff in mucous membranes like the eyes, then your in trouble. I would be more worried about eyes than hands. But if you have a predisposed skin condition like some of the guys here have then simply wear gloves.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
The concentration of NaOH in there would be too low to cause that much damage to the hands, the dermis is pretty thick. Get the stuff in mucous membranes like the eyes, then your in trouble. I would be more worried about eyes than hands. But if you have a predisposed skin condition like some of the guys here have then simply wear gloves.
X 2 , and don't inhale it in an enclosed space , does wonders for the membranes in the nose and eyes

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
The NaOH will react with the oils in your hands and produce soap for all intents and purposes but in the process it removes oil from your hands and will dry them out.

I would not worry too much but as other have said don't make a habit of it. I have to deal with highly concentrated NaOH for work and if you get that on your hands you wash with water but will feel very slippery and thats the NaOH reacting with the oils in your hand making a slippery soap.

Cheers

Justin

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Nitrile gloves - not latex. Same reason you can't use vaso on your jimmy!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Cant use VASO on your JIMMY !!!!!!!
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

What about Petroleum Jelly ???

Maybe some "Deep Heat" ???

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Vaso = petroleum jelly!

Deep heat? Well now... THAT would make things really HEAT up in the bedroom!
HAHAHAHAHAAAHHHAAAHAHAHA

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Deep heat? Well now... THAT would make things really HEAT up in the bedroom!
HAHAHAHAHAAAHHHAAAHAHAHA
I've seen a couple of examples of that is the ED and its not pretty. After a few drinks, in the dark....be careful what you reach under the bed for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts