Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Interesting must be petty V6 at least it'll bring the price down a bit but not much

·
Registered
429 Posts
Having done an engine conversion years ago in a hi lux, went to V6, I would be keen to see a V6 in a patrol as long as its diesel which from the video I doubt it is. The compact size and the apparent power benefits they say a V configuration gives over an in line engine makes sense.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
134 Posts
Please Mr Nissan give the Y61 followers what they want. A four pot oily banger with as much pulling power as a ford laser in sandy brown. You tell Mr Nissan right now he can stick his more fuel efficient petrol motors with triple the ponies right where the sun don't shine. Viva les diesel......

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr
920 Posts
I dont think that it is the end of y61, may be y61 can get vq40de and get lower price too.

Nissan is the largest maker of the V6 engines in the world and in USA are many of those engines ready to export (xterras, pathfinders and frontier have vq40de)

Im almost sure It is a vq40de, excellent, modern, lighter and bullet proof engine, nice news.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Hmmm just as Merc and Audi move away from V6s to straight 6s like BMW due to vibration and turbo optimization issues. Look for a straight six in the next Merc E class

Btw the video didn't say if it was a petrol or diesel V6...

Nissan is the largest maker of the V6 engines in the world and in USA are many of those engines ready to export (xterras, pathfinders and frontier have vq40de)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Will a V6 improve the Y62 sales in Oz? Price drop from 60K with the V8 to say 50K with V6? Better economy?

I know lots of people are happy with their Y62s and that is great but if Nissan want to really boost their SUV sales they need a slightly smaller vehicle with a decent up to date turbo diesel and turbo petrol.

·
Registered
A45 AMG, Ranger :(
1,163 Posts
I don't think it will help sales in Australia.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think that it is the end of y61, may be y61 can get vq40de and get lower price too.

Im almost sure It is a vq40de, excellent, modern, lighter and bullet proof engine, nice news.

But the VQ40de is way weaker than the cuurent TB48de 4.8 found in the current Y61.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
The problem is that he car weighs 2.7t. So any v6 petrol with insufficient power will struggle and probably use just as much fuel.

Case in point, the disco 3 which was more fuel efficient on the 4.4l v8 than the 4.0 v6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I honestly do not see how a V6 with natural aspiration can haul this 2.7 tonne vehicle. If we consider the VQ40de in its current 261hp & 381nm torque, if Nissan could succeed in improving this engine with Direct Injection (the norm with all engines nowadays) and VVEL technology, at best it would reach 300hp 'ish.

Still totally unnecessary and way underpowered for a vehicle for that size and weight. Driving around in my 2015 Y61 LWB with its 4.8 (280hp and 480nm in Gulf spec) I still feel that is underpowered when compared to newer 4x4's due its heavy weight at 2.45 tonnes.

Nissan ought to learn from Toyota and their 4.6 V8 engine powering the LC 200, with its direct Injection it makes about 305hp, and it is 1000cc less in displacement than its Nissan Counterpart 5.6 VK56DE which produces a mere 317hp for its huge displacement. Nissan developed that latter engine with Direct Injection and VVEL calling it the VK56VD and now it produces 400hp.

·
Registered
Nissan Y62 2013
179 Posts
I don't see how a V6 is going to be better except making this huge car available to more people at a more reasonable price to just boost sales for Nissan, with the 5.6L V8 giving 317hp it's a good ride, so the V6 will struggle to move.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Interesting.
I wonder if the testing in the Middle East (UAE) is just that - testing. There's hardly a market for a V6 petrol version here.
LE Sales (400HP) vastly outweigh SE (320HP) sales already. Who is going to want a less capable V6 version.
Are we sure that it's not a diesel engine?
The Y62 was originally tested here, so why wouldn't a diesel version also be tested here?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Could it be a turbo v6 petty?! That would have more than enough poke!
What other v6 diesels are there that nissan could steel that would get the big girl moving?
Either way I'd take a high output v8 over a high output turbo v6 and even if it is a diesel it would want to be something special to get me even remotely interested!
Interested to see the outcome!
Also a bit baffled why nissan thought to release a pi$$ weak 300hp version of the 5.6 to the rest of the world, that would have stunk the place up here in oz more than it already has. That's one thing people can not complain about here is the power of the beast!!

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
The current v8 can be bought at a way under valued 60k, if they release a v6 petrol you will be lucky to get that for 60k and you will have no chance of getting the v8 for that price anymore.

I think people have had a bad taste left In there mouth from experiences with petrol 4x4's of the past, this engine seems to be far superior to current diesel's on offer when you consider total ownership costs.

$60k for heaps of silky smooth petrol power averaging an absolutely shocking 14.5L/PH or $90k for about the same amount of filthy diesel power averaging an amazing 10.3L/PH, also don't forget to add in the cost of the often mandatory $30k service for low compression when you get up around the 100,000klm mark.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
The Y61 will live for a few years yet, we are at the bottom of the food chain as we have been indirectly told by nissan many times. The Y61 still sells here so why should they stop it? Nissan have a relatively small market here adding more to the range raises costs and possibly erodes existing models.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts