Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Happy new year to all. :D

Well I learnt a valuable lesson today with the scissor gear........... If your only replacing the IP then a 6mm drill bit inserted into the hole works fine BUT if your removing the gear then you must lock it with a bolt, m6 x 1mm to be precise.
There is 3 layers to this gear and if one isn't under tension and lined up it WILL NOT go back into place.
I pulled my scissor gear apart to see how it functioned then made up 2 tools to allow me to tension and line the hole up the place a bolt into in keeping all together.

In this photo you'l see main gear on the left the the spring then the scissor gear all held in place by the cir-clip
Both side are the same but in opposite directions, while apart I took the opportunity to clean and re-grease it.

I cut up the old backing plate to make the tools

I sacrificed a cheap screwdriver with a similar OD to the ID of the holes on the scissor gear then inserted them with an interference fit into the steel plates I had cut out. The 2 steel dowels are 90mm apart to the centre.

Lock this together allowed me to assemble and time the gears.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,369 Posts
Happy new year to all. :D

Well I learnt a valuable lesson today with the scissor gear........... If your only replacing the IP then a 6mm drill bit inserted into the hole works fine BUT if your removing the gear then you must lock it with a bolt, m6 x 1mm to be precise.
There is 3 layers to this gear and if one isn't under tension and lined up it WILL NOT go back into place.
I pulled my scissor gear apart to see how it functioned then made up 2 tools to allow me to tension and line the hole up the place a bolt into in keeping all together.

In this photo you'l see main gear on the left the the spring then the out scissor gear all held in place by the cir-clip
Both side are the same but in opposite directions, while apart I took the opportunity to clean and re-grease it.
View attachment 515040

View attachment 515042

View attachment 515043

I cut up the old backing plate to make the tools
View attachment 515044

I sacrificed a cheap screwdriver with a similar OD to the ID of the holes on the scissor gear then inserted them with an interference fit into the steel plates I had cut out. The 2 steel dowels are 90mm apart to the centre.
View attachment 515045

View attachment 515046

View attachment 515047

Lock this together allowed me to assemble and time the gears.
View attachment 515048

View attachment 515049
That's why I always recommend using the 6 x 20mm bolt. Can't go wrong and everything sligns up as it should without the need to lever it to get everything to libe up. Also it removes the possibility of damaging the 6mm thread and stopping the use of a 6mm bolt at a later date. Something which has occurred in the past.
Nice bit of engineering making up the rig to re tension and align it again. I like it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
That's why I always recommend using the 6 x 20mm bolt. Can't go wrong and everything sligns up as it should without the need to lever it to get everything to libe up. Also it removes the possibility of damaging the 6mm thread and stopping the use of a 6mm bolt at a later date. Something which has occurred in the past.
Nice bit of engineering making up the rig to re tension and align it again. I like it.

Thanks 😊
It's all I could think of using what I already had.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,884 Posts
That’s a pretty engine. Almost looks like it should be chromed and entered into shows. Damn good job and attention to detail. 👍

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
137 Posts
NIce job jake ,looks sweet

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,279 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
311 Posts
Just another thing regarding the head bolt tensioning.
I don't know if you are going stock head bolts or ARP head studs but it's completely different steps to tension Arp head studs. I wasn't convinced they get torqued down enough at first but mines held up.... This time!
Arp studs only go to 125nm in 2-3 stages

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Just another thing regarding the head bolt tensioning.
I don't know if you are going stock head bolts or ARP head studs but it's completely different steps to tension Arp head studs. I wasn't convinced they get torqued down enough at first but mines held up.... This time!
Arp studs only go to 125nm in 2-3 stages

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks but I’m staying with the factory head studs.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
A little more progress this weekend.

I started with the oil pump making sure all screws and bolts were clean very clean. Placed copious amounts of assembly lube in the pump then assembled the lot using thredlocker and torquing to spec. Knowing that people have had trouble in the past I payed particular attention to this bit.

I fitted the oil cooler / filter housing, heads, timing gear cover, cams and timing chain.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Quick thanks to @skegbudley for the recommendation to talk to RLC Engine Reconditioning. They hooked me up with the valve lifters I needed.

I did a quick spread sheet up to keep track of what I measured and what I need. Red is outside 0.35mm clearance and blue is new shim required.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,369 Posts
Quick thanks to @skegbudley for the recommendation to talk to RLC Engine Reconditioning. They hooked me up with the valve lifters I needed.

View attachment 515481

I did a quick spread sheet up to keep track of what I measured and what I need. Red is outside 0.35mm clearance and blue is new shim required.

View attachment 515480
No problem mate. They have been doing my engine machining for over 30 years and have always looked after me.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Finished the valve clearances this arvo. Something I learnt was to rotate the crank a few times and have the cams operate the valves over a number of rotations. This has everything settle in and the most accurate measurement can be obtained. Once I had all the clearances at 0.35mm the whole gear assembly and cams became extremely quiet and smooth.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Some more information for anyone replacing the solid bucket valve lifters for a bucket and shim arrangement. You subtract 3mm from the measurement on the solid bucket shim and this gives you the shim size required. For example I had a sold bucket that had stamped 560 (5.60mm) the corresponding shim had stamped 260 (2.60mm), I repeated this many time with a few different sizes while taking clearance measurements.

·
Registered
2016 CRD wagon
999 Posts
I'll bet you have a whole new appreciation for this motor now Jake. You're getting to know it intimately.
Good work. Your attention to detail is inspiring 🙂

·
Super Moderator
nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I'll bet you have a whole new appreciation for this motor now Jake. You're getting to know it intimately.
Good work. Your attention to detail is inspiring 🙂
Thanks, I hope that with my attention to detail that it all works as it should. I've never fully rebuild a motor before only some top ends and hydraulic lifter replacements.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts