Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Looks like it shouldn't be long until its back on the road..
Yeah, I just have to purchase HF injectors, HD flex plate some coolant sensors and engine mounts. It’s a lot of cash all at once so I’m spacing the purchases out a bit to ease the pain. Also have to get a tune with and ecu remap and that’s also quite expensive 😬

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The budgetary restrictions haven't stopped me from reconditioning other parts and fitting what I have.

I've fitted the turbo and oil line, oil pressure switches and the intake manifold.

I have also finished the throttle body.

The following is a comparison between the IP lines before reconditioning and after.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #105

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I've been thinking about this thread. I'll be cleaning up any posts not directly related to the rebuild and I'll be renaming the thread to "Diagnosing and Rebuilding 2003 ZD30DI". These changes will be taking place over the next few days.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Received a nice little present in the mail today. 4 +50% injectors from Diesel Central.

I fitted them, the rocker cover and IP lines to the injectors.

Not long now, I'm waiting for the new engine mounts and HD flex plate.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,229 Posts
Just in case. Before you start it, open the banjo on the pump from the filter line and pump the primer until fuel shows at the banjo, close that and do the same for the return line banjo, then what I did was remove the Glow Plugs and crank until mist appeared through the holes, refitted GP's and she started second kick.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Just in case. Before you start it, open the banjo on the pump from the filter line and pump the primer until fuel shows at the banjo, close that and do the same for the return line banjo, then what I did was remove the Glow Plugs and crank until mist appeared through the holes, refitted GP's and she started second kick.
Excellent info Ross, I'll definitely do that. Thanks 😊

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I was making some brackets up today out of scrap 6mm angle and mounted them to the factory lift points on the head and I'm just not satisfied that the factory bolt locations are adequate to do the job. What is everyone's experience when lifting these motors using the factory lift points or have people lifted them from a different location?

Front lifting point.

Rear lifting point. Needs more work to the bracket, the holes are to close to the edge.

·
Registered
nissan
493 Posts
I was making some brackets up today out of scrap 6mm angle and mounted them to the factory lift points on the head and I'm just not satisfied that the factory bolt locations are adequate to do the job. What is everyone's experience when lifting these motors using the factory lift points or have people lifted them from a different location?

Front lifting point.
View attachment 516225

Rear lifting point. Needs more work to the bracket, the holes are to close to the edge.
View attachment 516227

Hi Jakewild,

the factory lifting points are more than adequate, i just removed my engine and reinstalled over xmas and they were fine.

i copied the factory lifting mounts from the image in the manual.

those brackets you have made are way too long and for the rear bracket, the shackle needs to be at least in line with the two bolts, better still forward a little.

That rear bracket will hit your fire wall before you get the motor and gearbox together

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hi Jakewild,

the factory lifting points are more than adequate, i just removed my engine and reinstalled over xmas and they were fine.

i copied the factory lifting mounts from the image in the manual.

those brackets you have made are way too long and for the rear bracket, the shackle needs to be at least in line with the two bolts, better still forward a little.

That rear bracket will hit your fire wall before you get the motor and gearbox together
Thanks, I had suspected that was the case with the rear bracket but didn’t put to much effort into it until I was sure I was going to use that lifting point. I’ll try to make something that resembles the factor lifting bracket to clear everything in the engine bay and firewall.

·
Registered
nissan
493 Posts
Thanks, I had suspected that was the case with the rear bracket but didn’t put to much effort into it until I was sure I was going to use that lifting point. I’ll try to make something that resembles the factor lifting bracket to clear everything in the engine bay and firewall.
These are the two i made, worked really well but the back was a little close to the fire wall, but worked.

Like i said move the big hole forwards on the rear bracket and cut a little more metal off would have been better.

I used a chain to link the two and lifting from the center on the chain the engine was nice and level.
lift bracket.jpg

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
These are the two i made, worked really well but the back was a little close to the fire wall, but worked.

Like i said move the big hole forwards on the rear bracket and cut a little more metal off would have been better.

I used a chain to link the two and lifting from the center on the chain the engine was nice and level. View attachment 516239

I fixed the rear bracket today, like you suggested I moved the big hole for the D shackle forward of the two smaller mounting holes and shaped the bracket so it didn't protrude past the back of the head and I shortened it significantly.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I received a few more goodies today, HD flex plate and new engine mounts.

I also picked up a monster 3/4 inch torque wrench that can do up to 420nm for the crank pulley nut. For a size comparison I place my 2 "normal" size torque wrenches next to it.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Managed to mount the backing plate and flex plate this afternoon and readied the engine crane and engine to fit back in the car on the weekend.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts