Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,420 Posts
I learn't a valuable lesson today. The studs in the head that fasten the heater pipes are tapped all the way through to the coolant gallery so I had a slow leak from the 2 studs. I disassembled the heater piping removed the studs cleaned all the threads, both in the head and the studs then applied Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket to seal it all off.
Rookie mistake

View attachment 516562
Lol. Easy to miss that. Aviation form a gasket is great stuff. Have gone through many many bottles over the years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,010 Posts
I learn't a valuable lesson today. The studs in the head that fasten the heater pipes are tapped all the way through to the coolant gallery so I had a slow leak from the 2 studs. I disassembled the heater piping removed the studs cleaned all the threads, both in the head and the studs then applied Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket to seal it all off.
Rookie mistake 🤪

View attachment 516562
Haha, who would've guessed??!!

Seriously though, job well done. How sweet was the sound of it ticking over in the garage?🥳

You'll be excited every time you drive it now after getting to know it so intimately and with the couple of performance mods

·
Super Moderator
nissan
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Lol. Easy to miss that. Aviation form a gasket is great stuff. Have gone through many many bottles over the years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah I love the stuff.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Haha, who would've guessed??!!

Seriously though, job well done. How sweet was the sound of it ticking over in the garage?🥳

You'll be excited every time you drive it now after getting to know it so intimately and with the couple of performance mods
Thanks Trev. I can’t wait to put some serious k’s on it.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Rookie mistake 🤪

View attachment 516562
After letting it cure for 24 hours I filled the coolant up again and again it leaked :(
So I'm thinking that I'll remove the nut and stud and fit a bolt with a sealant. The thought is that the coolant cannot travel along the thread and out the head of bolt.

@geeyoutoo & @skegbudley what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Is it actually leaking along the thread and out the end of the nut?

I didn't seal mine at all, I put some aviation stuff on the gasket only around the hole, and not anywhere near the studs.

I will have to check!!!

·
Super Moderator
nissan
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Is it actually leaking along the thread and out the end of the nut?

I didn't seal mine at all, I put some aviation stuff on the gasket only around the hole, and not anywhere near the studs.

I will have to check!!!
Yeah I was watching the fluid form then dribble down then drip onto the block.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Well I found the problem. I disassembled the heater pipes again today and while the studs were still in I gave them a wiggle and both had movement. The studs were supplied with the head so I grabbed a couple of M8 bolts then tried them in the head and same thing. I tried an m10 and it was far too big. My conclusion is the hole was drilled slightly oversized and then tapped.
I'm not about to remove the head just for this problem so after a bit of research found it was common across different manufactures of engines and for people to use high temp RTV to seal leaking bolts the enter the coolant channels. I had to removed the gasket anyway so I cleaned all surfaces and bolts and threads then assembled it using the high temp RTV with extreme caution not to restrict the flow of coolant by getting it inside.

The bead of RTV in the picture is only about a 1mm, its just a close up shot.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
322 Posts
Well I found the problem. I disassembled the heater pipes again today and while the studs were still in I gave them a wiggle and both had movement. The studs were supplied with the head so I grabbed a couple of M8 bolts then tried them in the head and same thing. I tried an m10 and it was far too big. My conclusion is the hole was drilled slightly oversized and then tapped.
I'm not about to remove the head just for this problem so after a bit of research found it was common across different manufactures of engines and for people to use high temp RTV to seal leaking bolts the enter the coolant channels. I had to removed the gasket anyway so I cleaned all surfaces and bolts and threads then assembled it using the high temp RTV with extreme caution not to restrict the flow of coolant by getting it inside.

The bead of RTV in the picture is only about a 1mm, its just a close up shot.

View attachment 516637
What brand head was it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

141 - 152 of 152 Posts