Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
That's fine, the actual Bosch spec is for 50-70% at idle when warm.
Did you ever fit a fuel cooler at all?
No never fitted a fuel cooler, I have all the bits for the bypass and was going to fit it in the coming weeks.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
No never fitted a fuel cooler, I have all the bits for the bypass and was going to fit it in the coming weeks.
Yes the bypass does make a difference but the cooler is the icing on the cake. So worth a thought, especially for up here (both written up in my build BTW).

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Drove up to the beautiful Montville from Landsborough on to Maleny then home via Woodford. We went on a great bush walk that lead us to some really nice waterfalls. We were even driving through the clouds at one stage. If anyone knows the area they know the long steep hills. One was labeled 900m and grade of 1 in 5, it was steep :oops: . managed another 200klms today and some temps I saw were max EGT's 500 degrees, water temp max 102 degrees and max trans temp of 120 degrees. I'm extremely happy with how the engine is performing and can't wait to get it all tuned up.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
Drove up to the beautiful Montville from Landsborough on to Maleny then home via Woodford. We went on a great bush walk that lead us to some really nice waterfalls. We were even driving through the clouds at one stage. If anyone knows the area they know the long steep hills. One was labeled 900m and grade of 1 in 5, it was steep :oops: . managed another 200klms today and some temps I saw were max EGT's 500 degrees, water temp max 102 degrees and max trans temp of 120 degrees. I'm extremely happy with how the engine is performing and can't wait to get it all tuned up.

View attachment 516819

View attachment 516820

View attachment 516822
I drove up to Maleny today via Monteville, we probably passed each other along the way.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I drove up to Maleny today via Monteville, we probably passed each other along the way.
Yeah I'm surprised we didn't see you. It really is a nice drive up there.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Finally clicked over 1000klms since the rebuild so she'll be getting a well deserved oil and filter change. I have felt the change as the engine has run in, more power, less blow by and better fuel economy(still not the best). I'm becoming more excited about the dyne tune the closer the time gets. :D

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Carried out the oil change today. After cutting open the oil filter I can see why they suggest 1000klm oil change. It shows me that even though I thought I was surgically clean it clearly wasn't.

I had a really good inspection of the oil and pan and I'm glad to see no particulates of any kind. The filter did it's job.

The 3 photos are from 3 different parts of the filter.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
Great work, I religiously cut the ends off and spread the filter medium out.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Great work, I religiously cut the ends off and spread the filter medium out.
I'll be doing the same from now on to keep an eye on things.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,062 Posts
I’ve been lead to believe that when running in a motor with the ‘running in’ oil, it picks up all the wearing in bits, not your cleanliness. You have brand new sharp rings that are scraping up and down, bearings that are not quite exact, this is the stuff that you pick up in the filter.
Disclamer: I’m not an engine builder.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
Yes, you can put an engine together in a dust proof room with the greatest of care and still find the odd bit of crap in the filter.

·
Registered
nissan
501 Posts
Is it actually leaking along the thread and out the end of the nut?

I didn't seal mine at all, I put some aviation stuff on the gasket only around the hole, and not anywhere near the studs.

I will have to check!!!
I had a look at mine and i can't see any evidence of leaks.

Mine is an Armada head
Guess who spoke way too soon.

Mine is leaking coolant here too, but appears to only leak when engine is cold.

I have added some sealwel to the coolant and will see how it goes

161 - 172 of 172 Posts