Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently read of the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel to lubricate the injectors and pump, I thought I would give it a try in my old beasty. This will be a running diary of how it all goes, for those interested.
First, some background on the old girl.
TD42 with aftermarket turbo fitted from new. Mack style alloy bar, standard suspension and 31's. No other major mods. She has not been particularly well looked after, even since I have owned her the last nearly two years,(thanks to me being made redundant a month after I bought her and spending the next year and a half out of work. Still trying to get my head back above water) She still goes like a freight train though, and I use her to run up and down the freeway to work evry day, as well as general running around. She is a bit hard to start when warm (have not beeen able to figure that one out yet?) I have noticed a small amount of smoke under power, only at night with another car's lights behind me. I am currently using about 11.55 litres/ 100 kms. That is with an eggshell under the throttle pedal and angel-ing down hills.(don't know if this is good or bad, but I try everything I can to keep the costs down) I cruise the freeway at 100k's as this saves me about $20 a week on fuel on it's own, as opposed to keeping up to the limit.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Filled up this morning and added 400ml shell 2-stroke oil to the tank. Tried not to think about the oil, so as to keep my driving the same as usual to give a fair appraisal. Some of the following MAY be psycho-sematic, time will tell.
Covered 144 km today.
First thing I noticed was the exhaust note. It sounded substantially "crisper" than I remember it.
I checked for smoke.... none seen.
She seemed easier to keep up to the 100ks up hills etc.
In traffic this afternoon, I found myself constantly having to back off the throttle to stay within the speed limit, this really came to my attention as something unusual.
I seem to remember getting about 80-90k's out of the tank before the fuel guage started to move, today it was 100.
Still hard to start warm.
Seems quieter but this could be psycho-sematic.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
The placebo effect eh? Its bloody hard to do a mod of some sort and not think it has made an improvement. Only human nature. My bikes always go faster after I wash them.

I will read your thread with interest.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I'll be watching too, it'll be interesting to see fuel savings if any.

I might get my missus to tip some in the tank one day so I dont know, if I come home raving about how good its running I can report!

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Just cause you are running the trol on 2 stroke oil doesnt make it a 2 stroke diesel engine.

There are such things as a 2 stroke diesel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just cause you are running the trol on 2 stroke oil doesnt make it a 2 stroke diesel engine.

There are such things as a 2 stroke diesel.

Hey Benno, I think you take things too literally sometimes. CRAYZYHARRY happens to be a diesel fitter/mechanic.;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
there are 2 stroke diesels and thank goodness not many left as it was the worst truck I ever had my name on Lnt loui with 692ta. all noise and no go.!!!!:confused::confused: MOARY

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
The placebo effect eh? Its bloody hard to do a mod of some sort and not think it has made an improvement. Only human nature. My bikes always go faster after I wash them.

I will read your thread with interest.
Another thing you can try that will make your vehicle accelerate faster is to use your left foot to push the accelerator down instead of your right foot and this mod is free

Give it a try & see what you think

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
there are 2 stroke diesels and thank goodness not many left as it was the worst truck I ever had my name on Lnt loui with 692ta. all noise and no go.!!!!:confused::confused: MOARY
Still plenty left in the rail and marine.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Hey crazyharry good to hear your results are positive. I am still running the 2 stroke and finding improvements in various driving conditions.
Take care mate.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
most locomotive engines are 2 stroke diesel rxcept the newer ones which are comming out with 4 strokes.
Thankfully the EMD 710 series 2 strokes are still in full production..... be interesting to see what Caterpillar does with EMD in the future.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings Gents,

Crazy Harry, in your second post was that 400 mls of 2 stroke to 95 litres of fuel?

Just asking as I thought from previous posts general consensus recommended was 200 mls, and I am

off on aroad trip this arvy and want to try the 2 stroke thing.

truck

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Greetings Gents,

Crazy Harry, in your second post was that 400 mls of 2 stroke to 95 litres of fuel?

Just asking as I thought from previous posts general consensus recommended was 200 mls, and I am

truck
I think consensus was actually the ratio 200:1 which means for 95 L tank you'd add approx 475 ml of 2 stroke oil. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greetings Gents,

truck
As far as I know, I have an 80 litre tank, (I have never actually run her out of fuel, but having had the low fuel light come on and put 78 litres in, that's what I'm working off) and using the 1:200 ratio is where I came up with the 400ml. Depending on the outcomes of this trial, I may play around with the ratio to see what happens.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 2

Only thing I have to report for now is a definite change in the attitude of the turbo.
Now getting the "push in the back" down as low as 1500 rpm whereas before it was not noticeable below 2000.
Going by the fuel guage, economy looks to have improved (fuel guages are not exactly accurate I know, but this is just going on previous history) Will not know for sure until the calculations at next fill.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts