Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on out there I wonder?

Who would spend $32k on a 36 years old car, with next to zero in modern technology, repulsive to discernable eyes, bumpy as horse pulled wagon, noisy as tractors?

I sold this thing for $7000 in 2014 with a set of brandnew bfg 33 wheels.

Attachments

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
20,313 Posts
Is the seller your buyer or has it changed hands a few more times?

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I didn't mean this is exactly the car I sold. Mine was in better shape i would say, with only 300k on the cLock and brand new 2 inch lift and etc.

I am a bit jealous as I can't even get $16k for my gu patrol with full camping setup:)

·
Registered
1989 GQ patrol wagon
50 Posts
Its amazing watching cruisers and GQ's going up in price isn't it. Even petrol models. It all depends on condition I guess. I paid $5000 for my gq td42. Its currently insured for $18k. It all comes down the fact that so many are starting to just plainly rust out. Funny thing is I bought a can of black paint to spray my axles today.. There's just fewer on the road each day, and we all want things from our younger days that are becoming fewer and fewer. If you had one of the FJ55 land cruisers you would have even more of an invesent than a 60 series. Yes mid $30k's is alot though. I wish I had of held onto that mint Kombi camper van I paid 5k for back in the 1990's.

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
What is going on out there I wonder?

Who would spend $32k on a 36 years old car, with next to zero in modern technology, repulsive to discernible eyes, bumpy as horse pulled wagon, noisy as tractors?

I sold this thing for $7000 in 2014 with a set of brand new bfg 33 wheels.
"What is going on"

I think people have worked out what most of us here worked out over a decade ago that modern cars are junk..flash and sophisticated but junk overall comparatively.

I have seen my once bog stock never driven on the beach td42 increase reasonably 40-50% over the purchase price (possibly outstripping inflation)and that's base as purchased without any of the fruit.

Depreciation..whats that?

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"What is going on"

I think people have worked out what most of us here worked out over a decade ago that modern cars are junk..flash and sophisticated but junk overall comparatively.

I have seen my once bog stock never driven on the beach td42 increase reasonably 40-50% over the purchase price (possibly outstripping inflation)and that's base as purchased without any of the fruit.

Depreciation..whats that?
I wouldn't say modern cars are junk.

To my knowledge, as a patrol lover, the difference between an old school td42 gq and a common rail zd30 gu is just but an ecu and a computer controlled injection pump.

Electronically failures are becoming less and less likely than mechanical failures due to modern technology advancement.

I had far less trouble with my 2001 gu than a 1989 td42 gq, and the gu is more comfortable to drive so I sold my gq which I loved inspite of the troubles.

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
Yeah Im selling an 80 series 1hz on gumtree, i put it up for 20 thousand thinking ill take 16. But I after a quick search I realised everyone has added another 10k ontop of their pos.

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
I wouldn't say modern cars are junk.

To my knowledge, as a patrol lover, the difference between an old school td42 gq and a common rail zd30 gu is just but an ecu and a computer controlled injection pump.

Electronically failures are becoming less and less likely than mechanical failures due to modern technology advancement.

I had far less trouble with my 2001 gu than a 1989 td42 gq, and the gu is more comfortable to drive so I sold my gq which I loved inspite of the troubles.
Yeah point taken on that vehicle as it is not really modern anymore it was old already, like who would own a modern car past warranty today, I feel sorry for young ones buying the more complicated vehicles today for a world of hurt is coming via a gearbox or injection alone....just say a diesel land cruiser V8 engine costs up to 30k to replace including labour and that is the short crate engine I think.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol DX Wagon TD42+T
97 Posts
Since the start of covid prices went stupid.. most popular new 4wds have extensive wait lists and are causing price increases amongst the second hand market.. new 79s are on a 12-18month back order. Y62s are 6months plus some people are waiting closer to a year.. crazy.

To be fair I think prices are comming back down a bit atleast with patrols.. couldn't afford to wreck blown up 3ltrs or rd28s for a while there😅

·
Registered
864 Posts
I recently sold my 80 series as I wanted / needed a ute. I really wasn't planning on selling it and was just looking at getting a cheap runabout ute for second car. I was curious about its realistic value though so just put an ad online with a ridiculous price to see what the market was like. I sold it not long after for nearly triple what I purchased it for. Got the ute and reno's done on the house with the profit 🍻

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Last month I saw a blown up 1HD-T LC80 priced $10k for sale and I was really going to buy and rebuild it but someone jumped ahead of me.

From my point of view, LC80 chassis and drivetrain are weaker than a GU patrol, the body is uglier, only thing fancy perhaps is the engine.

I was really intrigued by the fact why a directly injected 1hd-t engine is triple the price of a indirectly injected td42t.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,862 Posts
Parts scarcity? The TD42 was made until ~2010 IIRC (not for AU market :cry:) plus any time Nissan made them as spares; whereas the 1HD-T stopped back in the late 90s.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,729 Posts
Parts scarcity? The TD42 was made until ~2010 IIRC (not for AU market :cry:) plus any time Nissan made them as spares; whereas the 1HD-T stopped back in the late 90s.
They don't need spares because they never break.

Toyota also had to cancel orders for 70s because even Toyota couldn't predict how wildly popular they'd be.

Had to laugh at how John Cadogan called the 300 an intelligence test.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,862 Posts
I thought they avoided over stressing the donk by using the gearbox as a mechanical fuse?😏
Not in the 80 series. The had all H series gearboxes. The HZJ78/9 and HZJ105 had the weaker R series gearbox. Some of the 80 series gearboxes were quite valuable if the car was being wrecked, as they were a bolt in replacement for the R series gearboxes (gear lever positions lined up without modification) and relatively rare as most of them were still being used in the original vehicles.

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1HD-T has the infamous big ending issue, which needs bottom end rebuild rather very early.

Being a timing belt driven and direct injection engine, it is more fuel effecient and powerful than a TD42T, but the later is more robust and easier to modify to get more safe power.

I can't see how the overpricing is justified.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts