Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on out there I wonder?

Who would spend $32k on a 36 years old car, with next to zero in modern technology, repulsive to discernable eyes, bumpy as horse pulled wagon, noisy as tractors?

I sold this thing for $7000 in 2014 with a set of brandnew bfg 33 wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I didn't mean this is exactly the car I sold. Mine was in better shape i would say, with only 300k on the cLock and brand new 2 inch lift and etc.

I am a bit jealous as I can't even get $16k for my gu patrol with full camping setup:)

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"What is going on"

I think people have worked out what most of us here worked out over a decade ago that modern cars are junk..flash and sophisticated but junk overall comparatively.

I have seen my once bog stock never driven on the beach td42 increase reasonably 40-50% over the purchase price (possibly outstripping inflation)and that's base as purchased without any of the fruit.

Depreciation..whats that?
I wouldn't say modern cars are junk.

To my knowledge, as a patrol lover, the difference between an old school td42 gq and a common rail zd30 gu is just but an ecu and a computer controlled injection pump.

Electronically failures are becoming less and less likely than mechanical failures due to modern technology advancement.

I had far less trouble with my 2001 gu than a 1989 td42 gq, and the gu is more comfortable to drive so I sold my gq which I loved inspite of the troubles.

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Last month I saw a blown up 1HD-T LC80 priced $10k for sale and I was really going to buy and rebuild it but someone jumped ahead of me.

From my point of view, LC80 chassis and drivetrain are weaker than a GU patrol, the body is uglier, only thing fancy perhaps is the engine.

I was really intrigued by the fact why a directly injected 1hd-t engine is triple the price of a indirectly injected td42t.

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1HD-T has the infamous big ending issue, which needs bottom end rebuild rather very early.

Being a timing belt driven and direct injection engine, it is more fuel effecient and powerful than a TD42T, but the later is more robust and easier to modify to get more safe power.

I can't see how the overpricing is justified.

·
Registered
nissan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Just remember there's three types of HD motors. I was referring to the DT, the FT and FTE motors are far superior and don't have the design flaws of the DT. Pretty common these days for people to swap out their DT for a FT/FTE as no one wants them anymore. I even know a few people going from the DT to a turbo HZ and are much happier with the performace and reliability. The H150/H151 boxes have a fragile third gear arrangement which fails often to go along with the terrible syncros and gear changes. The RE4 is a dream to use in comparison with its smoother shifting and is much stronger. I blew two rear diffs and was considering doing a patrol axle swap which is becoming quite popular as it also gets rid of the other weakness with the weak axle/hub studs. I can't think of anything on the cruiser running gear that I'd rather have compared to a patrol.
The difference between 1hd-t and 1hd-ft is only the head, the latter of which has 24 valves rather than 12 valves, and hence more powerful.

1hd-Fte is electronically controlled fuel injection version of 1hd-ft, which is used in later landcruiser 100, hence the "e".

My friend had a 1hd-t, and later on he put a ft head on it.

You can't go too much boost on a 1hz engine even if you put a turbo on it to make it like a 1hd-t. It is not like td42 and td42t, totally different things, being direct injection (1hd-t) and indirect injection(1hz).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts