Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
I recently sold my 80 series as I wanted / needed a ute. I really wasn't planning on selling it and was just looking at getting a cheap runabout ute for second car. I was curious about its realistic value though so just put an ad online with a ridiculous price to see what the market was like. I sold it not long after for nearly triple what I purchased it for. Got the ute and reno's done on the house with the profit 馃嵒

Registered
I went through a couple of diffs on mine, they're notorious weak. The H series gearbox's are also made from cheese and doesn't take much engine mods before the extra torque starts destroying them too. Only thing I liked was the engines, except the sh1tbox DT! That thing was bloody terrible and even the ones that got rebuilt still didn't last as long as they should. People would spend 10k on engine mods with fancy turbos, pumps, coolers etc and they still barely made 200hp. Where's put those same mods on a turbo HZ or the FT/FTE and it was decent.

Registered
Front diffs yes. Can't say I've heard many complaints about the H series gearboxes though, nor the 1HD motors (apart from the early bearing issues). I definitely wouldn't push a 1HZ as hard as a 1HD motor.
Just remember there's three types of HD motors. I was referring to the DT, the FT and FTE motors are far superior and don't have the design flaws of the DT. Pretty common these days for people to swap out their DT for a FT/FTE as no one wants them anymore. I even know a few people going from the DT to a turbo HZ and are much happier with the performace and reliability. The H150/H151 boxes have a fragile third gear arrangement which fails often to go along with the terrible syncros and gear changes. The RE4 is a dream to use in comparison with its smoother shifting and is much stronger. I blew two rear diffs and was considering doing a patrol axle swap which is becoming quite popular as it also gets rid of the other weakness with the weak axle/hub studs. I can't think of anything on the cruiser running gear that I'd rather have compared to a patrol.

Registered
The difference between 1hd-t and 1hd-ft is only the head, the latter of which has 24 valves rather than 12 valves, and hence more powerful.

1hd-Fte is electronically controlled fuel injection version of 1hd-ft, which is used in later landcruiser 100, hence the "e".

My friend had a 1hd-t, and later on he put a ft head on it.

You can't go too much boost on a 1hz engine even if you put a turbo on it to make it like a 1hd-t. It is not like td42 and td42t, totally different things, being direct injection (1hd-t) and indirect injection(1hz).
This is totally incorrect, there's so much that's different between the DT and FT than just the head. Take a look at the pistons each use and you'll see very clearly a few of these differences. You'll also see why you can't just simply stick a FT head onto a DT without changing a **** load of other things. I don't have any pics saved on this phone but I'll give you a hint. One has the combustion bowl located centrally in the piston and the other is offset to the side. Good luck injecting your fuel in centrally with a FT head when you're still using DT pistons with offset combustion bowls.

The HZ engine loves boost, boost does not damage them. The thing that damages them is heat from too much fuel, not too much boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts