Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone ,

Just thought id put it out there , is any one or does anyone know if anyone is looking for an apprentice diesel mechanic in or around brisbane? I have been looking for about 3 months now with no luck :) , or does anyone know of a company that i can look to ( like sarina russo , builders ect ) that would take me on .
Thanks for any responses guys , and any info you leave.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
going off second hand info but try out around rocklea, archerfield and that way. heaps of places that should put ya on.
or go down the dealership track. not as bad a time in truck dealers than cars.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Hi there send me a PM and I ask around. I had to delete my email after been subject to a credit card scam.

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks oil rig , an everyone for there comments will def try archafield and rock lea , will try some dealerships :) thanks !!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Well i just got out of the boat your in now.

First up have you got any mechanical experience? i came straight out of grade 12 with no previous experience and had a hard time finding people that would even hold on to a resume. after 6 months and a lot of wasted fuel going to numerous job interviews that were clearly going to go no where i decided to do a pre apprenticeship with skills tech.

I did a mechanical pre apprenticeship but there is also a diesel fitting pre apprenticeship i think. They go for 6 months and it involves going to tafe for 2 and a half days a week and doing 250 hours work experience. At the moment they are free as part of a gov. incentive plan to increase the number of trades people.

The work experience is the big thing though, work hard enough and show that you will make a decent apprentice and it's highly likely they will offer you a job. after doing about 80 hours at Nissan i got offered my choice of a mech or diesel fitting apprenticeship at Nissan or john deere.

Other than that all i can say is keep your head up and just get around and go into ALL the diesel places, jump on seek and career one every night and have a look at all the recruiters websites as they normally have their job listings up. also might be a good idea to sign up to places like all trades Queensland.

but that's my 2 cents

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Try the council, I did my apprenticeship with them, and am now a qualified tradesman and still work with them. I think you may have missed the intake for this year, but if you want more info, pm me and i'll try and find out some contact details for you.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Hey mate,

Judging by your user name you are in the same boat as me. 21 / 22 years old? I'm 22 In January and having a really hard time trying to find anyone to put me on. I will go anywhere / do anything and I'm still struggling. Good luck and let me know if you find somewhere?

Oilrig? you have mail.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
QR National heavy diesel, any dofus can play little cylinders but when the engine block is bigger than a patrol and weighs ten times as much as one it actually something to be proud of the first time they fire up after rebuild.

Locomotive Maintenance Depot at Redbank
Locomotive Refurb/Reengine Shops at Redbank
Other locations as well

Pages - Trades

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot everyone ! Will post some more resumes tomorrow ! Thanks again everyone , hope to get somthing early next year , this year if im lucky !

·
Registered
nissan patrol
530 Posts
Give Cummins or Volvo a try, they always seem to be taking on Apprentices in Melbourne so it could be the same in your neck of the woods. Cheers.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Or join the Navy and get trained and travel do your diesel training through them.

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
any distance in around brisbane , im definantly not picky when jobs come around and their location pm me if any info :D.(liam 66)

I cant join the forces ie army or navy ect. wont let me in due to an operation:(.
dont worry i would have loved to , my mum is in the army and my dads a cop lol (not sure if its good or bad haha)

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks liam that would be tops mate ! greatly appreciated !pm if you get to talk to him , cheers.chris

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
QR National heavy diesel, any dofus can play little cylinders but when the engine block is bigger than a patrol and weighs ten times as much as one it actually something to be proud of the first time they fire up after rebuild.

Locomotive Maintenance Depot at Redbank
Locomotive Refurb/Reengine Shops at Redbank
Other locations as well

Pages - Trades
Missed the intake for next year unfortunately.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Yeah its a bit late but its the kinda of place you start at and stay with till retirement...... always next year and they may run a mid year intake.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Well i just got out of the boat your in now.

First up have you got any mechanical experience? i came straight out of grade 12 with no previous experience and had a hard time finding people that would even hold on to a resume. after 6 months and a lot of wasted fuel going to numerous job interviews that were clearly going to go no where i decided to do a pre apprenticeship with skills tech.

I did a mechanical pre apprenticeship but there is also a diesel fitting pre apprenticeship i think. They go for 6 months and it involves going to tafe for 2 and a half days a week and doing 250 hours work experience. At the moment they are free as part of a gov. incentive plan to increase the number of trades people.

The work experience is the big thing though, work hard enough and show that you will make a decent apprentice and it's highly likely they will offer you a job. after doing about 80 hours at Nissan i got offered my choice of a mech or diesel fitting apprenticeship at Nissan or john deere.

Other than that all i can say is keep your head up and just get around and go into ALL the diesel places, jump on seek and career one every night and have a look at all the recruiters websites as they normally have their job listings up. also might be a good idea to sign up to places like all trades Queensland.

but that's my 2 cents

Cheers,
Nic
Nic's advice is bang on the money. Nowadays most people simply don't walk into a job without some basic knowledge/skill/ability. Unfortunately there is only one way to get it. Doing a tafe course with work experience is probably the best way. A potential employer can also have a look at you and work out if you are worth the risk. Employing someone you haven't had any exposure too is a risk. If you are prepared to do some study and work experience it starts to paint a picture and demonstrate that you are prepared to apply yourself. I would also offer to work for free for a week or two just so an employer could have a look at me (if you go the tafe route, you have already ticked that box). People can very quickly work out if you are worth it or not. You have already worked out that your current strategy isn't working, so time to try a different approach. Good luck with it mate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts