Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

Have been looking at the diesel gas conversion for a GU and almost all the info points in favour of having it done and seems to have been the best mod people have done etc. (according to 'diesel-gas australia website' :rolleyes:)

Just wondering if there are any cons at all or engine problems in the long run? Otherwise seems like it would be worth outlaying the $$ (is the LPG rebate still available??)

How many forum members run diesel gas systems?

Cheers :cheers:

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I will try and find out at our next meeting what system one of our club members had, but his motor went boom. It was a motor known for problems and not sure if it was the DG that did it or just expired as they boom.

have a search around, theres loads of threads on them.

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Yea run it on mine. 4.2 turbo diesel GU. No issues at all. Heaps more power and way better fuel economy. The system is set up half way between power and economy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had mine about two and half years and 55,000km and second the comments re power and fuel. Mine was Diesel Gas Technologies from Marjac (Repco) at Maroochydore. You may want to try 3" exhaust first as that also makes a big difference.
I believe the rebate is currently $1500 going to $1250 after 1st July and cost is approx $4900 less rebate.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Have been looking at the diesel gas conversion for a GU and almost all the info points in favour of having it done and seems to have been the best mod people have done etc. (according to 'diesel-gas australia website' :rolleyes:)

Just wondering if there are any cons at all or engine problems in the long run? Otherwise seems like it would be worth outlaying the $$ (is the LPG rebate still available??)

How many forum members run diesel gas systems?

Cheers :cheers:
Talk to Dronus4x4 he has it and has for a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi

I have Dieselgas (brand name) in my 2001 GU ZD30 automatic since 2006. Vehicle has travelled 187,000 kms with no problems except routine maintenance.

Covered over 50,000 kms since installation.

Diesel gas installation gives better engine starting and smoother quieter running. More power especially from standstill and low engine speed.

Auto gear box does not change down as often on long hills. Turbo lag seems to have all but disappeared.

Fuel use checked over about 10,000 kms prior to and after installation. Similar driving both tests roughly 60% easy suburb, 20% hi way, 15% dirt road, 5% 4wd rough track, sand etc including low range.

Prior to installation 12.5 ltrs / 100 kms (diesel only)
After installation 12.9 ltrs / 100 kms diesel + LPG. 10.9 ltrs diesel and 2.9 LPG.

I think the increase in total fuel consumption running on diesel gas is because the vehicle goes so much easier so we drive away from traffic lights and up hills more quickly.

We did have a few minor teething problems following installation by a firm in Kingswood near Penrith NSW. We have found the Dieselgas agents in Kingswood and Dugong NSW and the agent in Fyshwick A.C.T. good to do business with.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
What engine would you be fitting it to, out of curiosity? I have it on a RD28 and it nothing short of brilliant. I don't really care that much for economy (although it is a bonus) but the extra punch is what it's all about. The one little problem I encountered was some poor electrical connections that caused issues in wet mud / water crossings, but an hour or so of " water proofing " sorted that out. It just made the engine splutter and knock if those connections got really wet.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
And the 3" exhaust helps too!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mate runs it on his TD42 and has had issues. He got it from dieselgas and has pinging issues since, at the moment he has it switched off and is going back for the third time shortly. As far as I know he wouldn't do it again.

Get it set up right!!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Yeah ive got it on my ZD30. I didnt pay for it as it was put on my the guy i bought the car from. I personally think it is excellent - my patrol has done 185,000km and has plenty of get up and go. The Gas kicks in once your engine warms up (about 75degrees) and you can tell the difference when it comes on. If you run out of gas, it just turns off and runs on diesel.

Mine is an inlet fumigation type from dieselgas australia.

On a recent trip i filled up in Morphettvale and drove to Kadina which whereis tells me is 176km.. i topped up again there as i was going to go play in the sand hills and it took 14L of diesel. Thats pretty good economy...

The gas gives more power by acting as a catalyst - the diesel burns more efficiently.

I cant see any negative effects - apart from the initial outlay..

If you need any pics of how its set up, let me know..

·
Registered
nissan
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the info everyone, very helpful!

Youngbloke it would be a Zd30, so fairly similar to the RD28 I'd imagine? How much is 3" exhaust upgrade?

dronus4X4 yes those stats and characteristics sound pretty close to what DG Australia are pushing on their website. Although from other people's responses it seems that the increase in power is more impressive than the increase in economy. I would be looking for a good mix of more power and fuel economy, do you have control as to how it's set up?

I had seen somewhere that installation was $3850 minus $2000 rebate so just under 2 grand which seems pretty good. Looks like the issue is the installation itself, making sure a dodgey job doesn't end up with trips back to the installer.

Does the tank fit fairly well underneath on the GUs?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
yeah it looks like this

You lose the centre muffler.. i had the standard exhaust on when i bought it (they just cut the centre muffler out and put a pipe in there). Ive sinse fitted a beadesert 2 3/4 exhaust which only has the hiflo cat up front, no muffler at all..

I dont know if i have any control, if it aint broke i wont try and fix it! im fairly sure it can be tuned, however i dont know how it is done. I get an excellent combination of economy and power.. i reakon the guy who had it put on got it fitted and tuned really well..

I have a guard that goes over the tank to protect it...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
6 Posts
Diesel/LPG

Hello all,
Have been interested to read these posts of a couple years back. I should start by admitting I own an auto 2000 GUII 3.0l which we use to tow a 21ft caravan, about 2.5t, so right on the legal limit. Originally I fitted a Safari DTronic chip and did not notice any difference.
A mate at our caravan club turned up with the LPG kit fitted and reckoned best thing since sliced bread. Soon after I bit the bullet and had a kit fitted by Action 4WD in Warragul, VIC. This was done in March 2010. As mentioned by others, the difference was noticeable immediately. The system can be tweaked by the use of different jet size to give more power or more economy.
Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about the system but it doesn't seem to have taken off. Maybe it's the cost, although at the time the rebate was $1705.00.
Since fitting the kit, we have covered about 85,000kms, about half of that with the caravan on back. My average diesel use with the van on 18l/100km. It's a while since I towed without gas, maybe time to do some checks.
Maybe a con would be when outback LPG is not available or often too expensive, so that no real saving is made.
Another possible con which I would love some feedback on turned up a couple months ago when I asked my mechanic to give the Patrol a run on the Dynamometer, which revealed big spikes in temperatures with the gas on. I guess because LPG burns hotter.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
A decent intercooler and tune will see significantly more power increase and better economy than any gas system will get you.

A water/methanol system will also get you alot more power and again better economy gains than any gas system will.

I have heard engineers from Bosh/Zexel/Denso/Delphi etc... talk about the use of gas with diesel on your average 4x4. They all found that there was no sufficient test equipment available at the time to measure the effects on the engine longevity and cylinder pressures etc...
So instead of leaving it there, they invented the test equipment that now has become the norm for testing new engine longevity under a wide range of conditions, and show the damage cylinder pressure spikes cause.

Their findings showed unless it was injected by using a completely separate injection system, directly into the cylinder at the precise time, it was damaging to the engine. Cylinder pressures were peaking much earlier than they should have been due to the flame propagation increase that came with having lpg in the cylinder and its tendency to preignite made this factor more pronounced.

The tests they found positive results on were stationary engines of fixed rpm generally under 1000rpm, that would have seperate injection systems for the gas, or had control over the diesel injection timing to bring the peak cylinder pressures back to where they needed to be (the latter part of this is crucial as nobody has seperate direct injectors for gas on diesels)

I absorbed hours and hours of data from those conferences, more than I could ever hope to relay in this thread. Im happy to keep giving info or answering questions but I know people can get all defensive when they have brought a product and been told its gods gift etc...

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,142 Posts
I am no expert on this stuff, but comparing the LPG verses water injection the numbers certainly do not go in favour of LPG. The water is better from what I can work out.

And there is no detriment to your engine, whereas LPG is another kettle of fish.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,734 Posts
Found it hard enough to tune one fuel as aposed to two fuels with different ignition points and to make matters worse trying to get lpg with the same rating. The difference between refinerys is substancial, makes tuning difficult let alone reliable

Turn diesel into straight gas
Makes more power, more torque with far less emissions

·
Registered
nissan GQ
64 Posts
I had a Diesel-Gas Australia system on my TD42 GQ - gave better economy & power, especially when towing. Did 80,000 Kms with it - BUT get the system set up by a DGA expert! Some installers are useless & mine was installed with a bigger jet (caused pinging). Also added a 2.5" exhaust.
I have it on my GU (TD42Ti) - it is even better on the turboed engine! Also had it done with a 3" exhaust. It was expensive but it certainly has benefits! I've been getting close to the "old 30mpg" in a vehicle that is quite heavy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts