1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wtf?

diesel pain dogs drivers, worse to come chris zappone
april 12, 2011 - 9:18am

drivers of diesel cars face higher costs at the bowser without the benefit of weekly dips in price like petrol, analysts say.

Petrol prices stand at 30-month highs, with more increases expected to come. Diesel, like petrol, is influenced by the global fundamentals of supply and demand, which have been strained recently by the political volatility in the middle east.

Racv general manager of public policy brian negus said the libyan crisis was causing "economic speculation” which affected domestic petrol and diesel pricing.

“normally what drives price is supply and demand. Currently, it's people speculating as to what the strife in (the middle east) might do to the supply in the future.”

in march, the weekly average price of diesel rose by around 9 cents in melbourne while a litre of unleaded petrol rose by about 5 cents, data from petrol price tracking service motormouth shows.

Motoring and services group nrma senior economist wal setkiewicz said the cost of diesel was accelerating more quickly than petrol.

Before the financial crisis hit in 2008, a litre of diesel rose to $1.90 in sydney versus $1.60 for a litre of regular unleaded, he said.

“i would expect that if current trends continue the differential between diesel and unleaded will widen again,” he said.

No 'cheap' days

but diesel's steadily increasing cost comes without the weekly price cycle that can swing as much as 12 cents over seven days, allowing savvy petrol consumers to buy on cheaper days, mr negus said.

“petrol at certain parts of the week comes down in price,” he said. That's because retailers change prices to stay competitive with local rivals. “you don't get the same demand issues for diesel because of the lower volume sold.”

on march 1, a litre of unleaded petrol in sydney was at $1.40 a litre and has fluctuated between about $1.37 and $1.49 since then. Over the same period, diesel has risen from $1.42 to about $1.53.

Rising costs will also hit businesses who rely on diesel-powered trucks and light commercial vehicles.

In addition to the popularity of diesel vehicles in australia, the industrialisation of china and india is helping to drive up diesel prices.

Cleaner diesel

petrol consuming vehicles made up 84.3 per cent of the market in 2006 but only 73 per cent in 2010, fcai data show. Over the same period, diesel vehicles rose from 13.8 per cent to 25.2 per cent.

The quality of the diesel used by motorists has increased in recent years as well, according to racv's mr negus.

From 1994, the european union began raising the standards of diesel production, in successive measures. In the early 2000s, australia adopted the same standards, creating a cleaner, more high-performance fuel.

“the diesel you're buying now is refined at a higher standard,” said mr negus. “it's particularly suited to higher performance diesel cars (people) are buying now.”

historically diesel cars were cheaper to operate than petrol vehicles, said mr negus, both because of lower fuel consumption levels and lower diesel prices.

“but the differential in fuel price increases on diesel means you won't get your money back for the first three years on a new car, based on rising costs.”

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Wtf? drivers of diesel cars face higher costs at the bowser without the benefit of weekly dips in price like petrol, analysts say.
How much money does a journalist get paid to research that bit of info we didn't know. :rolleyes:

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Maybe i should start looking for a petty :(...

Nah.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Sigh... and our NRMA, RACV et al fees pay for the life support of these 'genuises'.

Next thing you know they will publish a two page expose' that reveals slamming your fingers in a car door will probably hurt 99.7% of the time.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I just filled both cars up yesterday totaling around $250. Both petrol and diesel have been going up at a rapid rate.

I log consumption on both cars, including pump price.

98 ron over the last fills has been: 1.58, 1.50, 1.59, 1.53, 1.63, 1.63 (ave 10.6 l/100km)
Diesel over the last ones has been: 1.27, 1.34, 1.37, 1.45, 1.52. (ave 12.3 l/100km)

Both cars are costing a bucket to fill atm but are probably comparable in running costs.

I dont know about other people, but I've never seen a swing during the week of 12c...??? 3ish perhaps...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richo said:
$310 to fill up on Sunday, meh......
petty cash for someone like you :p

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Filled up the Patrol this week $1.82 a litre for diesel

Thank goodness it's only a weekend toy
And more so, thank goodness for the company fuel card that fills the company car for all my other km's!!!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Filled up the Patrol this week $1.82 a litre for diesel

Thank goodness it's only a weekend toy
And more so, thank goodness for the company fuel card that fills the company car for all my other km's!!!
WTF? where are u?

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
High prices of fuel, and the worse thing about it's not even there own fuel. Its cheap **** bought of the boats off port and then it get sold as there own fuel to consumers.

Why cant a jurno research that side of things..... Where getting ripped off more, we use real diesel from the company and there is a massive difference.

If your in the rocklea (Brisbane) area,take not of the amount of unmarked fuel trucks go into the shell depot.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
I live in Derby in the Kimberley
Nobody can ever work out why it's so dear here, I mean, we have a BP and a Shell
Surely the fact that they are owned by the same person couldn't have anything to do with it
Oh wait, that can't be right, he only owns the BP - he put the Shell in his daughters name!!!
You can drive out to Fitzroy Crossing, still in our Shire, a third the size and another couple of hundred KM inland to cart it, and it's usually about 10c a litre cheaper there than here
We are known for having the dearest fuel in the Kimberley (Town based)
I guess that's the price for living in paradise though

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
we are around $1.70 a litre + road tax over the ditch here :(

of course this increases the cost of goods being transported and it all gets passed on so end consumer will cop the increase in price. strangely there has been little on tv about it, petrol goes up a few cents and its an outrage, diesel goes up 30% and not a sound to be heard.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I wonder how much the price of Diesel has to go up before the price of TD42's comes Down?

I want to buy another truck but they are a bit exy atm.
Doubt that will happen Glort (relatively)
They are still in hot demand. i cant see that demand waning, ever, not whilst everything forward of this point is fat, heavy, IFS all round, and full of electronics, and with a starting ask of $85,000 plus.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Australia adopted standards for cleaner more efficient diesel, What a load of crap! We import from Singapore. We're like sheep if we believe this BS.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
fuel costs

hi guy;s watched Landline on Sunday they had this new company called linc energy that claim that they can produce 200 litres for 30 dollars here in qld but the power to be wont give him a go check out the site Linc Energy - Welcome and see what us 4x4 drivers can do to help this bloke out to make fuel in Australia cheaper and keep the money here in oz cheers dingo

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Australia adopted standards for cleaner more efficient diesel, What a load of crap! We import from Singapore. We're like sheep if we believe this BS.
What do you mean? Around 75% is refined here in Australia, probably 100% here in Vic and SA.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
WA only gets about 15% of "it" from Singapore and that is mostly the "Gulls, Betta Choice, United Servos" contribution to the market

Kwinana is the largest Refinery in Australia and the vast majority of it's output is consumed in WA

Whilst theer is still some imports for the mainstreamer retailers the majority of Diesel (and ULP) for BP, Shell and Caltex all comes from the BP Refinery. It must be you Easterners choking down all that imported rubbish to get the "Australian Imported Diesel" up to 40%.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Stanvac closed here in SA and WA gets it from singapore

The security of petrol and diesel supplies in Western Australia

Along with other refineries, When stanvac closed it was on the news our diesel comes from singapore,New Guinie, Middle east.
Facts about Diesel Prices
Sounds strange, bordering on bizzare. Importing oil perhaps, but refined diesel from middle east? Would be about $10 per L.

Mobil and Shell in Altona and Geelong still supply all of Vic. Australia as a whole, is 61.6% self-sufficient for diesel. The rest, coming from SE asia, would almost certainly all go to mining areas. I dont think much, if any imported diesel would make its way to the bowser.

How much diesel fuel is imported, exported and used in Australia?

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
Australian demand for automotive diesel oil was 19,044 million litres (ML) in 2009-10.
During the financial year 2009-10,
• 8,772 ML of refined automotive diesel oil was imported, mainly from Singapore, Japan and Korea.
• 206 ML of refined automotive diesel oil was exported, mainly to Singapore.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]How much diesel fuel is produced in Australia?
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
Australia has seven major operating petroleum refineries producing fuels, including petrol, diesel and aviation turbine fuel. These refineries are located in Queensland (2), New South Wales (2), Victoria (2) and Western Australia (1). These are owned by BP, Shell, ExxonMobil and the ASX listed Caltex Australia Limited.​
Most of Australia’s refineries were built in the 1950s and 1960s. Australian refineries are small compared to many new refineries being built in the Asia-Pacific region. For example, Reliance Industries refinery in Jamnagar, India, is nearly twice Australia's total refining capacity. Despite this, in 2009-10 Australian refineries supplied around 73 per cent of total Australian demand for petroleum products.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Gotta love it when our fuel prices are driven by what "might" happen. Nobody is going to shed a tear one day when oil runs out and all the OPEC countries are taken back to the stone age.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts