Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've bought a series 2 GU and she's on her way from Cairnes to Syd (should get it by end of next week)

The car as it stands:
2000 GU ST. Complete car With no engine
Originally a Zd30 that's been removed
Automatic and stock as a rock

The plans:
Engine transplant to TD42 from my Mav as a donor for wiring loom, gearbox cross member, bell housing etc

Remove the auto box (although I had plans to keep it behind the 4.2 but much easier to drop a manual box) so I'll try and flog it off.

Put a ser4 manual box from a zd30 in with the conversion that I can grab off a mate for a good price and to save mucking around fitting the box from the Mav into the GU and supposedly the zd30 boxes are stronger anyway?!

Transfer whatever I can from my Mav to save some money for now... coils, shocks, adjustable panhards, extended brake lines, hd lower arms, safari tuff clutch done about 40000ks, alloy wheels and 35", autometer gauges etc...

So I will be updating this thread regularly as the build starts and uploading any hurdles that we will come across and how we overcome them.. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way too :) and any constructive comments are welcome.

I've been reading many of the threads on people's td42 conversions and it all seams straight forward (but it never really is)
so there we go and wish me luck lol

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate
A couple of pics from the seller but I'll upload more when it gets here..

I'm looking forward to get started on it :)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Looks alright for the money, saw it passing through Gympie on the tilt tray Friday morning about 7.00am. Small world.

Reactions: Dieseljoe

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,991 Posts
Definitely the best wheel/tyre combo I've seen on a GU.

Reactions: Dieseljoe

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts

Yer that looks sik.

Probably just the rim offset but are they still GU axles or did they swap them out for GQ axles? They look too narrow.

It wouldn't be that much extra work to get the auto going..considering you've already got a box and pedals. And what's wrong with the gearbox in your mav?

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,721 Posts
The fact that it's a 2000, was originally a ZD30, and the radio vol knob on the left tell me it's a series 2........

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks alright for the money, saw it passing through Gympie on the tilt tray Friday morning about 7.00am. Small world.
Really...What's the chances of that?! :p

Haha I agree, that stance got me sold.

Yer that looks sik.

Probably just the rim offset but are they still GU axles or did they swap them out for GQ axles? They look too narrow.

It wouldn't be that much extra work to get the auto going..considering you've already got a box and pedals. And what's wrong with the gearbox in your mav?
I asked the seller the same question and he said the Diffs are standard GU Diffs, but I'll measure them from disc to disc when I get it :/

I would prefer the auto but leaning towards converting for the simplicity of the manual..
so what's actually involved in keeping it behind the TD42 out of my mav' apart from torque converter, belhousing?
It would also need a stand alone computer wouldn't it??
Nothing wrong with my gearbox at all just don't want to muck around cutting trans tunnel since I've been offered a Gu gearbox to bolt straight up for a steal.

The fact that it's a 2000, was originally a ZD30, and the radio vol knob on the left tell me it's a series 2........
Ok great thanks, now I know how to tell the difference

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Yes you'd need a td42 flex plate, bellhousing, low stall torque converter, and compushift TCU. A nomad value body would be a good idea too depending on your power goals. I guess it could start to add up.

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks timoed
I'm not in a position to be splashing out a lot of cash on it initially so if I can get it to work and upgrade the valve body etc later on that would be my option otherwise manual it is.

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just spoke to Rodney from wholesale and to keep the auto box I'll need to throw a lot of $$$ on it, so the decision is back to the manual box.

Cost for the conversion if anyone is interested:
1/ Heavy Duty “Nomad” Nissan Patrol Valve Body Assembly is $1195 inc gst

2/ Heavy Duty Low Stall T4 Double Kiln Bronzed Torque Convertor $880 inc gst

3/ Change Over 3 Bolt Bell housing $295 inc gst

4/ Engine to Transmission 3 Bolt Sandwich Plate with removable plactic convertor bolt acsess point $225 inc gst

5/ Complete Standalone Computer System for $1995 inc gst
Comes with:
Stand Alone Transmission ECU
Wiring Harness
Dash Display/Programmer

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dieseljoe's GU TD42 conversion

In the last couple of days the Engine mounts been cut off and the engine bay got cleaned, interior got a bit of a clean removed seats dash panels, centre console and found a pen under the carpet with my name on it :)
Removed the fuel tank and the sender panel (it had 20ltr of murky diesel in it) emptied inspected the internals and no scum or growth inside, so will clean and paint it and bolt it back on.
My good mate Options007-Rob came and helped out but found him hiding in the engine bay a couple of times :p Thanks mate ur a good bloke sometimes..
A complete paint job is on the cards contemplating a colour change as well so while the engine bay is empty it will be getting painted black.

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Udercariage is getting a bit of attention today and what I thought that looked to be surface rust on the Diffs and chassis is just dirt so I'm giving up on the wire brush and going to fire up my 5000psi water blaster and clean it up then paint

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I prefer the Engine bay done in black.
Before and after

The PADDING is in good nick just a bit of Matt black and good as new

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Hi mate looks like we are running about the same in progress

Will race you to rego hahah

I will be painting in my engine bay as well not sure if I'm going to do the same as you but it will be tidied up

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The engine bay being black should blend in with any colour I end up choosing to re spray the rest of the car.
Not sure I want to race you for rego..your wiring and mounts are already sorted lol I haven't even started yet haha

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Hi guys, just stumbled on your post and thread....you two are a few days in front of me....My zd30 stopped 2 weeks ago and I'm in the process of removing it for a TD42Ti conversion...Up to unbolting the gear box then the motor can come out...

I will be watching this thread with anticipation....

Good luck Dieslejoe and the - truckster with your build

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shame about your engine giving its last breath mate.. On a lighter note you proly wanted it to give up to do the conversion anyway ;)

This is great a few conversions happening at the same pace, it should be good with sharing info and helping each other out to some degree :)

Good luck to you too and look forward to your input and progress on your conversion.

Is yours a ZD auto or manual?

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Dieslejoe, mine is a manual and will be staying a manual....I've picked up a TD42Ti from Brisbane Motor Imports. Jason up there got hold of an 06 model with only 108,000kms on it... fingers crossed it will be delivered on Friday..I've got the weld in mounts coming from Garry at NizBits this week also....I'll post some picks up in the next few days.....hows your build going

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dieseljoe's GU TD42 conversion

Well for me it was no brainer when I found out the cost to adapt the auto to the TD. So will be dropping a Gu manual box in and be done.
That's very low K's good find mate, are you getting the loom and computer with it?
Think I'll be ordering the mounts from Nizbits too.
All I've done so far is just tidy it up a bit and planning at this stage.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts