Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My GR is starting to do a very strange noise...

In the last days when I leave home in the first 50 meters it starts doing a metal noise in the rear, like the gear wasn't in place ( metal with metal noise ), and then if I make a turn it makes a louder noise "clunck" and stops the metal noise!?

Can the dif lock over night slip and in the morning is 50% (or so) locked???

Thank you for all the comments!

·
Registered
nissan patrol / nissan safari
182 Posts
Okay I see, sounds very much the same as mine.

I noticed that it only happened when I previously have reversed up my driveway to park then next time I drive out it happens.
My analysis is that it has to do with "negative torque" (reversing) on the drive train.
I then checked the hand book and found that there are 2 spacers on the pinion shaft to adjust the exact position of the gearing between pinion and the ring gear, they call them "drive pinion bearing adjuster spacer". In fact there are two parts the washer and the spacer.

Now my question is: Could this part be worn allowing the gear shaft to shift when reversing?
Mine started doing this about 100k's back now 320k's on the clock.
What is the mileage on your vehicle?

(p.s. I copy this part into my thread as well)

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My has "only" 185k's on the clock!

And the dif lock works perfect to engage...

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!!!

The problem isn't on the difflock!!!

Last time it started to do the noise after beeing parked for a few days I stroke the trasnfer ger box lever back to the 4H position (without enganging in 4H) and it did the "clunck" and all got back to normal!

The "problem" is in the transfer gear box... :confused:

With this any one can give a new hint!?

Thank you all!

Kind regards,

Tiago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts